• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Swapping drum backing plates

69clone

Local time
9:52 PM
Reaction score
I'm trying to swap out the 11" backing plates that came with my dana for my 10" setup. I pulled the axles out and realized the backing plates don't slide right out. They are hung up on the outer seal/ metal retainer on the racer. Is it as simple as pulling the retainer out or does it not come out? Do I have to get it pressed off at the shop?

IMG_4266.JPG IMG_4267.JPG

Whoever did that was WRONG! The axle needs to have the axle retaining plate on first, then bearing and finally the locking collar. So your gonna need to have all that stuff pressed off and redone in the order that I specified. Do not have the backing plate put back on! That is supposed to stay on the axle housing.

I don't have a clue. I do know when I was pulling the axle out the ring lock was flush against the housing and the o ring was inside. But what you are saying is the backing plate should be between the ring lock and o ring? This is on a dana 60 if it matters.

As 5.7 hemi said the backing plate stays ON the housing. Who ever did this put the backing plate on the axle. The lock ring plate is suppose to be on the outside of the backing plate.

Unless those pictures are deceiving, the hole in the backing plate looks too small for the bearing to pass through.

That explains why the video on youtube his backing plate and brake setup stayed on the housing... I pulled the snap ring off and the backing plate slide off. It was snug but came off. So it is my understand that snap ring should be sandwiched between the backing plate and the bearing retainer plate? (this thing)?
10110_238778.jpg

Khryslerkid what you see in the picture is the retaining plate . Below the retaining plate is the backing plate.

69 Clone why would you go to 10 inch brakes? Reduce weight?

Last edited:
Khryslerkid what you see in the picture is the retaining plate . Below the retaining plate is the backing plate
The pic is deceiving. The op stated he removed the snap ring and the backing plate slid off.

Is there a need for the snap ring on the "green bearing" on a Dana?

Dana or 8 3/4, the bearing needs the snap ring.....that what the retainer plate is pressing against when tightened.

I don't know, I bought 2 sets both had the flanges attached to the bearings. I saw he said he removed the snap ring and removed the backing plate. The only way to explain that is the retaining plate goes against the snap ring. But the snap ring groove looks on the wrong side. Sure would like 69clone to show us more pictures.

In his second picture the snap ring is closest to the axel flange.
All he would need to do is replace the snap ring back onto the bearing, place the backing plate on the rear end housing, and reinstall the axel. Right?

Went to you tube to see how to install green bearings. What looked like the inner groove is an o-ring the snap ring lets the bearing retainer to push the bearing in and hold it. The only thing I see is somebody put the backing plate on then bearing retainer on then put the snap ring on then put the axle in the housing. WHEW!

In his second picture the snap ring is closest to the axel flange.
All he would need to do is replace the snap ring back onto the bearing, place the backing plate on the rear end housing, and reinstall the axel. Right?
While I was typing my long explanation, you got to the point.

While I was typing my long explanation, you got to the point.
Some have been talking about starting a thread on some of the things we've been finding on these cars. Like the homemade crankshaft bolt welded to the dampner thread!

Could be interesting. Did a few boners when I was 20 years old. Crank bolt welded to the damper, where do you find that one!

I'm trying to swap out the 11" backing plates that came with my dana for my 10" setup. I pulled the axles out and realized the backing plates don't slide right out. They are hung up on the outer seal/ metal retainer on the racer. Is it as simple as pulling the retainer out or does it not come out? Do I have to get it pressed off at the shop?

View attachment 376918 View attachment 376919
Were the brake backing plates scraping on the drums?

Yes, I apologize the picture wasn't the greatest. I'll try to get better picture of everything.
Yes, on the bearing closest to the backing plate is a snap ring. than above that is an o ring. On the smaller bearing it is solid.
The retaining plate I assume is the silver piece in the picture I posted last. That is on the other side of the backing plate. You can it through the bolt holes in the backing plate.
Khryslerkid what you see in the picture is the retaining plate . Below the retaining plate is the backing plate.

69 Clone why would you go to 10 inch brakes? Reduce weight?
It only had backing plates when I bought it. I don't have 11" drums for it. So I'm pulling my 10" stuff off my old rear to use. PST recommended the money better spent on the front.

PST is right about that. I had a 69 Coronet with front disc's and it had 10" rear drums. I did the front disc conversion that was in Mopar Action years ago with 11.75" rotors cost me about $560 about 12 years ago. Bought mostly new parts, used stuff was spindles and adapters.

Disc up front and 11 inch drums in back is hot set up. That is what I run, I put the same on my dad's 70' Challenger and my uncles 70' Roadrunner. It works very well!!

Auto Transport Service
Back