• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Teenagers and cars, best ride?

Mom has a 200 that's been very good to her. '14, I believe. Whopping 36k on it.

Subies are...well, their owners are....unique. Definitely the birkenstock-and-hemp crowd. But, they do make a decent product as long as you avoid the heavily-modified turbo cars. Their boxer motor - if left stock - is pretty damn reliable, but as noted above - STAY AWAY FROM THE CVT. Biggest flaw Subaru has is wheel bearings...and rust.

I just bought my grandson a car for his birthday. I know you guys are going to give me hell but it wasn’t that bad on insurance And it has the V6. I told him I would help him as long as he keeps up his good grade’s. He lives with me so I watch him closely. Ok here is a picture of it. Take it easy on me guys.

View attachment 1434592

View attachment 1434593
Do you need another grandson? i’m available.

I'd consider any of the 3.8 cars, especially the Buicks. "Grey man theory" is your best friend when the nice traffic cop has to fill his quota.

Keep in mind OBDII appeared around 97 or so.

The "BUS". If they can't pay for it, this is what they got from me. They will never appreciate it otherwise.

Chuck (snook)

You guys must be raising bad kids. I sure appreciated my Charger when I got it at 18 - so much that I still have it.

I bought a 2003 Impala for my boy and my Daughter got it a couple years later. Still have it.
ANY of those 1990's(give or take) GM W body cars with a 3.8 are tanks, safe as you can find, and CHEAP to fix. Make sure you keep factory exhaust on them and the police won;t have any reason to notice them either.
The larger cars of the era like the LeSabre are rust magnets on the subframes and had worse electronics in them, IMO.

Grand Marquis is similar in that it is cheap, tank, safe.
Anything that old means for insurance you put liability on and that is it because it won't be worth fixing in a bender. That also helps with costs.

It is my opinion if the child wants to be "cool" they can buy their own car when they get a job to pay for it. My kids were both exceptionally grateful just to be able to leave home with a set of keys. Following two years of working, my Son bought a 200C AWD(I live in WI) totally loaded which is a comfy, snappy little car that he is very proud of. Timing was perfect that I didn;t need to go look for another car for my Daughter.

Of course, this is from a working man. If you are a white collar guy with a budget of $10k to hand a free car to their kid then you do you.

For me, a Pontiac Vibe is always the answer. Fun, reliable and great on gas. It's really a Toyota Matrix with Pontiac prices.

is my opinion if the child wants to be "cool" they can buy their own car when they get a job to pay for it.
That's how dad did it for me. Gave me an 83 V6 Cutlass Supreme. Light blue with navy vinyl top and interior, and wire wheels.

It got me to school and back. Worked great till 91, when I bought my brand new Daytona turbo (which I still own, to this day). Then, in 92, I 'splurged' and spent $500 to buy my Satellite wagon, which I also still own...

That's how dad did it for me. Gave me an 83 V6 Cutlass Supreme. Light blue with navy vinyl top and interior, and wire wheels.

It got me to school and back. Worked great till 91, when I bought my brand new Daytona turbo (which I still own, to this day). Then, in 92, I 'splurged' and spent $500 to buy my Satellite wagon, which I also still own...
I drove the farm truck for a bit and then we got my Grandfather's Olds Cutlass.
1980. He ordered it new. He special ordered it with a 350, which was only available from factory on the Hurst cars in 79/80. He also got it with the vinyl top in "grandma tan" with a tan roof. Air, intermittent wipers. Radio delete. Rear window regulator delete. Oh, this was a sedan. He refused to pay for the rear window regulators because he would never use them, but he wanted a 4 door. All I can guess is that the dealership was told do it like this or he would walk away.
It was actually a nice car, but went 0-60 in about 14 seconds and not sure it had enough power to go over 75. There was about 3 miles of vacuum hose under the hood for emissions. Got like 9mpg. But it sounded mean. Well, once the factory muffler rotted out.
I drove it, then my sister drove it, then it sat around for a while and then went to my same sister's new husband's little brothers for their initiations. I kind of wish it was still around, I am willing to bet there wouldn't be another car like it on the planet and it would make a pretty LOL type of sleeper with a 6.0 LS swap.

