• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tell us your "BUSTED" stories!

goose69

Local time
7:28 AM
Reaction score
Thought this might be another fun thread. Tell all of us some of your "busted" stories. Maybe you got caught racing where you shouldn't have, or burning off tires or possibly having a car that attracted too much negative attention. Tell us what it is.
I'll tell you one to start off.
My buddy and I were cruising one night many moons ago, me in my '69 Roadrunner (383) and him in his '64 Belvedere (413). After our many strolls through town we found ourselves in the back of an empty parking lot off a main strip about midnight. It was pretty dead so we decided to call it a night and head home. He pulled out first and went up to a stop sign still within the parking lot. I saw his rear bumper rise as his back tires started spinning and smoke rolling from them. He let the brakes go and left a nice set of posi marks. Well...... not to be showed up I pulled up to the white line, applied the brakes and line lock and stabbed the throttle. The converter locked up and the back tires started screaming! Smoke began to roll from the wheel wells and engulf the car. I released the brakes about the time the front of the hood disappeared. The bird rolled slowly out of the smoke cloud still melting the rear tires. Satisfied with the fog bank I left behind I pulled out onto the deserted street. At this point in time I see red and blue lights flashing from across the road in an adjacent lot. My stomach sank and I felt my heart pounding in my throat. Well Jonny Law pulled me over and asked where I was going. "Home" I replied. He said "when you catch up to your buddy, let him know he owes you one because I was gonna pull him over until you had the great idea you wanted to show him up with your impressive smoke show". Not so good for me I was thinking. He said he could wright me up for careless driving but gave me a ticket for excessive tire noise instead. Damn BFG's! Well I tucked my tail between my legs and slumped home. This will be 1 MORE ticket I WON'T tell dad about! :3gears:

In 1975 I had a 427 4 spd, 4.56 68 Chevelle, and had just returned from Panama for a short deployment. While I was gone I had given a local speed shop $1400 and instructions to "make it run" Gotta remember, headers were like $50 then. I picked it up and had just gotten about 500 miles breakin on the car when a buddy who raced slid into the seat next to me and and said "Let's see what she'll do". I was at a T intersection, in front of 1st Brigade, 101st Abn headquarters, Ft Campbell Ky, and I figured I'd just dump the clutch and slide sideways thru the intersection. Tach it to about 3800, dump the clutch and "HOLY MUTHA!!" all I can see is blue skys and leaves.... Push the clutch back in, hit the brakes just as I hit the "No Parking" sign in front of Bde headquarter. Of course the car dies... The ring gear has a spot with teeth missing, and oh yea... that's where the starter is sitting, won't start. My Buddy has un assed the car and is GONE. I jump out and pop the hood, thinking "how do I explain THIS" so I grabbed the throttle cable and put a kink in it just as I'm surrounded by Majors and Cols. They're yelling that I'm going to jail, I'm an idiot, they had seen me doing this before, etc, but I finally convinced them I had just gotten back and the car had the work done on it, and the cable had stuck. Someway they bought it, actually helped me push start the car, and I took it off post out gate 6, and it didn't come back on post for about 3 months.

I have quite a few stories on this topic but the dumbest of all... I was 17 and driving a 307 1971 Nova still in high school. I had several tickets still "pending" at the time. (Waiting court date for drag racing, wreckless driving and a speeding ticket) Anyway, my car and I had sort of gotten a reputation for being a problem child in my town of 20,000 people. So it seemed like whenever a cop saw me they would follow me around waiting for the "easy" ticket.

So I dropped off a buddy of mine after school and was leaving his neighborhood. Got out to the main street and was sitting at the light waiting for it to turn. While I was sitting there I lit a smoke, the last one in the pack right as the light turned. I turned right onto the main street and flicked my empty pack of smokes out the window. I just glanced back in the rearview and the empty pack of smokes landed smack in the middle a cops windshield. To this day I have no idea where he came from. He wasn't at the light with me and all of 5 seconds had passed after turning...he came out of nowhere just in time for my empty pack to land on him... I got a $200 litering fine....

