• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Swapping K member on 62 Belvedere

VonHertell

Local time
10:55 PM
Reaction score
Anyone know when swapping from a 6cyl K to a 8cyl K member, if anything else is required.
I'm putting in a 413. Just looking at it, it seems that there my be a different steering arm or maybe a different oil pan from what I have.

Anyone ever done this swap?

Thanks for any info.

Anyone know when swapping from a 6cyl K to a 8cyl K member, if anything else is required.
I'm putting in a 413. Just looking at it, it seems that there my be a different steering arm or maybe a different oil pan from what I have.

Anyone ever done this swap?

Thanks for any info.

No problem changing K member,the only thing you will need is a 62/65 big block oil pan.

Thanks, I'm thinking my pan is wrong then. But I don't know for sure yet. I'm going to swap the K member this weekend I think.

Can you tell me from a pic If I have the correct pan or do you have a pic of the correct one?

Thanks.

This is a Max Wedge pan,the portion that fit's above the K frame is approximatly 5 1/2" long.The standard 62/65 pan is the same length in that area.In 66 they moved the K member back 1 3/4",that is why you can't use a later pan,it will hit the sump.Find a pan with at least 5" in front of the sump and you're in business.I "think" the 72/3 400 pan will also fit but never tried one.

MVC-202S.jpg

So I'm thinking this pan will work.

Trans-Dapt Performance Products 9496 @ Summit

I've decided to get a new pan just to save time from digging at the yard.

DO yall happen to know a part # from somewhere else if this isn't going to work?

Thanks!

So what pan did you use? Have you got the engine in the car?

I used a KMJ 7qt w. standard p/u #s7117z and s7118
w/ a dipstick for $115

kmjent.com

Yes, I have the motor in but I'm milling out the bearing retainer hole to fit my 4 sp. I should get to it in a week or two. Then I've got to get the drive shaft done. I've got a crappy stock rearend until I can find/afford a better one.

This is my motor
3508106452_00684d553a_z.jpg

Motor in
36796_1411011912941_1161800487_30975188_3233666_n.jpg

Last edited:
Any pictures under the car around the oil pan k frame area? Would like to see how the pan fits in the car.Thank you

Doh, I knew that but I didn't find the 3rd pic. Sorry.

I'll have to get one when I get over to the shop. Maybe tonight.

Auto Transport Service
Back