• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Switching to an aluminum WP housing...440 with A/C

I know a 3.9 isn't a 440 but my 95 Dakota ALWAYS ran a bit on the warm side and would go to 220 when in stop and go traffic with the AC on. Flushing the rad when the pump got replaced after it started leaking and installing a 180 stat didn't do a thing. I put up with it for years and then the factory 2 core small tube radiator finally gave up the ghost. A buddy had a single core aluminum radiator laying around and gave it to me. I looked it over for any damage and condition and saw that the tubes in the thing were pretty big....like over 1". It looked ok and it didn't leak when full of water so it got thrown in. It's been in for years now and the old truck never goes over 180 ever, stuck in traffic or driving the crap out of it. I've read that the big tube radiators are much better than and am convinced. In fact, a buddy gave me a 4 core aluminum rad because he said it didn't do the job in his big block Charger but a 3 core aluminum unit does. His 3 core rad has larger tubes and is the same capacity as the old 4 row had.....

If you look in the clearance section on 440source, you will see mention of the old housing design. Is it going on ten years now(?) that they have been shipping the new design.

Just an FYI so that people can move on from dredging up stuff that's no longer accurate.

Beware, though, about buying one used from someone. You'll want to validate it is the newer one in that scenario.

Have you received the speedcooling radiator yet?

Yeah...The radiator looks nice. I found a factory shroud in my parts stash too. I bought stock radiator hoses....THAT was nice! The Griffin I have now is a crossflow with a drivers side upper, pass side lower and the hoses had to be hand selected by walking through 2 parts stores looking at any hose that might fit.

If you look in the clearance section on 440source, you will see mention of the old housing design. Is it going on ten years now(?) that they have been shipping the new design.

Just an FYI so that people can move on from dredging up stuff that's no longer accurate.

Beware, though, about buying one used from someone. You'll want to validate it is the newer one in that scenario.
How do you tell an old one from a new one? I have a housing that I bought probably 15 or better years ago and there's no markings on it at all. I figure it is a China pos.....

Two years ago I bought a 440 source water pump housing and pump package when they were on a overstock sale. Really good price, but as mentioned, not sure which housing it is. On the other hand, I'll double check and open the ports on it anyway.
I just changed out my 4-Core Champion radiator with a 2-Core Griffin. As mentioned I was having air flow issues with the thick 4-core and (I think 11" fans?) The tube area of the 1.25" tube 2-core is about the same as the 4-core that has 4 smaller tubes, but the 2-core radiator is thinner, and I went with larger 13" Be-Cool (made by SPAL) cooling fans. Got them on sale and were slightly less than the SPAL fans and included the mounting hardware. The car has been down since they were installed. Making too many changes to the car, so won't know how well the changes work till summer.

A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link, right? All cooling systems have to pass through the thermostat. I wonder what difference a slightly smaller internal passage of a WP housing would make?
As stated, I have never overheated even with a less than optimal system. I am now going to step things up just to ensure a safety margin exists for the added strain of the A/C. Seeing that the 440 Source housing seems to fit and allow for proper placement of the various fittings and brackets, I may go with them. I'm still unsure about the water pump itself. I could reuse my existing one or buy new. The Flowcooler looks great. It may be more than I need though.

180 Stant Superstat. Mancini Billet (overpriced) housing. No holes to drill. Green coolant. Just be responsible with disposal after 2 years. No such thing as permanent. Worked in 70. Will work today.

The price of that FlowCooler kills it for me. I have read good things about this one though:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mil-16260/overview/
Milodon.jpg

GOOD GUY ALERT:
FBBO member Aldal contacted me and offered a Mancini Water Pump housing that he wasn't going to use along with a Milodon 180 degree thermostat. Being the good guy that he is, he only wanted $20 and shipped it before I could even pay him! I couldn't let him off that easy...I told him I'd give him more $$$ just because I appreciated the gesture and didn't want to take advantage of his generosity.
Man...The aluminum part is SO much lighter than the cast iron!

Auto Transport Service
Back