• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Talk about bad luck

I used to let my X take care of all of that including paying the bills but it didn't take too long to figure out that she really sucked at all of that and did it myself. Have I said yet I'm glad she's gone?? Uh, probably way too many times lol
I wish you lived next door to me!! Believe it or not, we'd have a good time!!

We get renewal letters around 4 weeks out from the renewal date for registration here.

That sucks about your day Mike......makes you wonder why all that crap happened in the same day.
here we get the renewal notice, like 2 months before it's due
I do all mine online, I rarely have to go to the DMV
(I also have AAA Ins., I can go into their DMV office 'at their branch office',
not even/ever step foot in the reg. DMV
)
Online I still get my new tags, in snail mail, usually within 7 days too,
like 2 weeks before it's due

I do it online & print out the receipt,
& I've never/ever had any problems

(I know most all the LEOs here too)

doing it online
you usually don't catch anything that way :poke:
while standing in line :blah: & waiting for way too long,
if I don't need/have too

Last edited:
I got pulled over for this a couple years ago...I work nights and was heading home and he pulled me over and informed me that my plates had expired...I had totally forgot. Said he could have nailed me for $400 but instead allowed me to park at a gas station across the road. It was 4am so told the wife to come get me in the AM so I crashed in the front seat for a few hours but when I woke up guess who was sitting across the street...yup the cop who "let me go"...guess he was checking on me to make sure I wasn't a friggin douche bag and just drove home after he left. Wife showed up and brought me to the insurance place then back stickers on plate and drove home.

Now, question is...... how much did they rape you for the registration stickers? I know some of you have it pretty bad. Here in Oregon it's somewhere around $130 every two years. The whole thing is stupid in my opinion.

New game up here... we now get FREE yearly renewals (was $120/yr). Now forget to renew your registration each year and it's up to a $1000 fine when pulled over. Convenient that EVERY OPP cruiser in Ontario now has an automatic licence plate reading camera!

Good news, went to the police dept. where the first ticket was issued and showed the officer the new sticker and he dismissed the ticket. The second ticket was a warning when I explained that I was two blocks from the DMV. The wife checked bank records and said all payments had went through months ago. Lost or stolen I guess. Cost me a whole day running around but all is good now.

Here: (2) vehicles, $94/yr. each for sticker for tags. As with most things, the county and the state take a bite.
There are no "property taxes" on vehicles here; you are required to carry insurance on cars, but we don't have
any of those big brother cameras reading tags - yet, anyways.
Best have that little card in the glove box if you get pulled over...

Of course, the ANTIQUE tag on Fred the GTX was paid for once - $25 - and never requires renewal.
As it should be.

I’ve been late for work every day this week.
DOT closed a 5mile stretch of the interstate that I use to travel too work.
So decided to take less traveled road, so I thought.
Well I crossed the hill and boom there’s the popo. Not speeding but he dropped in behind me anyway.
To my surprise he lights me up. He came to the drivers window and said license regulation and proof of insurance. Yes sir here you are.
Mr. Cook do you know why I stopped you? No sir. Your tag is expired. No ****? WOW I’ll get that taken care of immediately.
Here’s you a $232.50 ticket have a nice day.
It gets better.
On my way to the DMV. Fun Fun Fun. Well, they say no record of property tax payment. So off to the tax office in another town. Pay the taxes again. Head to DMV in that town to keep from going back across town.
Well I look in the mirror and guess who? Damn I can’t get to the DMV around the corner without getting stopped a second time in 2 1/2 hours.
When I get this sticker I’m going home. Lol.

View attachment 1442713

View attachment 1442714

View attachment 1442715
just saw this posting. it the road that was closed a road i will travel to the Saturday show? I am coming up 74 from ashville, but i know i have to get on the Interstate thru Gastonia, and then get back on 74 to get to Rockingham.
thanks
Pat T
I was going to send you a PM, but the system says i have reached my limit of 14 messages!

We are now officially hanging out with an outlaw!!