Well, I’ve gotten a “few” stories on this topic as well… lol.
One of the “better” ones is of me in my Mazda daily driver. Yes, it is a 4 banger, but even those 4 cylinders can churn some speed out with a 20psi snail shell blowing through them and a bunch of other work. I like to tinker… lol. Anyway, I had just done some more work to her and was driving to work through some empty farm roads. You know the kind, the roads that are nice and curvy fun and no-one but a cow and a tractor for miles. Well, long story short, one of the things I had done was remove the governor that topped my car out at 155 and my aim was to verify… sigh. The State Trooper tagged me at 120. In a 50. Minimum. My life flashed before my eyes. My career was over. I knew I shouldn’t have gotten the vanity plates that said “GO FA5TR.”
Well, she asked me what my excuse was and I said “None.” I told her I didn’t have one, not that one would have applied and to let me know what she needed me to do. She came back to my window with a ticket for 80mph and reminded me that she could have also given me a ticket for wreckless driving, but didn’t. If I didn’t think it would have prompted guns to have been drawn on me, I would have jumped out the car and given her a hug.

Well like everyone else i have a few good stories... This is in the New york area 1979 ,we would meet on fridays at an old Mc Donald's (Larchmont) that still had the Golden Arcs. Set up the deal & head to North Shore Road a prefect 1/4 mile next to a golf course. I had a Orange 1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 magnum 4sp. against a 1972 chevy SS Chevelle. At the line doing a burnout , & all hell broke out .The cops & state p.d. where hiding in the woods. Damn it , they got all of us!! checking out all the other vehicles for infractions. I didn't get a ticket for drag racing but for unsafe start. Well this was my 3rd or so ticket. They in pounded my car & suspended my license. $550 was very heavy in those days. I still can remember that look on my Dads face....

We'll one day at the lake me and my buddy was fishing so we pulled up in this cove , and walked up into the woods and found a nice log to set on so i fired up a joint and about half way thru i was passing it to him when a hand grabbed it with a green shirt on turned around and it was the game warden.

Ok we were in Fairfield, Ca. out by Travis Air Force Base on Ball Canary rd. My buddy Rocco Peralta Jr. was there with his 69 RR 383 4spd typical late 70's HP type car build, Cheap *** headers, Bumpy cam, Aluminum 4bbl manifold, Holley DP carb, 4.56:1 gears, traction bars, wide tires, bla bla bla, he was about to race a guy with a bad little 69 SBC 377ci Camaro, we sent a guy down to park in a driveway of a business down the road & shine his lights across the road at the 1/4 mile mark, we watched him go down the dark road pull of turnaround & shine his lights across the road, we thought anyway, I flag started the 2 of them, they take off, Rocco is doing well for a guy who can't drive a 4spd for ****, the Camaro beat him buy a car or so it looked like, then all hell broke loose, the car we thought was our friend at the end marking the finish line was actually a Cop car, the guy who was suppose to be marking the finish line was arrested, in the back of the cop car & they fooled us all, the cop took off after the guy in the Camaro he ran instantly, Rocco pulled over to get the ticket, the cop blasted his lights at him said to "stay there" over his PA system, & chased off after the Camaro, everybody else cleared out instantly, I was there at the start all by my self, Rocco suddenly realized the cops were gone, came back picked me up & we were driving back to his sisters house in Susuin City {a suburb of Fairfield}, we got to downtown Fairfield there is a cruise night going on, we went down the main drag, about half way down his chaep *** shitty headers & exhaust falls apart, it is open headers on 1 side & the other side is barely hanging on, load as hell in downtown, cops every were, they pull him over & ask if he was the guy they told to wait on Ball Canary rd. after the race, he said wrongly, "no it wasn't me", the cop said to him "you idiot, if you said it was you, I would have let you off with just a ticket, I know it was you, I have your license plate number & I saw your face when I pulled you over & told you to stay & wait", The cop makes me get out, he cuffs me {I'm a 6"-2" 250 guy in my prime at the time}, he said he was doing for my own good, I think he was scared he was kind of a little guy, he arrested Rocco for "felony avaiding a police officer in a crime", I think that is what he called it, he told me to take Rocco's car home, after I put the exhaust back together, he gave me a bullshit ticket for "accessory & knowledge of a crime", I got it back to his sisters house, I went back to bail him out, I didn't have enough money, but they let him out on his own behave... It cost him when we went to court, a week or so latter, something like $300 for the leaving the scene, then $300 for the exhaust mods {bullshit fine}, $1500 for exhibition of speed, in a speed contest, $300 for 100+mph in a 35mph zone, suspended his license for a year {he drove anyway} & his insurance went thru the roof also, I got off on all bogus charges, they were trying to make me an accessory to a crime, the judge dropped all the charges on me & threw the book at Rocco.....

