• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Takes forever to start after sitting for a few days...

German_Mopar

Local time
7:15 PM
Reaction score
Hi guys,

today I took my 66 Belvedere for the last spin this year, it sat for a good week.
I have this problem since I own the car (July this year), I put a Holley Street Avenger 670 on it with an electric chocke (383 Engine).

If I drive the car every day or two it starts up perfect.

I had to crank it for more than 90 seconds (not constantly), it is horrible.
After cranking it forever it started up and idles perfect - no problems, perfect AFR - dead cold.

I can see the fuel after a few seconds of cranking in the sight glass of the fuel bowls, but no fuel is getting to the engine.
I can smell no fuel and I checked a plug and it was dry.

Cranking, Cranking and then it started up perfect.

The Carb is only a few month old and runs perfect, perfect AFR.
The only problem is starting after a few days of sitting.

I mean that I have to crank it a for few seconds after sitting is totally fine, but this is to long....
If something is blocked inside the carb, wouldnt it be a problem not only in the starting process ?

Best wishes from Germany

Claus

Hi guys,

today I took my 66 Belvedere for the last spin this year, it sat for a good week.
I have this problem since I own the car (July this year), I put a Holley Street Avenger 670 on it with an electric chocke (383 Engine).

After cranking it forever it started up and idles perfect - no problems, perfect AFR - dead cold.

I can see the fuel after a few seconds of cranking in the sight glass of the fuel bowls, but no fuel is getting to the engine.

I mean that I have to crank it a for few seconds after sitting is totally fine, but this is to long....
If something is blocked inside the carb, wouldnt it be a problem not only in the starting process ?

Best wishes from Germany

Claus
watching i have the SAME problem

Fuel evaporation inside the carb usually causes that. Many have installed a small charge pump and a momentary switch to fix the problem. There are threads about it here.

When you get to the point where you can see fuel filling the bowls, are you able to see fuel coming out of the discharge nozzles when manually moving the throttle while looking down into the carb, holding the choke plate open manually? Is the choke closing fully when cold?

Choke is fully closed, If I move the throttle I can hear the accelarator pump spraying fuel.
It seems that the idler nozzles are not spraying fuel.

I dont think that a primer pump will solve the problem, because I can see the fuel in the bowls.

Choke is fully closed, If I move the throttle I can hear the accelarator pump spraying fuel.
It seems that the idler nozzles are not spraying fuel.

I dont think that a primer pump will solve the problem, because I can see the fuel in the bowls.
So you're not physically seeing fuel coming out of the discharge nozzles while moving the throttle?

I didn´t open the choke manually to see it, I just moved the throttle and heard it spraying.

Problem now: I have to wait a few days to check it - can´t check it now

What I do when the car has sat for more than a couple days is this:
1. Crank the engine for a few seconds (3-4)
2. Wait a couple seconds
3. Crank again few seconds
4. Wait a couple seconds
5. Press the gas peddle all the way down then release
6. Crank again
7. If nothing, repeat steps 4 and 5.

This has worked for me over the years.

Lassen Sie uns wissen, was Sie herausfinden, wenn Sie wieder am Auto arbeiten

I didn´t open the choke manually to see it, I just moved the throttle and heard it spraying.

Problem now: I have to wait a few days to check it - can´t check it now
You will hear a spraying noise from the accelerator pump but it is probably just air.

Hi guys,

Best wishes from Germany

Claus
Ethanol mixed fuels evaporate pretty quickly, the only upside is it won't gunk up your fuel system. A carb spacer helps with heat soak causing vapor lock. I'm sure you already know this.

Sounds to me as though the fuel line from the tank to the pump is syphoning or drawing back to the tank. I think you are filling the fuel line and the carb during the long cranking.
I would put a new fuel pump on it and check the pushrod length if it's a big block.

I also think that's normal.
If my cars sit for a week they also won't start up by just turning the key.

What i do then is pumping the throttle pedal about 15 times, then crank it.
If it still won't start i pump the throttle another 5 times, then crank again. Repeat the second step maybe 1-2 times if necessary. After that they started up everytime since i own them.
Except if they have been sitting very long (over the winter for example) then i have to remove the air cleaner and squirt some fuel down the carburetor by hand. (Do not use starting fluid or brake cleaner, just regular gasoline)

Why did you choose that holley carb?
An Edelbrock would have been closer to what came originally on your car.

Edit:
As has been previously said the problem is the modern gas that evaporates way quicker than the gasoline used back in the days.
So your carburetor drying out is the problem.

Last edited:
90 seconds is not normal.
I would say anything over 15-20 is not normal.
I can store my cars over the winter and get them to fire in about 15 seconds.
Pumping the accelerator 15 times if the carb is empty doesn't speed the process there needs to be fuel to pump. Depending on how cold it is and your displacement 2 or 3 good shots with a fully closed choke should get it to fire.

Pumping the accelerator 15 times if the carb is empty doesn't speed the process there needs to be fuel to pump.

So you're saying pumping the accelerator doesn't do anything?
I've been told to do this when i first got my cutlass 10 years ago and used that "strategy" ever since.
It worked but maybe just cranking for 20 seconds would've also worked.

I also think that's normal.
If my cars sit for a week they also won't start up by just turning the key.

What i do then is pumping the throttle pedal about 15 times, then crank it.
If it still won't start i pump the throttle another 5 times, then crank again. Repeat the second step maybe 1-2 times if necessary. After that they started up everytime since i own them.
Except if they have been sitting very long (over the winter for example) then i have to remove the air cleaner and squirt some fuel down the carburetor by hand. (Do not use starting fluid or brake cleaner, just regular gasoline)

Why did you choose that holley carb?
An Edelbrock would have been closer to what came originally on your car.

Edit:
As has been previously said the problem is the modern gas that evaporates way quicker than the gasoline used back in the days.
So your carburetor drying out is the problem.
And as you have found, pumping does no good if the carb is empty.

Auto Transport Service
Back