• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

sway bar interference when converting to disc brakes

pb24

Local time
7:26 PM
Reaction score
I have a 68 charger with power drum brakes. I have the spindles and brake caliper adapters from a 73+ A body. My car has the factory front sway bar and I've read if you mount the calipers forward facing they will hit the sway bar or you can swap the left and right spindle and mount the calipers toward the rear to alleviate this problem. If you do mount them toward the rear what brake hoses do you use and how do you route them. I've read the Mopar Action article Disc-o-Tech and they recommend not doing it. Has anyone done this modification and do you have any picture

A member on this board advised me to try hoses from a 73-79 B body.

I have 87 5th Ave slider brakes on my 66.

Yes the spindles swap left to right, and yes mine are now oriented with the calipers to the rear because of the sway bar.

Neither the 66 hose or the 87 hose worked, but the 73-79 hose, while not a perfect fit, does work.

I'm not sure about A body calipers, but for RockAuto's $15 each price, it might be worth a try.

You can also swap over to the 70 sway bar and lower control arms as it moves the sway bar link point inboard.

I did this on my 71 RR. I found a 69 R/T K-frame and put it on the RR. This was a long time ago, late 80's early 90's. We were just kids when we did this swap. Took us awhile to figure out the spindle swap but we did figure it out. We used all the orignal brake equipment from the RR. We had to swap the calipers over too so the bleeder would still be on top. Same brake lines and all. Still works to this day with no issues.

I've heard that you can use after market sway bars so the calipers don't hit. does anybody have any info on this.

I've heard that you can use after market sway bars so the calipers don't hit. does anybody have any info on this.

The swap can be done WITHOUT spending extra money on any aftermarket hoses or swaybars. Unless you are really adamant about it. When you swap the caliper from side to side, everything will line up just fine. Mine has been like this for over 20 years. Many, many high speed stops. Works great.

I have a 68 charger with power drum brakes. I have the spindles and brake caliper adapters from a 73+ A body. My car has the factory front sway bar and I've read if you mount the calipers forward facing they will hit the sway bar or you can swap the left and right spindle and mount the calipers toward the rear to alleviate this problem. If you do mount them toward the rear what brake hoses do you use and how do you route them. I've read the Mopar Action article Disc-o-Tech and they recommend not doing it. Has anyone done this modification and do you have any picture

I covered the topic in my B-body book complete with pictures. The Mopar Action article is a good reference, but there is a factory caliper that does work when mounted to the rear. Custom hoses are required to complete the job correctly, but they are easy to source these days.

Andyf I ordered your book from Amazon i should have it in a few days. Thanks

Forgive my ignorance, but what book would this be?

I think its the one with the yellow superbee on he cover. If it is. Nice job Andyf! Good pic's and literature. I accidentally purchased 2 of these books.

The book is called B-Body performance upgrades by Andy Finkbeiner he owns AR Engineering. The book had the information i was looking for.

Auto Transport Service
Back