• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Testing a dash cluster with it on the bench.

71Beeper

Local time
6:48 AM
Reaction score
Guys, is there any way to safely test the dash cluster when its still on the bench?
I just installed my wiring harness for my 1971 Runner.
I'd like to test the different circuits before the whole thing goes back into the car?
I switched over to LED's for the dash lights - I'd like to test them to see how they light up the dash.
June 25th (17).jpg

Sure, supply 12 volts to the black wire terminal of the ammeter or the corresponding alternator out circuit in the bulkhead connector (black 12ga wire at cavity 18). This will fire up unswitched circuits. Will need to jump the ignition switch Molex pins to fire up the key-switched circuits, red to black for accessory and red to blue for ignition 1. Don't forget to ground the frame and the main harness ground ring terminal.

If you are using LEDs for the indicator lamps, you may want to match the LED color to the color of the indicator lens. The high color temps of the white LEDs can skew colors through the lens otherwise.

Last edited:
I have a box of old wall wart transformers, I dug around and found one that put out 12VDC and wired the end with alligator clips. It works great when testing dashboards. It's handy to find continuity problems and make sure all the LED lights are phased correctly before it's all back in the car. This was my friend's Barracuda dash that I was working on.
1656829508739.png

Do you use a regular battery or like a 12 volt deer feeder battery?

Auto Transport Service
Back