I used to work at a Super Shops in town and had access to many "burn off" tires so I had installed a couple 1 night. The next morning on the way to work I spotted an empty parking lot. I pulled in and picked a spot in the middle of it away from any large damaging type obstructions. I started a burnout and twised the steering wheel to the left hooking a tight cookie. Spinnig a few times that way I whipped it the other way to complete my figure 8. It was turning out great until I noticed some faint red & blue lights blinking through the smoke floating around me. I immediatly stopped and when the smoke cleared I saw the cop car parked at a safe distance sitting there with lights going waiting for me to finish my show. He pulled up and got out. Comming up to the door he said "that was an impressive show there son". He told me he wasn't gonna give me a ticket this time but he didn't wanna see me do that again. Yea, once again I wimpered away.

Last edited:
A few years back a buddy of mine bought this mid 90's Camaro z28, mostly stock nothing fancy but quick compared to my daily driver. He stopped by and wanted to take me for a quick spin. We get a couple blocks down just out the back of the neighborhood where there is a perfect quarter mile stretch to a stop sign. Used to be a dirt road but now new pavement with a speed limit of 25. He nailed the gas at the one end, hit 110 and we screached to a halt at the stop sign. unknowingly we passed a side road with a cop on it...he didn't get our speed but managed to sneak up behind us at the next stop sign. Un-knowingly my buddy squeaked the tire around the corner giving him the reason to pull us over. Couldn't get us to admit to speeding so nailed him with a $75 excessive noise fine.

Back in the day, would have been Spring 1976, I was driving a 1973 Plymouth Roadrunner, Autumn Bronze Metallic, white stripe package, white vinyl roof (not the Halo), white interior, 318 powered up, and I was only 18 looking at 19 years young. Talk about wasting youth on the young. Anyway... I always took a shortcut through an Industrial Complex where the Cops allegedly rarely set up their speed traps, and I was flying...probably about 70 in 35 mph zone. My girlfriend then lived across town, and this was the shortest route to get there.

I got pulled over on this Saturday afternoon and I looked in the rear view and it was my neighbor, Officer Foster, who only lived three houses from me. He came up to me and said..."Dave Dave Dave". He then lectured me, and let me off with a warning.

The very next weekend...I did the same thing...and he pulled me over again. Again I heard..."Dave Dave Dave..." and he let me off with another lecture and warning.

Stupid dumbass that I was, I did it a third weekend in a row...and that time, he ticketed my young dumb ***.

:kermit:

And this Kermit thing is too funny...that girlfriend had bought me a Kermit stuffed animal, and it sat in the back seat with an empty Heineken bottle between his legs, and artificial stogie in his mouth...

