• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

sway bar question

pioneer61

Local time
12:49 PM
Reaction score
Were the front anti-sway bars natural metal or painted black?

Sorry...i should've added....this question is in regards to a 1972 Dodge Charger.

I can't say about a 72 Charger, but all 67-69 original sway bars were chassis black.

The one on my 78 Magnum is black also. And the factory put white marks on either one or both sides. I'll upload a pic tomorrow. The bar on my 72 doesn't appear to have been painted...so i don't know.

When I got a NOS sway bar for my car ( it had a SB sway bar and found a BB sway bar on an Old Mopar dealer ) I remember it had black paint traces on it.

So, maybe it depends on the original suppliers, and maybe on which assembly plant? LA did this, lynch road did that, and St Louis did something else?

So, maybe it depends on the original suppliers, and maybe on which assembly plant? LA did this, lynch road did that, and St Louis did something else?
Everything wasn't 100%the same across the board at every factory.

this is what i love about restoration... trying to solve the assembly lines and suppliers mysteries.
I found some traces of what maybe- possibly-might be black paint....so i think i'll paint this one black.
i really appreciate everyone's input

Here are two pics from my 78 Magnum. It was painted black and had white markings that wrapped around the bar. Two on the d-side and one on the p-side

20220616_131042.jpg

20220616_131011.jpg

The Magnum was built at the Windsor, Ontario plant, while my 72 Charger was built in St. Louis.

The Magnum was built at the Windsor, Ontario plant, while my 72 Charger was built in St. Louis.
Well, like stated, seems like there were variances between factories. Now, throw in a Canadian factory, again who knows. My car was a St. Louis plant made too

Auto Transport Service
Back