• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tell me if my thoughts make sense

Red63440

Local time
5:20 AM
Reaction score
I am in the process of pulling the rear hubs on my 64 Fury.. The idea was to just replace the bearings and seals but holy ****, I can't see going through this every time I need to check my brakes. So after reading several posts I figured well...I will go to Dr. Diff and buy the axle conversion and buy the backing plates kit, that should run me about $970.00 if I buy everything from Dr. Diff.
Here's the question, wouldn't be just be cheaper to buy a later year B body housing WITH the axles and backing plates for a few hundred and just install it after installing new bearings, seals and my center section? Am I missing something here??

If all you’re trying to do is stop the pain of tapered axles, I think finding a ‘65 housing makes sense to me, unless it’s a concourse car.

Even on a so called "concours" car can't see the axle and nut with wheels installed, right? So who knows and you still use the same pumpkin, right? BUT I'm not any where near an expert on this.

Its just a cruiser that I want to enjoy and looks make a difference but the $$$ just don't add up with this. Was there a difference between the 64 and 65 in width?

Someone may know more than me on this, but I think 62-67 width is the same. 68-70 is a little wider. I'm not sure from there.

The '64 is a different width, wider than the '62,'63 or '65, although I believe the spring perches are the same. I'm sure someone will put the reference chart up shortly.

I swapped to to '65 Coronet rear - perfect fit but I got the assembly pretty cheap 20 years ago..

I would do the conversion, just save the original stuff. I don’t blame you at all, it was an improvement for serviceability. I feel stuff like that can be easily reversed and aids in safety is worth every penny. I also wouldn’t have a old car without a dual pot master cylinder .. unless it was strictly a show car.

I would do the conversion, just save the original stuff. I don’t blame you at all, it was an improvement for serviceability. I feel stuff like that can be easily reversed and aids in safety is worth every penny. I also wouldn’t have a old car without a dual pot master cylinder .. unless it was strictly a show car.
It’s already been updated to a dual master cylinder so this is the last elephant in the room to deal with.

Drum to drum on the 64 is 60 7/8”, 1965 is 59 1/2”. Spring perches are both 44”. So there is an 1 3/8” difference in width which is about 11/16” narrower on a side. Should fit like a glove.

I converted both of my '64 Polara's to '68-'70 rear ends. A straight bolt in. Just change the rear E-brake cables to '64 style. It is a lot easier to work on brakes and pull axles with this style rear end.

Just need to find one available within driving distance.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back