One for the good guys

I have a story about NOT getting caught! In northern Wisconsin way back in the day, when the drinkin age was 18, I was Not driving, but was in the back seat when my buddy (who is now a cop, ironically) was driving his mid 80's hatchback mustang with a 302. Coming back from Hurley, Wisconsin, (you look up the history of Hurley). My friend in the passenger seat was always good at recognizing cars at night by their headlights. He warned my friend (driving) that a cop was coming toward us on the highway. We already were doing 75. By the time the cop got turned around, we were doing over 110 in the opposite direction on a lonely highway in northern Wisconsin. We knew the highway, so he just kept going. After about 2 miles we took an alternate route but missed the turnoff "a little bit" and took out a 4X4 stop sign post and went down into the ditch. "A real scene from "the dukes of hazzard" We came back onto the road, whipped around and continued down the "detour" (about a 46 mile detour) just to not get caught.
Two more details made it a fun night. We ran out of gas about 4 miles from our true destination, right in front of one of our teachers at 2:15 in the morning and borrowed gas from him. Then the next morning listening to my friends explanation to his girlfriend about how he got a dent in the front bumper and top of the roof just above the windshield at the same time.

This is a great thread

This is not on of mine but my sons upon graduating high school i bought my son a 91 nissan 240 sx 2.4kade it was built with a 5 speed no turbo quite fast for what it was,anyway he used to go to the local street racing spots and raced his car [never got caught] would do 140 plus. One night he went out there with his other car 05 mustang just to watch and hang out with his friends the cops raided the area and blocked off the parking area and began handing out tickets he got a 156.00$ ticket for spectating and 3 points off his licence,talk about bad luck.

Yep, here I am with another one! I had just got back into town from working on the North Slope (Alaska) for a few months and went out to get some Chineese food. We didn't have the opportunity to drive much up there and it was all gravel roads in the dead of winter. So jumping in my 340 'Cuda and driving down town felt GREAT!!! I was on a serious high so when I pulled out of the restaurant's parking lot I stabbed the throttle and pitched the car sideways. Heck, this was a 4 lane road with a center median and NO traffic so there was lots of room. I left a big chunk of my tires on the black top and kept on cruising home with a mile long smile on my face. That was until that black and white car came up behind me with lights a flashing. As you guessed it, another ticket. Careless driving, but hey... I had complete control of my car...even while sideways right? You can steer with the posi, right? He did say it was a lesser ticket because it could have been reckless driving if he wanted to, gee thanks mister!

I have a story about NOT getting caught! In northern Wisconsin way back in the day, when the drinkin age was 18, I was Not driving, but was in the back seat when my buddy (who is now a cop, ironically) was driving his mid 80's hatchback mustang with a 302. Coming back from Hurley, Wisconsin, (you look up the history of Hurley). My friend in the passenger seat was always good at recognizing cars at night by their headlights. He warned my friend (driving) that a cop was coming toward us on the highway. We already were doing 75. By the time the cop got turned around, we were doing over 110 in the opposite direction on a lonely highway in northern Wisconsin. We knew the highway, so he just kept going. After about 2 miles we took an alternate route but missed the turnoff "a little bit" and took out a 4X4 stop sign post and went down into the ditch. "A real scene from "the dukes of hazzard" We came back onto the road, whipped around and continued down the "detour" (about a 46 mile detour) just to not get caught.
Two more details made it a fun night. We ran out of gas about 4 miles from our true destination, right in front of one of our teachers at 2:15 in the morning and borrowed gas from him. Then the next morning listening to my friends explanation to his girlfriend about how he got a dent in the front bumper and top of the roof just above the windshield at the same time.

This is a great thread

Well get out the orange paint and the 01 decals!!! sweet!

Back in the day, would have been Spring 1976, I was driving a 1973 Plymouth Roadrunner, Autumn Bronze Metallic, white stripe package, white vinyl roof (not the Halo), white interior, 318 powered up, and I was only 18 looking at 19 years young. Talk about wasting youth on the young. Anyway... I always took a shortcut through an Industrial Complex where the Cops allegedly rarely set up their speed traps, and I was flying...probably about 70 in 35 mph zone. My girlfriend then lived across town, and this was the shortest route to get there.

I got pulled over on this Saturday afternoon and I looked in the rear view and it was my neighbor, Officer Foster, who only lived three houses from me. He came up to me and said..."Dave Dave Dave". He then lectured me, and let me off with a warning.

The very next weekend...I did the same thing...and he pulled me over again. Again I heard..."Dave Dave Dave..." and he let me off with another lecture and warning.

