• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TF 904 horrible noise

Diz TheFiddler

Local time
11:34 PM
Reaction score
Hi BBody guys,

straight to the point. My '68 TF 904 makes horrible noises. But first what i did:

The transmission was leaking everywhere. I had it out to install new seals for the shifter lever. So I straightened and cleaned the pan, gave it a new gasket and replaced the outputshaft seal. I want to use this transmission only for permission test/check here in austria and then install a different one. So the transmission will run about 20 miles at all. So i reused the transmission fluid after i filtered it through a paint filter and only cleaned the tranny fluid filter instead of using a new one. I adjusted the kickdown band, the low/reverse band and the shifter linkage according to the manual.

The Problem:
First I poured 6L of ATF into the tranny. Then i started it, stopped and started again a few times, because i had to check if the smoke comes just from dirty exhaust manifolds and check the power steering fluid.
After 2-3 min of running in neutral, it suddenly made some high frequent chirping noises which got louder and louder quickly and came from the middle of the car. I stopped the engine of course. nothings leaking.
When i started it again to try it in P, chirping started after a few seconds. Stopped.
I added 0,5L ATF, started it and shifted through gears. I thought, maybe it needs to get oil everywhere. Didnt help, chirping after a few seconds.
30min later i started again to bend under the car to hear where it comes from. Chirping immediately after starting and one second later a short strange loud mechanic noise like something too big gets into a mill. Then I didnt start it again of course.

My thoughts:
I find it strange, that the chirping noise sounds like a dry running bearing, but it has no effect on idle speed. So it doesnt seem like there is really something seizing because it doesnt put any load on the engine.
And yes, i installed the converter correctly, i measured it according to the manual, but i had to pull it about 3 - 5mm forward to bolt it to the flexplate, when the transmission was in.
And no, the sound can not come from the rear axle or the driveshaft, because they weren't turning.
And i dont think it comes from the engine because i did nothing to it except of replacing the valve cover gaskets. Additionally i know this chirping noise from my dads Diesel Cherokee. It has a NAG1 and when it shifts under full load, it makes this chirp, but much shorter and quieter.

Would be really cool if someone reads my torqueflite problem novel and knows advice. What can be the failure? What can i do? I hope i didnt toast the tranny. It just has to run about 20miles with a 318 with flat cam and about 80 - 100hp.

Thanks in advance
Diz

Hi David,

no it is definitely not. It was rubbing before because it was heavily bent, so i know its noise. But i straightened it and checked it by turning the engine by hand after i installed it.

i really dont think its the problem. if it was the noise should have started from the beginning. but its no work, ill try it.

A few weeks ago i found the problem. I wanna post it here, maybe it helps someone someday.

The piston, which is operated by the gear shift lever was fully pushed out. You have to pull the oilpan and the filter to access that piston. I must have done this somehow when i was changing the oil seal of the shift lever. So really take care that you dont push in or pull out any of these shafts (shift and kickdown) when the levers are taken off. I only put it out about 2mm and put it back in place immediately and checked if it was right. But somehow i must have pulled out that piston inside.

Car runs and drives without unusual noises, so i hope that transmission will last for 30km till its registered here in austria.

Auto Transport Service
Back