• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TF727 inspection and rebuild

One tip i found in several Youtube video's was that if you can find one, change the rear clutch Bellville spring for the later model ('74-up), which is more beefier/stronger. (mine shown in the picture, the "skinny" version)
You can't just change the spring, IIRC. You need the piston as well....and maybe more. I gotta look at some parts lol... Someone that does these more often will chime in.

As far as I know the late spring works on each piston. But the early spring works just fine.

From what I've seen is they pulled a 727 apart with an early spring and replaced it with a later spring together with the metal version of the washer/ring that sits next to it.
The original was a plastic one, they recommended to use the metal one for racing an diesel applications.
I will stick with the original one then I guess.

Regarding the front drum bushing, I think it is a typo as I did not find any info on this small size difference on the stator support.
If I purchase that pump (complete) I can always reuse my own stator support as it is in good condition.

As far as I know the late spring works on each piston. But the early spring works just fine.
Still looking for the pieces to compare..... did find where Carl Monroe`s book says "the springs do not interchange "....maybe I'm missing something??

I've never had the plastic spacer break. Melt? yes during a catastrophic clutch failure. I have seen the weld on the metal spacer break. The rear clutch piston and spring are changed as a pair. The pistons and springs are different heights. The rear clutch always applies when the vehicle is stationary. High line pressure and a blocked accumulator can contribute to failure. Though I've never failed either type. The rear stator bushings from 67 and up are all the same. Trans Parts on Line sells Rabestos, Borg Warner, Alto.
All flex bands are inexpensive. The best price I've found on red lined hard bands is A&A. $75 plus a $75 core.
Doug

Maybe it had to do with the plastic spacer potentially being squeezed, the wave spring next to it might not be able to keep it retained properly at same point?
Regardless, i will stick to the one i have.
I will contact Trans parts to see for a shipping quote and get the order in, i think the Alto red eagle performance frictions, kolene steels and raybestos flex band will serve me well.

How did your race weekend go, Doug?

Is it me or is it very hard now days to get a reply from vendors if you are asking for a shipping quote for a parts list?
I contacted Trans parts several days ago but so far no answer unfortunately.

I had quite a few 727's out of 360 vans. I wonder if those got the steel spacer not the plastic? I think I've always used the steel spacer.

What would be the difference between a A&A '62-Up overhaul kit combo (MK22000CK-5) and the A&A '62-'70 overhaul kit (MK22000AK-5)?
Both are with red frictions and Kolene steels, for the front clutch both kit have 5 thin frictions that fit the stock drum.
Just wonder about the mentioned year period differences, I can get the '62-up kit local but wonder it will fit my transmission.

The pre-'66 727's had lot's of different parts in them. The 5 discs in the 4 disc drum should work good. I used the Cope parts to do that for the last few I did. Thinner steels and frictions. Not sure what the A&A kit has for parts. But if it goes to '70 you should be OK.

It's confusing, it does state '62-Up "Combo", but I wonder why they also have kits that clearly state '62-'70 as well.
As per description the frictions are same and Kolene steels.
Too bad A&A has such poor descriptions and missing/incorrect pictures on their website, have to be a pro to understand the differences :)

Too bad A&A has such poor descriptions and missing/incorrect pictures on their website, have to be a pro to understand the differences
They're just a phone call away..... I do that before hitting up a message board..... I think the only difference is one kit is gonna have some more gaskets to cover more years.

Most kits contain parts for many of the variety of years & styles of 727. I've never had a kit that went back to '62, only '66 and later. But...? Some differences in the front pump sealing rings(66 to 70 & '71 & up), maybe some different lip seals. A&A has a top quality reputation, so.

Pfff..I left it as is and send an email to A&A to buy directly from them, everything in 1 go...I hope.
I am just hoping they do reply on emails.

I heard everywhere A&A sells quality material, but for a 1st timer all different kits and parts can be confusing at times. ('62-Up or '62-'70...wtf)
For me websites like that needs to clearly state every single piece in the kit so I know it is included or not....maybe I am paranoid but just don't like surprises with parts that seemed not included.
A&A their site is not that site but they sell the good stuff so I have to deal with the paranoid thoughts and just order it. :)

Unfortunately, you really won't know exactly what a kit contains until you have it in front of you and can compare each part with what your stock part is. Again not sure what the '62-65 parts would be in the kit?

I selected the kit that says '62-70, will see what is left after I used what I require for may transmission.

I have a nice pump housing. If your reaction shaft support is good you wouldn't need a pump. