• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sure grip lubricant

flatiron44

Local time
11:18 AM
Reaction score
What is a good choice of lubricant for a sure grip 8.75 Reared ?

Been using this one for years. Also add a tube of equa torque friction modifier for the sure grip clutches or cones.

20200807_200713.jpg

What is a good choice of lubricant for a sure grip 8.75 Reared ?

I use Red Line 75W90NS GL-5 gear oil and Red Line Limited Slip Friction Modifier for tuning slippage...
0000208_75w90ns-gl-5-gear-oil_464.jpeg
0000970_limited-slip-friction-modifier_464.jpeg
For maximum lock up add 1oz of Red Line Limited Slip Friction Modifier at a time to clutch-type limited slip units to eliminate chatter.

Walmart Supertech 80w90 , it’s GL5 rated and the Ford friction modifier is what Cass at Dr. Diff recommends. I just put it in my Dana a couple months ago, no problems...,

Lucas 75-140 and the bearings last forever....plus a bottle of Ford additive for clutch sure grips.
---and always check with the manufacturer of your unit on the use of synthetic or non-synthetic gear oil.

Used to be kinda hard to find that stuff and almost always ended up at the dealership paying a premium.

Now my local O'Reily's has at least three different brands on the shelf including pre-mixed with 80/90 Castrol brand.

I only use the Ferd additive, that stuff can’t be beat.

Agree with 5.7 hemi. I have been hearing the ford additive works the best, for a looong time. I'm using it even in a locker.

Agree with 5.7 hemi. I have been hearing the ford additive works the best, for a looong time. I'm using it even in a locker.
Speaking of locker, how do I know if I have a locker in my Dana 60 does it click or drag a little sometimes on one side?

My locker click-click-clicks, on a tight turn,in either direction, and has a little lash going from reverse to a forward gear, but it locks up like a spool at the track. If you have an IRregular banging from your sure grip, you need more "posi" lube, or go do a series of figure eights in a vacant parking lot.
The clicking is regular, depending on wheel speed thru the turn.
I'm sure there are lockers for danas, I just don't know how common they are. The dana sure grips are very stout, and if you need more strength from a dana , a spool is the common choice.
I went to locker because my friend that did the setup ran his own rear end shop and got me a great discount (the locker was.much cheaper for me than any clutch suregrips I could find). For a primarily strip-occasional street car it was perfect. I just have to remember to always be going forward before applying power.
Edit: my locker is in an 8 3/4.

I have Mopar additive in my sure-grip. It sure did make noise without it one time when I changed the fluid and forgot to add any.

For sure the clutch type limited slip needs the additive, Ford gets high praise, Mopar worked fine for me in the mid 70's & 80's with both 8 3/4 and Dana so did the Ford. The lube style that claims to be good for "posi" doesn't work adequately. Any of the quality gear lubes Valvoline, Lucas, Red Line, Mobile 1 with the Mopar or Ford friction modifier.

Mopar limited slip came in two forms, the early "clutch" style and later "cone" style. Both should use the friction modifier.

Auto Transport Service
Back