Stupid dumbass that I was, I did it a third weekend in a row...and that time, he ticketed my young dumb ***.

:kermit:

And this Kermit thing is too funny...that girlfriend had bought me a Kermit stuffed animal, and it sat in the back seat with an empty Heineken bottle between his legs, and artificial stogie in his mouth...

I like the Kermit thing too! I have a stuffed 5' tall Roadrunner that used to ride around in my '69 roadrunner's back seat too. I still have it in the attic and when the car gets done, back in the rear seat it goes! Along with the Roadrunner tin lunch pail that I took to work the other week, got lots of comments with that!

Getting into the "wayback machine" takes me to around '65 when I was about 19, full of you know what, going to college, and driving a '60 Impala with the venerable 283 4bbl with Powerglide. Only had the car a couple weeks at the time when the discussion ensued between a friend and myself about what top end was for the car. I mentioned I had no idea as the car was still new to me etc, but "hey, let's find out!!!!!"

Now it was just after sunset, we were cruising South on I-75 just North of Flint, Michigan. Speed limit was 70, weather cool but clear, very little traffic, so I put the pedal to the metal.

The 4bbl opened all the way, the P'glide kept winding out as they do, the dual glass packs were barking away, and life was as good as it gets at that age while still having your clothes on. I anticipated the bobbing and weaving as we went around what few cars were on the road while keeping a nervous eye on the North bound lanes for any cruisers.

The speedo had pegged at the 110mph mark for a mile or two so who knows what we were really doing. As I slowed and took the Corruna Rd exit the old red gumball light came on behind me. And then it dawned on me I could see the State Police Post from the exit and had probably made a bad choice for my vehicle test as well as the exit.

There were two patrolmen in the car and the older one came to the window and said - "you were flying kinda low weren't ya?" "Oh yessir I said. I was definitely doing more than the speed limit." (at least I didn't dig myself in deeper with the "no idea - wasn't paying attention" stupid comment).

"Yes, quite a bit over the limit" he said. "We were just coming down the opposite entrance ramp when I saw you passing thru traffic. We turned around thru the median and couldn't catch you to pace your speed (no radar back then) before you slowed and exited. So I'm gonna give you a ticket for 90+mph and assign it to the local JP out here."

Well, the ticket ended up only costing me $25 thru the Justice of the Peace, which I delivered to his wife at his house. Don't recall how many points I got on the license or what it did to the insurance. I had already been pulled over at gunpoint in the previous car some weeks prior because it matched the description of a robbery vehicle and the cop said I looked like I was trying to get away from him. (I was squealing the tires as I left a stop sign and had no idea he was anywhere near).

So needless to say I cooled it for a while. And ironically, the car was totalled about 3-4 wks later when a guy turned in front of me at an intersection of two country roads at about 2:30 in the morning, and then came back out thru a parking lot and in front of me. I wa slucky in that I missed the 2 gas pumps on the other corner as I bounced off him and went into the ditch alongside the raised road. When I came to a stop 2 residential yards later, smoke eas rising from under the hood, the pipes had broken loose, and the engine was still burbling away.

The Sheriff's Patrol gave him 2 tickets but my car was still totalled, lost the $100 deductible for uninsured motorist (which he was), plus $100+ in new battery and ball joints recently installed. Cool car but what a bummer. The only thing I salvaged was the reverb I had installed only weeks before. That was a big loss in 1965 dollars as well as to my young stud's ego.

Life goes on - fortunately.

