• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tach / gauge / instrument face restoration

rakort

Local time
2:59 AM
Reaction score
So I appear to have a good tach out of my donor dash except for the face which is tacky.

Any thoughts on techniques / resources / vendors to help restore or replace the face?

How are the needles removed without trashing things?
Tach (1).JPG
Tach (2).JPG
Tach (3).JPG
Tach (4).JPG

no back support required to pull the needle off? Worried about trashing the movement!

OK, I found a solution. NOS tach gauge face!

20160720_204052.jpg

Use a kitchen fork to remove the needle it works like a charm. To replace the face plate you need the brass semi tubular rivets and a tool to squeeze them. You would be better off with the decal they are spot on for fit and finish. If you go with replacement the link above, they have the correct rivets.

Last edited:
Use a kitchen fork to remove the needle it works like a charm. To replace the face plate you need the brass semi tubular rivets and a tool to squeeze them. You would be better off with the decal they are spot on for fit and finish. If you go with replacement the link above, they have the correct rivets.

Agreed on the semi tubular rivets. I do have a few clinchers for the rivets which I could make a tool for easily on the lathe if I don't have the right size already, but why wouldn't I just simply use a 4-40 button head machine screw?

upload_2016-7-20_21-58-32.png

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure with the lens in place you can't see the rivets, correct? Therefore you wouldn't see a tiny button head machine screw.....

yes you could certainly use a machine screw since they are hidden by the bezel

I'm guessing it couldn't look any worse than these cheesy replacements! Wow really!?

MB321.JPG

I used the stencils to repaint my 69 Coronet standard dash. Pull that needle off, strip the face, prime and paint. Use the stencil and repaint the white. Paint the needle and push back on. Judge for yourself.

1-gauge cluster restored-001.JPG

Some detailed examples of this can be found by searching FBBO. Sometimes Google has a better search than the FBBO search function.

Off the top of my head, you need to unplug the gauges and ignition switch. Remove the switch panel through the lower dash pad. Remove the lower pad. Remove the gauge cluster.

Auto Transport Service
Back