• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tank Fuel Level

fff_charger

Local time
6:57 PM
Reaction score
I have a 70 Charger R/T. I have had an issue ever since the rebuild was completed. When I put fuel in the tank I cannot fill it all the way. It backs up into the filler neck. When I do fill it too far it then vents out the cap. I remember installing the filler neck and it seemed to me the neck was too long. I had the old neck and it was the same size (length). There was no tank in the car when I got it just the filler neck. Any ideas out there? I am by no means an experienced resto pro. THANKS!

Typical aftermarket fuel sender reading incorrectly.

How many gallons are you trying to stuff in it.

I don't know about '70, but '67 has an equalization tube that goes between tank n filler neck so it allows trapped air on filling to escape to filler neck and allow tank to be filled completely.

I don't know about '70, but '67 has an equalization tube that goes between tank n filler neck so it allows trapped air on filling to escape to filler neck and allow tank to be filled completely.
66 to 70

Typical aftermarket fuel sender reading incorrectly.
Never thought about that. I am gonna drive around until I run out of gas (of course with a 2 gallon can in the trunk) and see how long it runs after the gauge says "E". I always assumed the gauge was relatively accurate. THANKS!

Yes, installation is stock to a TEE. It has the normal lines and the separator installed.
He meant the 1" line that goes from the side if the tank up to the filler neck or whatever your car uses for tank venting to the filler neck.

Auto Transport Service
Back