• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tach Conversion Question?

dodge68charger

Local time
3:05 AM
Reaction score
I Started My 1969 Roadrunner For The First Time Last Night After installing The Dash and Noticed The Stock Style Aftermarket Tach I Installed Isnt Working. Standard Gauge Car.

It Has An Electronic Ignition and Had The voltmeter Conversion Done By Instrument Specialties

Is There A Conversion Kit I Need?

Obvious question: is the tach correctly hooked up. Most tachs with inductive ign [ points, Chrys elec ] require the tach trigger wire to connect to the coil neg terminal.
CD ign such as MSD 6 usually need an adapter, such as #8910 or 8920.

I Followed The Instructions That Came In The Kit

I ll Check To Make Sure I Have a Proper Ground On My Dash Frame and Double Check Its On The Negative Coil Side.

Thank You

Some ignitions will not drive the tachometer. MSD makes one and there are others on e-bay that are cheaper and work well. I recently went through this with my 69 Charger.

How Did You Go About Wiring The Ebay One?

The Msd Looks a Bit Much To Wire. Running a Stock Style Electronic Ignition

Is The ECU The Signal From The Negative Side Of The Coil?

Thanks

How Did You Go About Wiring The Ebay One?

The Msd Looks a Bit Much To Wire. Running a Stock Style Electronic Ignition

Is The ECU The Signal From The Negative Side Of The Coil?

Thanks
I made a small harness and mounted it behind the dash. I used the wiring at the tach. 1-ground to dash frame. 2-Power,a tee tap at the tachs 12 volt feed. 3-wire from coil to the box. 4-wire from box to tach terminal.

Auto Transport Service
Back