• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Taper axel question

Chipstar

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:24 AM
Reaction score
I'm selling my 62 (here if you're interested) and was asked if my car had tapered axels or not. Considering the restoration was done before I purchased it and when I did purchase it, the listing of what was in the rear was incorrect, I do not know an accurate answer. I'm not even sure if it's the original rear.

Is there a simple way for me to tell? I don't want to give any inaccurate information to any potential buyers.

Thanks!

I'm selling my 62 (here if you're interested) and was asked if my car had tapered axels or not. Considering the restoration was done before I purchased it and when I did purchase it, the listing of what was in the rear was incorrect, I do not know an accurate answer. I'm not even sure if it's the original rear.

Is there a simple way for me to tell? I don't want to give any inaccurate information to any potential buyers.

Thanks!
Take one rear wheel off and look at the end of the axle. If there is a big nut it is the taper style.

Im gonna be surprised that car has 11x2-1/2" rear brakes unless somebody did a lot of work on the rear.

No need to take the drum off to see what you have! The nut holds it on!
1964dodge440cleanup2023pt6 018.jpg

Pull a rear wheel off (if you had steel wheels, you'd only need to pull the hubcap or wheel cover. )
If there's a big nut on the center end of the axle, it's most likely the original 62 rear.
If there isn't one.... it isn't.
If it's really got 11" rear brakes, I'd bet against it being a 62 rear.

Just remove the wheel cover...no need to pull a wheel.

He has mag wheels not hub caps. Read his post and look at his car.
Maybe he can pull that center cap off those Magnum 500 wheels ... Maybe not.

Maybe he switched wheels after the photo was snapped.

Maybe he had previously had those wheels off and these responses will trigger his memory.

Maybe he'll take a ride to Negaunee and stop at your place to have decide!!!

Say YA to da UP, hey?

I'm a former Yooper...

Auto Transport Service
Back