• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sure grip available in 1970 Coronet RT with AC?

68WS27

Local time
7:24 PM
Reaction score
Looks like my 70 RT has a 742 case with open 3:23 gears. Since the car is nearly all original I'm guessing this is the way it came from the factory. I was told that an RT with a 440 and H51 AC did not come with a sure grip, unless it was specially ordered. There is no axle package appearing on the fender tag and no broadcast sheet with the car.

Thoughts? Opinions??

It would have come with a 489 case from the factory. So this has been changed. Pull it out and look at the date on the ring gear.

Looks like my 70 RT has a 742 case with open 3:23 gears. Since the car is nearly all original I'm guessing this is the way it came from the factory. I was told that an RT with a 440 and H51 AC did not come with a sure grip, unless it was specially ordered. There is no axle package appearing on the fender tag and no broadcast sheet with the car.

Thoughts? Opinions??

SG has nothing to do with A/C.

An 3.23 open rear was standard with SG optional with or without a/c. Ordering SG was not 'special order'. It would have been a normal option. All you had to do was check the box.
You could get the optional 3:55 gears with SG with A/C

And I agree. It should have a 489 case as stock.

D91_H51.jpg

Last edited:
I'll just add that my 70 Bee had AC and 3.55 SG- 489 case.

I've got the fender tag (and the title) somewhere...if I can ever find it...

I've been told this combo is unusual, thanks to the gentleman above.

What you couldn't get on a 440 was AC and a 4 speed.

You could on a 383.

Thanks a lot guys. I'm more familiar with 68 and 69 B Bodies and I know that 70 had some different things going on, so this kind of info is super helpful. And you can't believe what some random fella tells you at cruise night, that's for sure!

Now I gotta go digging through my parts pile to see if that 489 case is still there.... somewhere......

489 case isnt a sure thing.

Ive seen a couple cars (including my own former 1970 challenger 340 )
That had a 742 case diff.

Most dealerships ordered these cars for the 'sales bank' or regular stock and most of the ones(dealership employees) ordering these cars didn't know squat about them. Heck, back then a lot of buyers didn't know what a Sure Grip was either plus the dealer was trying to make every single dollar possible so they ordered them as with as few options as possible knowing that it was going to be mainly young people buying them and figured the general public didn't know any better either.

Auto Transport Service
Back