After raising 4 new drivers. Cheap, slow, plentiful used parts, did I mention cheap? He will f#%k it up. Let him buy his own after he wrecks the one you provided him.

bought my daughter a 2010 Hyundi Tuscon base version with 2.4L engine. It has been super dependable. Have only changed normal wear items, and it has around 180,000 miles on it. I have been running Castrol Synthetic oil in it and usually change the oil in the spring and fall, so around 5,000-7,000 miles between oil changes. Use Wix filters, and put on the Power Stop brake disc and pads. The odd thing is that just about all the light bulbs (brake, turn signals, headlights) all burnt out around the same time. I think I replaced them with LED versions. I just looked at prices, and it seems it is holding its value better than I though, they seem pretty pricy for a 13 year old model?

bought my daughter a 2010 Hyundi Tuscon base version with 2.4L engine. It has been super dependable. Have only changed normal wear items, and it has around 180,000 miles on it. I have been running Castrol Synthetic oil in it and usually change the oil in the spring and fall, so around 5,000-7,000 miles between oil changes. Use Wix filters, and put on the Power Stop brake disc and pads. The odd thing is that just about all the light bulbs (brake, turn signals, headlights) all burnt out around the same time. I think I replaced them with LED versions. I just looked at prices, and it seems it is holding its value better than I though, they seem pretty pricy for a 13 year old model?
You got lucky, after that year the engine became a normal wear item at 50,000 miles.
There was an article somewhere that a guy had nine engine replacements alone.

Cutlass, Regel, Monte Carlo V6s, maybe a good S10/15 4x4 with 4.3, Canyon/Colorado. Cheap & cheap to repair:

@Cheapsunglasses: Datsun 210, 240, 260, 280ZXs, RUST BUCKETS, ya can sit on porch & watch em rust. That is why they are Datsun instead of Nissan, its a culture thing.

You got lucky, after that year the engine became a normal wear item at 50,000 miles.
There was an article somewhere that a guy had nine engine replacements alone.
Thanks, I googled it and found the 2011, 2012, 2015, and 2016 models were years with issues, and sounds like the 2016 year model was the worst.

Too bad they don't have coupes and fastbacks like in the 60's and 70's. The girls drove the coupes and the guys had the fastbacks! :D I'm laughing because it was true back then lol
Yep
coupes were known as 'a secretary's cars',
even Carrol Shelby said that
in better terms 'a chicks car' (no matter the year, or era)

Never liked any of them except the fastback/sport roof 2+2, 67-68
same era 'California Special' wasn't bad looking, but only in a convertible,
& 2 model years of 69-70 GT, Boss 302, Boss 429 &/or the Mach 1
(all of which are out of a kids budget unless grampa/mom buys it for him/them)
but never liked a coupe

hated any of the Mustangs, regardless of body style, between 1972-2003
some people seem to love them
I am not one of them people

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My neighbors kid Shea bought a 2008 v6 Mustang, it was a clean car,
black/black, nice wheels/tires, fart can exhaust was horrid
he 'tried to make it cool'
But;
his buddies are all real car guys & 4x4 guys
his friends gave him so much **** constantly' even his sister
always ribbing him about the v6, when he could have had a v8
or the wimpy 'Stang' or him getting stuck in the winter, a bunch
he didn't own it long, not sure if it was peer pressure or not...
He came home on a test drive, in a 85-ish Mustang GT 5.0
me & his father Tommy (a car guy & son of a real car guy Tom Sr.)
talked him out of buying it...
It was only like $1,800, but needed, like $10k worth of repairs
& who knows how much in body & paint ?
(& it's an 80's Mustang-Mudstain :poke: )

He ended up with a 2009 (?) Subaru STX Impreza, AWD turbo'd,
that Rally blue, nice tan leather interior, nice gold wheels, nice tires,
it was already fully dealer undercoated from new, so it is a bit preserved
he lowered a tad & added coil overs, it's a really nice car...
Wouldn't have been my 1st choice either...
But for less than he paid for that 1st Mustang...
Even after he put a paint-job (respray) on the Impreza, he did all the prep
sweat equity, it was/is a really good-handling car, a cheap car to drive,
he drove it to the local ski resort a lot
something 'the Mustang' failed at miserably...
I had to go get him out of a ditch/stuck a couple of times, not his fault really...
Mustang was/is not a really good car for the mountains/or anywhere that snows/icey,
maybe in summer...

He's a pretty savvy car kid now...
He had to learn it himself, no matter what we taught or told him...

That kid Shea goes thru cars, almost like I did as a young man
he's always wheeling & dealing, works & plays hard...
He has a hot rod 68 VW bug now, IIRC he paid like $4k for it
with a later 73 (?) 1600 dual port,
200hp 2,100cc stroker/big cans, twin Webbers & extractor
nice wheels & tires, nice stance, nice ProCar interior, cheap on parts
easy to work on, decent mileage...
But it does do well in the snow too, for his ski trips...
He loves it...