New Year's Eve 1990. Seemed like a good idea to me & my friends to do a burnout on Main strt. @ the stroke of midnight in front of all the other kids hanging around...My 69 Rd. Runner (same car i still have) smoked em nicely till the 2 cop cars that were talking at the gas station came w/ light flashing. I shut my lights off & let go of the brakes! had it floored to the end of town & used the E-brake to make the 90 degree turn & not show the direction i was heading ( the Crown/ clown Vics) were way back... I circled back around to my grandpa's corn field & sat on the roof watching the cops look for me w/ spotlight in the field where i hung the 90. Cocky guy i was i thought it would be a good idea to drive back up Main to show everyone i out-ran the 2 cops...all was goin' great till i met the 3rd cop they had called in! A friend in the back seat said, "do it again"! But i knew the gig was up they could now visually confirm it was me driving & b4 they only seen the back of my car & no way to say for sure it was me at the wheel.
So i pulled over, got a long list of charges, had to let my then girlfriend/now wife drive my car away while i went to jail becuase i refused to call my parents...
Of course I was the talk of town the next day & luckly an older friend that had stayed home the night b4 & not blown all his cash heard about me so he bailed me out.
I spent 9 months fighting in court to get everything reduced to willfull reckless driving & it cost me over $2500.00 dollars (a small fortune to me then).
Worst part was this wasn't the last time I ran...but i never got caught again.

It was really foolish of me & I'm very fortunate no one ever got hurt! I am so thankful for that. Man am I ever thankful for that!!!
DO NOT TRY THIS

I could write a book, but here's one... It was a clear, beautiful spring Saturday evening back in the early 70s. Getting out of work, I offered to give my goomba best buddy Joey a ride home. Going thru a main strip in his Italian neighborhood, all the locals were out on the sidewalks & bistros, etc. At a red light, we get a Cuda pull up next to us on our right. Joey glances over to me & says Rob, show 'em some religion. OK, lets go. Green light & we go... My 6-barrel Road Runner holeshots & annihilates the Cuda... But as I bang into 4th gear, Joey rips out the 8-track tape from under the dash & yells "TURN... TURN NOW !! " I glance in the rearview & see the red/blue lights flashing in the distance. I downshift & brake, then left turn down a one-way one-lane sidestreet. There at the end of the street, is a box truck stopped at a light. Nowhere to go, I'm stopped behind the truck thinking, "I'm dead meat ", looking in the rearview anticipating the cop car. The truck creeps up, as enough room enables me to pull around him. So I whip down another street, take another turn, then park amongst cars on this residential side-street. We get out... so far...nothing. We stroll up to the main drag. There, one of Joeys friends sees him & says, almost hyperventilating, "Joey, you just missed it !! This awesome drag race, this purple flash blew by, some guy just blew away this Cuda !! The cops bagged the Cuda down the street... " You had to see the quizzical look on the guys face, as we both immediately broke out in hysterical laughing, mostly in relief !

there where many, but here is one, it was about 1966, central ave. yonker's ny, me and my buddy in his 63 ply. 383, and me in my 62 sport fury 361 racing from light to light. little did we know there was a cop trying to catch up to us in his little ford falcon with the gum ball rotary light on top, well they finally pulled us over, and the first thing they said, "well it took us awhile,but we caught up to you guy's" license and registration, well we started to laugh, but we knew these cop's,only because they pulled us over so many times. so they gave us ticket's for unsafe movement.

Way back in '90 I got pinched for runnin' on the street with my 72 Poncho LeMans - a 350 2 bbl against my bud's 73 350-powered Nova. We were out late at night in a non-residential area, and hit from the light, and as I was just about to hit the 40 mph speed limit, we were neck and neck, and I spotted two squads on the left in a parking lot, and prompty hit the brakes.

One goes after me, and the other after my pal. When he pulls me over, he asks "what were you doing back there?". I said "nothing, just on the way home". He says "that's not what your buddy said". He said "you were street racing!!". I said "baloney, I never even hit the speed limit!" He then says "get out of the car, you're under arrest for drag racing". WTF, my pal didn't have enough street smarts to say he wasn't racing?? Moron. He was obviously too green when it comes to the police, and said we were indeed racing.

Sooo, we're getting booked at the local cop shop, and I'm thinking about how I have to call my p's to get the bailout money when my pal asks me "do you have $6"? I said yeah, why? He then says "I got enough to cover the both of our bail money then"! Woo hoo, we were free.

Sad part is I lost my driving rights for a year over that dumb race!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back