• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

sweeper dash

SEAN MURPHY

Local time
10:59 PM
Reaction score
I have a 71 road runner and I'm always ask why no ralley dash? I have no idea why? My car has lived next door to me since inception...I know nothing was changed...any ideas? Thank you....

Also has silver on the lower part of the grill which I thought was Satellite, you sure it wasn't born a Satellite and changed into a road runner at some point?

I have the original bill of sale for my car. I have no idea why sweeper dash...lol

20171009_175116.jpg

Has A/C vents in dash but no A/C, just the stratovent, strange. Maybe your car was mistakenly started to be built as a Satellite or just built on a Monday with a number of errors?

I can't read that build sheet.

VIN starts with RM, and matches rad support and cowl?

Well the build sheet does say RM23, 71 road runner , 383 4bbl, rally wheels.. so it does seem odd no rally dash but then again, we know how they liked to spend their lunch hour on the assembly lines back then...
rs-188346-167435650.jpg

Last edited:
Years ago i answered an ad for a #s matching 69 Super Bee 383 4spd N96 car. I had been looking for one like that for many years so i went to look.
When i got there the motor and tranny were out and in another building so i started checking out the car. Fender tag was there-check. N96 on the tag and all parts present-check. 3 spd wiper motor-check. Starting looking the body over and looking underneath. Single exhaust pipe going back??? No 8 3/4 rear end???(or Dana 60) Started to get suspicious...looked inside....sweep dash...uhoh!! Checked VIN tag...yup...Coronet 440. Asked the guy about the #s matching thing. He said the VIN on the motor and tranny match the car. I asked if they matched the tag or the VIN plate. He said the fender tag. I inforned him he was the proud owner of a 69 Coronet 440 that came with a 318 3spd. His jaw dropped... I told him to pull the add and go after the guy he bought it from to get his money back.

Moral of the story...make sure all numbers jive with the VIN on the dash and check the body numbers. Even though it is the same body...the muscle version is worth more than a base model and those numbers insure your money is spent wisely.
That bill of sale means little. Lets see the VIN plate and body numbers to verify it is even a Road Runner at all. Then we can do some more investigating to find the truth.

Years ago i answered an ad for a #s matching 69 Super Bee 383 4spd N96 car. I had been looking for one like that for many years so i went to look.
When i got there the motor and tranny were out and in another building so i started checking out the car. Fender tag was there-check. N96 on the tag and all parts present-check. 3 spd wiper motor-check. Starting looking the body over and looking underneath. Single exhaust pipe going back??? No 8 3/4 rear end???(or Dana 60) Started to get suspicious...looked inside....sweep dash...uhoh!! Checked VIN tag...yup...Coronet 440. Asked the guy about the #s matching thing. He said the VIN on the motor and tranny match the car. I asked if they matched the tag or the VIN plate. He said the fender tag. I inforned him he was the proud owner of a 69 Coronet 440 that came with a 318 3spd. His jaw dropped... I told him to pull the add and go after the guy he bought it from to get his money back.

Moral of the story...make sure all numbers jive with the VIN on the dash and check the body numbers. Even though it is the same body...the muscle version is worth more than a base model and those numbers insure your money is spent wisely.
That bill of sale means little. Lets see the VIN plate and body numbers to verify it is even a Road Runner at all. Then we can do some more investigating to find the truth.
I posted the vin plate and fender tag

That dealer invoice looks a little suspicious to me, the details of the standard equipment and options are not specified as to what is included in base price and what is an individual option and its price. I have a bad feelings about this vehicle.

I posted the vin plate and fender tag
I haven't seen them. I did look at your photo garage and saw the door sticker but that doesnt help much either. Beautiful car either way!!
If you can repost the VIN plate and fender tag. Also pull up the back seat base and see if the actual build sheet is there. The build sheet should have the definitive answer to the sweep dash question.

Does it have a front stabilizer bar, the correct diameter torsion bars, heavy duty leaf springs, and 8 3/4 differential?

The vin, fender tag and build sheet are shown in his garage pics. Body numbers should be on the cowl above the wiper motor area and on the radiator support, either on the top or back edge.

Is there a pic with lines 6-8? Copied these pics over from his garage. Finally found them...

Screenshot_20171011-100833.jpg Screenshot_20171011-100911.jpg Screenshot_20171011-100951.png

Definitive test will be body stamps.

Fender tag and dash are bolt-ons.

It's not that much more trouble to replace whole dash, than a rallye cluster and wiring harness.

Besides "made that way" the other probabilities are:

1- cluster broke beyond repair (maybe fire) and was replaced with what was available.

If that's the case, they either spliced the harness, or replaced it, which is labor intensive.

2- someone had a nice Satellite and found a RR, possibly totaled or without a title, but with the cluster missing and decided to make the Satellite a RR.

In that case, they still would have had to swap the cluster into the dash, but with the dash out would have been easier, and still may have had to splice or replace the harness.

Auto Transport Service
Back