I like VW Bugs too, but so many other cars to get...

------------------------------------------------------------------------

disclaimer, don't get me wrong;
I'm totally pro-American, I only own American car/trucks, all MoPar now
Plymouth, Dodge & Jeep
but some of American (brands made in Mexico or Canada) cars are still bad,
or just wimpy, or bad for a beginner or young driver

To me, it's just something about a Mustang
sorry but;
IMO way too many 'squirrels' drove Mustangs, back in the day & still do
makes it bad, ruined it for the rest

I do like the looks of the 2012-2014 Shelby GT500,
especially in Black & Gold stripes or White & Blue stripes livery
not on a kids' (parents) budget or a good 1st car for a new driver either...

to each their own

------------------------------------------------------------------

have you asked your son/kid what kind of car he likes ?
he may not get it, but maybe get a good compromise
make him earn it, and have him do chores if nothing else...
If you work hard for something, you will care for it more,
maybe respect it better too, it's a fact of life...

NO MATTER HOW WELL YOU WERE RAISED

If he wants to drive a stick, that's a good thing, teach him...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I never had a car bought for me,
I know it's a different era now too...
Some cars are pricey too, for something worth a ****/dependable...

I started out with a $150 POS, 240 straight 6, 3 on the tree, 65 Gallaxie 500
I cherished that POS
until I got my 1st Charger, I paid $350 for
hard-earned 3 + months 300+ hrs of work, & lots of overtime/savings,
& I had about $500 saved after working for a local Shell Station
& my dad's construction co., at $1.65 hr, min. wage in 1974

I have inherited 2 cars,
1 from my uncle,
a day 2 style 68 Barracuda Formula S 383 4bbl 4 speed
he bought new when he got back from his 1st stint (of many) in Viet Nam
(I wish I still had it)
& 1 from my Granddad,
a like new 12k miles, 97 Buick LeSabre 3.8ltr v6/4 speed auto, 4 dr, full leather
'a Grampas car, litterally' it was a great/dependable family car too...
I traded it in after putting 66k absolutely trouble-free miles on it,
taken kids all over the place, up & down Calif. sporting events, over 2 years...
for my;
99 Dakota SLT 4x4 5.2ltr Magnum 'I still own today 24 years later'...
I'm pretty sure I got both of them, because I was a person that helped them,
when they needed it or I showed interest in it...
I appreciated them too... Or maybe I earned it... ...

Last edited:
OK, been doing a bit of research, what kind fo luck have you guys had with Chevy Cruze or Dodge Darts (2013/2014?)

The wife and I bought the step son a 2004 Toyota Yaris from a family friend that drove slower than grandma.
Did he hate it? Yup
Did we care? Nope
Did he expect something cooler? Yup
Did we care? Nope
He paid the family friend weekly till it was paid off.
Has he wrecked it?
I think he has been road rallying the damn thing.
New shocks .. toast.
New exhaust replaced by him for more zoom sound.
New winter rims with tires. Bent rims

He expected us to help replace the parts. We didn't and now he is learning maintenance and likely taking better care of his crap.
He complained about his insurance cost till he went and priced it out elsewhere and crapped his pants. Now he starting to realize what we did for him to get started.

My eldest daughter is next. I fear because her mother will likely take advantage of her

My buddy with a used car lot has a sweet '06 Buick LaSalle that his 90-yo aunt owned. It has 61K miles and has the 3.8L supercharged V6 in it. I'm thinking of getting this one for myself...actually, for my wife. It is absolutely loaded, with leather, eight-speaker sound, A/C that'll freeze your nutz off; and it is that Buick yellow-gold color with tan leather. Just a nice, nice cruiser. That wouldn't make a great first car for a kid, due to the "old guy" factor. Her current ride is an '08 Buick Enclave with 190K on it. Drives beautifully, but it's coming up on needing new struts, shocks, brakes...and the dreaded (and expensive!) timing chain replacement.

He also has a '10 VW Tiguan Wolfsburg edition with 101K on it that is very nice, too. That is another great first car for someone,. I like those a lot.

BTW, Impalas are insurance nightmares because they are among the most stolen cars in the US and Canada.

OK, been doing a bit of research, what kind fo luck have you guys had with Chevy Cruze or Dodge Darts (2013/2014?)
As a Wisconsinite, I haven't seen a Dart on the public roads in 3 years now. Take that for what it is worth. In my opinion, the Dart was a ten years newer Chrysler version of the early 2000's Pontiac Sunfire. A "cool" car designed to last about 80,000 miles.

Auto Transport Service
Back