• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Survivor Tent

The term 'Survivor' has been bandied about for so long, and is almost as over-used as 'Barn Find'
1657158296654.png
< " HEY !! What's wrong with a barn find ? "

Exactly, my car has everything original down to the hubcaps, trunk mat, interior, etc. Engine and trans are as they came from the factory, save new hoses and belts, new repro fan clutch and someone put a four barrel on it 40 years ago or so. Front end parts haven't been replaced either. I just thought others who are restoring one might like to be able to see the brackets on the engine, underhood details, etc. Now, since some moron had Earl Scheib spray it 30 or so years ago, it doesn't qualify. I'm ok with it, just don't agree. No way to prove every panel has original paint on any car, without grinding into it. But at least now I know not to waste my time. Still will think about taking it to the nationals in August, but RoadKill nights is the same weekend, and I'd really like to go there. Another bucket list item.
Thanks everyone for your input.

I consider Mel's tent as a group of very high level Survivors. And these tents and displays don't have room for everyone. This is an attraction and it has a cost. So they are going to get the highest amount/quality survivor possible.

Just because you're not selected for that tent, doesn't mean your car can't be enjoyed by others. There's are 100's of other vehicles not in that tent too. You can see by the responses there are different thoughts on what a "Survivor" is to them.

So it can be appreciated without being in some tent.

Last edited:
Completely original vehicle. If fortunate, the vehicle will look the same as the day it was delivered to the dealership

TRUE survivors are few and far between, and after 50+ years of dedicated care and preservation, they become virtually useless for those looking to actually drive their investments. But the term is very popular today, as evidence by the masses jumping on the bandwagon and claiming their car is a member of this elite fraternity - until they add "only painted once, stock engine rebuild, replacement transmission, etc...." Sorry fellas, those cars are NOT true survivors anymore. My car is a genuine survivor and is only driven about a hundred miles a year at this point out of the desire to continue its preservation. Do I admire the people who drive the wheels off of their restored cars? I sure do! But certain cars DESERVE to be pampered and treated with reverence. Mel Majors and his son have dedicated a lot of time & energy to assembling and showcasing these special automobiles. There's a reason the Survivor Tent is one of the biggest attractions at Carlisle every year.

Survivor Tent.JPG

9520 5.jpg

What constitutes a survivor car? Any specifics they look for? Just curious. Thanks in advance.
IMHO, survivor is a car with as much original paint, interior, drivetrain, wheels, exhaust, options, etc. as possible, still intact, complete, drive-able, or at least complete and able to get running with minimum work. If it has original carb, alternator, water pump, ps pump, master cylinder, manifolds, the more it fits the description. example: a guy I know bought a 442 with 30k miles, belonging to the original owner, with a 1983 inspection sticker on it. 4 speed, posi, 2 door coupe, factory am/fm 8-track stereo, buckets, console. needs a battery, carb rebuild, headliner. has original paint, but needs to be spot painted. all orginal sheetmetal, bumpers, glass, exhaust. that's a survivor. typically the longer it's been sitting, or passed hands to hands without being driven much, the more of a survivor it is. if the engine/trans/rear has been changed, it's really not a survivor, just the rolling body is.

i hate to say it but I dont know. Will go look tomorrow. Ive found a sheet listing options under the seat and i found a bunch of IBM punch cards in glove compartment. Members told me they told the factory floor what the build sheet will say.

I consider my 1973 Road Runner to be a survivor. Others might think differently and that's okay. I am the original owner and purchased new over 49 years ago. The car still has 100% original paint (999 code, special order) from day one. Interior is also 100% original from day one. Engine, trans, and rear end have never been rebuilt or out of the car. Being that I owned it when I was young (a long time ago...lol) I did install some of the usual bolt on parts from back in the day. Headers, Holley, Hi Rise Edelbrock, etc. I have kept most of the original parts. I also have all the original paperwork that the car was delivered with. My Road Runner has always been on the road and I still take it out for nice rides every week or two. Love driving her.

20170518_200101.jpg
20170602_133328.jpg

I consider my 1973 Road Runner to be a survivor. Others might think differently and that's okay. I am the original owner and purchased new over 49 years ago. The car still has 100% original paint (999 code, special order) from day one. Interior is also 100% original from day one. Engine, trans, and rear end have never been rebuilt or out of the car. Being that I owned it when I was young (a long time ago...lol) I did install some of the usual bolt on parts from back in the day. Headers, Holley, Hi Rise Edelbrock, etc. I have kept most of the original parts. I also have all the original paperwork that the car was delivered with. My Road Runner has always been on the road and I still take it out for nice rides every week or two. Love driving her.

View attachment 1311168View attachment 1311170
Is that FC7 paint, In Violet? I sent pictures to Rob Wolf and he featured a car I found in MCG, it was a 72 Challenger, I believe, and had the 999 paint code and was factory purple too.
Sweet car and to me, a perfect example of a survivor! Thanks for sharing and fantastic story.

Is that FC7 paint, In Violet? I sent pictures to Rob Wolf and he featured a car I found in MCG, it was a 72 Challenger, I believe, and had the 999 paint code and was factory purple too.
Sweet car and to me, a perfect example of a survivor! Thanks for sharing and fantastic story.
Thank you. The special order paint is Regal Blue Metallic (B9). When I went to the dealer to order my car back in '73, I saw an Imperial on the showroom floor in that color with a white interior, and decided that was the color I wanted my car to be. My dad was the sales manager at the dealership at that time and told me that color wasn't available on the Road Runner. I guess he knew the right boxes to check and got it done. Cost me an extra $85 on the MSRP.:thumbsup:

I have struggled for over 20 years deciding whether to leave my '68 as is (original vinyl top, paint, drivetrain and interior) with a few scrapes and minor dents vs. repainting and doing minor bodywork. I wrote Mel years ago and he replied, as you would expect, "it's only original once!". We cruise in this car 250-500 miles a year and we have barely 70,000 miles on it. So far I have listened to his advice, even though I hate parking at shows next to so many beautiful (redone) cars.

View attachment 1309098
Be proud of what you have. The real enthusiasts will recognize your Charger for what it is and be happy to see it. Don't deprive them.

1657560918943.jpeg
This is one of my cars. All original... paint, interior, drivetrain, yes even the lean-burn ! Got flaws as would be expected in a 43 year old car, but it's fun to drive. It's been in Mel's tent at Carlisle a few times. Since it's far from a "high-dollar car" I can drive this until the wheels fall off, and it won't make a difference. This car is so reliable, I could drive this to California if I wanted.

Auto Transport Service
Back