• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suspension plans

jball1105

Local time
11:27 AM
Reaction score
So I have been thinking about my plans for suspension on my 1963 Sport Fury. Originally I was planning on going whole hog with a magnum force set up or one of the equivalents. I'm thinking now that may be unnecessary and way more money than I have to spend. I am only building the "Beast" into a street cruiser- not going to drag race or autocross or anything. So what would you guys recommend? I'm thinking just upgrade/replace bushings, add a sway bar, drop it 2" and call it good. Anything else I should do or not do?

If it is a street cruiser, then what you plan to add is good. The anti-sway bar will make it a lot more pleasing in the turns. Next on the list would be a good set of tires, and then a very good set of shocks, like Bilsteins. Then heavier front T-bars plus rear anti-sway bar if you to improve handling further. Not sure where to place rear springs in that ordering; probably should be matched with noew front t-bars to keep the front/rear spring rate relations good for riding.

Some good poly bushings, sway bars are the two biggest bang for your buck. I always start with this combo and notice a huge improvement.

I was just looking at the firm feel suspension kit that includes upper and lower ball joints, upper and lower control arm bushings, strut rod bushings, all (4) tie rod ends, upper and lower bump stops and an idler arm. If I got this kit and then the anti-way bar and good tires do you guys think this would be sufficient for a nice ride?

I was just looking at the firm feel suspension kit that includes upper and lower ball joints, upper and lower control arm bushings, strut rod bushings, all (4) tie rod ends, upper and lower bump stops and an idler arm. If I got this kit and then the anti-way bar and good tires do you guys think this would be sufficient for a nice ride?
try it and see if you are pleased.you can always change the torsion bars and rear springs later.should ride/handle better then stock ever did.

try it and see if you are pleased.you can always change the torsion bars and rear springs later.should ride/handle better then stock ever did.

Good point. I think I will start there and see how it works out.

- - - Updated - - -

Good point. I think I will start there and see how it works out.

I like to stick with stock rate springs but go with heavier than stock sway bars that way the car still rides good on the road but handles the curves and turns much better than stock but if you like a firmer straight line ride, go with a higher rating on the springs too. Wider wheels and tires will also help the car handle better but keep in mind, that you don't need a huge wheel and tire combo to make it handle better than stock. Imo, really wide tires can make the car 'darty'.....

I would do a Super Polygraphite Front End Kit with the upgraded 11/16" sleeve, a quality set of shocks, sway bars and torsion bars. But I would start with front end kit first and t bars because you can always add the others on later with out going back into the front end to install.

Thanks
James

If the suspension parts are old, you will do yourself a BIG favor to replace them with ANY new set of bushings, and all the parts you list. etc. The only thing I would encourage you to do beyond the above would be the shock upgrade. Do that last and by itself; you will be stunned when you go to Bilsteins. If you never have used them, the WOW factor is huge.

If the suspension parts are old, you will do yourself a BIG favor to replace them with ANY new set of bushings, and all the parts you list. etc. The only thing I would encourage you to do beyond the above would be the shock upgrade. Do that last and by itself; you will be stunned when you go to Bilsteins. If you never have used them, the WOW factor is huge.

I'm pretty sure the parts are the original parts. The shocks are old monroe shocks that my dad put on decades ago, so it can really only get better. I've never replaced shocks so I'm wondering if its is much easier to do all at once with everything else, or if it wouldn't be a big deal to go for the high quality shocks later down the line after my bank account has healed a bit??

If the shock themselves are that old, they may have leaked fluid/gas. So even some Monroe Gas-matics would be an improvement lol. Shocks on these cars are a piece of cake to replace at any time. as easy as changing plugs except you have to be on the ground!

Cool, thanks. So i can just put on some new decent shocks when I do the rest of the suspension and then when I have more $$$$ put on the Bilsteins.

Auto Transport Service
Back