• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TCI 727 Transmission Pan Review

Before you put it back together, double check both the pan and the trans itself for any warpage or problems with a good straightedge..... Definately save the fluid you just bought, no reason to change it out yet. Also, consider this gasket, especially since its reuseable.

Moroso 93110 Moroso Transmission Pan Gaskets | Summit Racing

I only use this gasket, it seals very well. the bolts have to be 0.125 longer, since these old threads in the gearbox itself are fragile and the gasket
is thicker.
i used this pan and gasket maybe 15 times now, the only problem we had was that after several oil changes the thread of the drain plug
started getting worse. Its quite soft aluminium the pan is cast of.. Now we directly change the drain plug thread with a helicoil from new.
No more problems.

Regarding the leak, 75% of the time its not the oil pan, well atleast thats my experinence.

It’s wet along the back and passenger side rear corner.

Leaks back and to the right

Your first picture post 15 you can see the tail shaft tang that covers the pivot shaft for the low reverse band

It has an o-ring on that pivot shaft that gets dry and hard over time

Stick your finger above your transmission pan on backside inside the groove where your pivot shaft recessed area is behind that tang and tell us if you get transmission fluid on your fingers

I can’t tell you how many individuals have done exactly what you are doing and it was attributed to a .15 cent o-ring

Billions LOL

Problem is the labor involved to replace the o-ring the correct way
I’ll check that area that you are talking about when I have the time to put the car up on stands again. I know the leakage is less than it was before replacing the pan. So I do think the old pan was leaking, but there may be leaking from somewhere else too. In the photo you referenced, first of post 15, I can see a little bit of fluid above the gasket on the rear of the transmission housing.

Before I changed the pan, I did suspect possible seeping from the forward most cooler line connection (which I tightened), or the selector shaft. But that side of the new pan is dry, no wet spots like on the middle rear and passenger rear corner.

You don't have to waste the transmission fluid. Drain it into a clean container and then filter it through one of those paper mesh cone filters the painters use (the local paint shop should give you half a dozen for nothing if you ask nicely).
Clean up the surfaces and try again with a thin smear of Permatex Ultra Black Gasket Sealer on both sides of the gasket. Pinch up the bolts and then torque down one hour later.
I have some of those paint filters left over from my wheel painting project. I actually used one of them to filter the old transmission fluid when pouring it from the catch pan into smoothie jugs for recycling. I was kind of wondering if that would be good enough filtering for fluid that will be going back into the transmission..

Auto Transport Service
Back