All of that sucks, the same thing happened to me and wife some 40 years ago. We weren't 200 feet from the house and got pulled over. I looked at my wife and said, I'm not going fast enough yet to get a speeding ticket. A female officer comes to my window and said, do you know why I pulled you over. I looked at her and said, I have no idea, you just saw me pull out of my driveway. She said that my tags had expired. I looked at my wife and then again at her and said that's impossible, I never got a notice. The wife and I started talking among ourselves as if the cop wasn't even there. Now we start arguing about the whole thing and the cop yells, EXCUSE ME. I said excuse me to the cop and got out of the car and looked at the plates. I get back in and me and the wife start arguing again. The cop yells EXCUSE ME. I look at her and she said, JUST TURN AROUND AND GO HOME and walks back to her car. I went home and got my truck and off we went to the store, still arguing about how all of this could have happened. No notice in the mail, no ticket and a cop who got tried of us arguing and was kind enough to let us go. Lesson learned. I don't think in todays world the outcome for us would have been the same.
That is a great story.

New jersey has QQ plates for classic cars. But, you're only supposed to use the car for "hobby/event" use. Somebody told me, he and a few guys went to a diner after a car show. All their QQ plate cars were ticketed.

New jersey has QQ plates for classic cars. But, you're only supposed to use the car for "hobby/event" use. Somebody told me, he and a few guys went to a diner after a car show. All their QQ plate cars were ticketed.
That’s messed up. As long as you have insurance and a valid plate you should be able to drive your damn car. It’s all about the money. They told me the same thing when I went and got my antique vehicle tag.I say f&@k Um. I have a valid tag and insurance is the way I see it.

Local Police have a license plate reader. You sometime 5 or 6 tickets a week. That also means the hook to your home, no letting you go to DMV.

Local Police have a license plate reader. You sometime 5 or 6 tickets a week. That also means the hook to your home, no letting you go to DMV.
Welcome to the police state... Now how about a nice peaceful protest...

Now, question is...... how much did they rape you for the registration stickers? I know some of you have it pretty bad. Here in Oregon it's somewhere around $130 every two years. The whole thing is stupid in my opinion.

Our Provincial Insurance Corporation basicly has no competition and since it's gov't run they rape us bad! Even with my years of safe driving I still pay in the range of $800 a year for insurance!

I got renewal notice for the truck on Saturday April 1st ($106/yr) expires May 31. That is 2 months notice. A funny story about 15 years ago I noticed my plates expired on my truck (I don't drive it a lot couple thousand miles a year). I looked in my checkbook seen I paid for stickers, but I didn't receive them. I called DMV said they most have got lost in the mail. They sent me new ones. I got them in a week or so and put them on no big deal. A couple months latter I was going through some papers and found the first set of stickers. Oops Dam post office

Our Provincial Insurance Corporation basicly has no competition and since it's gov't run they rape us bad! Even with my years of safe driving I still pay in the range of $800 a year for insurance!
Alberta is the true meaning of fully raped as I understand.

Good news, went to the police dept. where the first ticket was issued and showed the officer the new sticker and he dismissed the ticket. The second ticket was a warning when I explained that I was two blocks from the DMV. The wife checked bank records and said all payments had went through months ago. Lost or stolen I guess. Cost me a whole day running around but all is good now.
that sounds fair, well as fair as it could be

Good old Jersey....Lord have mercy.

Got curious as to any possible changes in the TN Antique tag laws since I got Freds' years ago and looked it up.
Requirements of the car to be eligible to participate:
1. Must be a motor vehicle over twenty-five (25) years old and have a non-modified engine and body
(Oops...well, it sort of looks stock under the hood....moving on....)
2. Can be used for participation in, or transportation to and from, club activities, exhibits, tours, parades, and
similar uses as a collector’s item
(Well....tell 'em you're on the way to the auto museum in Greeneville....moving on....)
3. Can only be used for general transportation on Saturday and Sunday
(*cough* *tugs at suddenly tight shirt collar*....uhhh, see excuse #2 above)
4. Can be used on any day for the purpose of selling, vehicle testing, or obtaining repairs to or doing
maintenance on the vehicle.
("Why yes, officer - proper diagnosis DOES require a 300 mile test drive!"
Note to self: Carry a pair of Channellocks on back floorboard, got it.)
:thumbsup:

This registration is a permanent registration and is not required to be renewed annually.
Once assigned, the license plate cannot be reassigned to another vehicle.

If you're convicted of violating any of these rules, you lose the tag for (5) years and have to pay for full
registration ON THE SPOT. Busted!
We're also allowed to use a period-correct old tag and register it with the car; we just have to carry the
new Antique tag somewhere in the car at all times.

Finally, the price that we pay ONE TIME for the Antique tag status has gone up since I got mine:
It's $32.75 now. :)

Auto Transport Service
Back