• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Teenagers and cars, best ride?

RTDaddy

Local time
3:11 AM
Reaction score
Gents,

Have teenager beginning to drive, looking at a ride for him to put less strain on transport duties. Was looking at a V-6 Charger due to ease of access to work on it, but insurance guy barely suppressed a laugh on that one, seems those and Impalas are on the insurance "hot sheet." Wifey speaks Honda, but I'd like to stay with the USA. So from a dependability/less insurance standpoint, what's everyone else doing? I know I should make him buy his own/gas/insurance like I did coming up, but prices being what they are he would never get there. Have a thick skin, so "boy's have at it." :thumbsup:

"I know I should make him buy his own/gas/insurance like I did coming up"
If you want a tough young man there is your answer.

find something from the drier climates
out west or southwest,
pay a lil' more in shipping &/or more initial price
for a clean 'mostly' rust-free version/s
will save you thousands, in the long run
better for them & their safety too

late 80's to 90's Jeep, Cherokee or YJ
IMHFO the later versions of the 97-99 Dakota
(4x4 pref., I love mine)
some like the previous versions 96 & prior too
(I didn't care for the body style much, but still good rigs)

the above;
still sort of cheap in price, good vehicles
not really the best in mileage, but not the worst either
easy to work on too
(outside of a vintage car/truck anyway)

make them do choirs, regularly 'or else'
that helps ease the pain of paying for ****

Last edited:
Get a Dodge Dart with a 4 banger.

Don't know what "sheet" he's looking at, wouldn't think Impalas would be on it. But, Hondas and Toyotas WILL be on it ! Does it have to be a car ? what about SUV or pickup ?

Grand Marquis.

The only car for a new driver.

2004 Buick Park Avenue Ultra. Reliable, a tank, and regular maintenance items like brake pads and rotors are easy.

You might even find a nice one at an estate sale.

2004-Buick-Park-Aveenue-Ultra-feature.png

Upon having to rethink the Charger, I was looking at Darts, Chevy Cobalts, Pontiac G5's. Trying to look at something 2005 later, with les than 150K miles. Had considered a Journey.

Upon having to rethink the Charger, I was looking at Darts, Chevy Cobalts, Pontiac G5's. Trying to look at something 2005 later, with les than 150K miles. Had considered a Journey.
How about a 1988 2.5 2 dr LeBaron? Should pass any safety. Of course the clear coat is burnt in places.

I like the 1st and 2nd gen Dakotas but the 2nd gens are many pounds heavier than the 1st gen. Getting hard to find a nice 1st gen though. If you find either, try not to get a V6 because they are gutless unless there's a 3.90 gear in the rear end. The V6 actually gets better mpg with the 3.90 gear than it does with the 3.55 which they usually come with and they are even better with a 4.30 gear so long as ya don't drive over 70. They actually become more fun with more gear and handle the weight of the truck much better with 3.90's or more. Don't think the factory installed anything more than a 3.90 though. My 5.2 92 Dakota got about the same mpg with a 3.90 as any V6 Dakota I ever had with a 3.55....and was much more fun to drive.

2004 Buick Park Avenue Ultra. Reliable, a tank, and regular maintenance items like brake pads and rotors are easy.

You might even find a nice one at an estate sale.

View attachment 1434538
Yep...
I had inherited a 97 LeSabre, from my 89 y/o granddad (RIP)
in Nov. of 1997, like a new car, like 12k miles on it
it was a great car...
Lisa & the kids went everywhere in it all up & down Calif.
ever sports event you can think of te kids all did...
66k miles worth in 2 years
Safe & nice Leather all the bells & whistles, decent tunes for the era
plenty of power, 22+mpg average, near 30mpg on the flat open highway
(like I-5) & 4 drs (more for your pleasure :poke: )
& on the road 'comfortable as hell' on longer road trips...

Big car for that era (truly just a midsize car, in size wise)...
I wasn't crazy about the V6 231/4 speed auto,
but I never had any issues with it ever...
They're cheap cars now...
I traded it in on my 99 Dakota SLT 4x4 5.2ltr Magnum,
I got $12 grand for it, paid $19k for the Dakota, cash,
dealer demo 1,200 miles on it
back in Nov. 99
& going on 24 years later
I'm still driving the 1999 Dakota SLT 4x4 5.2lt Magnum
'to this day' best lil' truck I've ever owned...
No rust no real issues a couple of sensors,
ABS & Trans speed sensor, new slotted & drilled front brakes
new tires & shock, that's about it other than reg oil/filter changes
many many others have come & gone

Last edited:
My sons 1st car at 17 was a 1960 Impala. He found it himself. He likes mechanic and body work though so it was to help him develop those skills more than anything else. He's 20 now. Had the coolest car in the high school parking lot.

Gents,

Have teenager beginning to drive, looking at a ride for him to put less strain on transport duties. Was looking at a V-6 Charger due to ease of access to work on it, but insurance guy barely suppressed a laugh on that one, seems those and Impalas are on the insurance "hot sheet." Wifey speaks Honda, but I'd like to stay with the USA. So from a dependability/less insurance standpoint, what's everyone else doing? I know I should make him buy his own/gas/insurance like I did coming up, but prices being what they are he would never get there. Have a thick skin, so "boy's have at it." :thumbsup:
Does your teen like cars or more towards 'get from A to B' type?

A very popular car around here, young and old, is the Subaru. Many models to choose from and are quite reliable, good on gas. Working on one might be more of a challenge compared to other makes.

A very popular car around here, young and old, is the Subaru. Many models to choose from and are quite reliable, good on gas. Working on one might be more of a challenge compared to other makes.
Weeelll, had a couple of cars from the rising sun land and one was a Dodge Colt and it was easy since it was a 76 model but the Mitsu was an 86 and that sob was a nightmare!! Just changing the oil was a beach.....and not the sanding one. It's crazy how different cars were from the mid 70's to the mid 80's.

Also mite think about getting an umbrella insurance policy , if you haven’t already.

grand prix or bonneville is a nice car to go with

I just bought my grandson a car for his birthday. I know you guys are going to give me hell but it wasn’t that bad on insurance And it has the V6. I told him I would help him as long as he keeps up his good grade’s. He lives with me so I watch him closely. Ok here is a picture of it. Take it easy on me guys.

08C67F39-C80C-44E4-BE18-037C49486E78.jpeg

84EDAD17-82F7-4EC1-839D-6B79A0678A45.jpeg

I just bought my grandson a car for his birthday. I know you guys are going to give me hell but it wasn’t that bad on insurance And it has the V6. I told him I would help him as long as he keeps up his good grade’s. He lives with me so I watch him closely. Ok here is a picture of it. Take it easy on me guys.

View attachment 1434592

View attachment 1434593
Too bad they don't have coupes and fastbacks like in the 60's and 70's. The girls drove the coupes and the guys had the fastbacks! :D I'm laughing because it was true back then lol

Auto Transport Service
Back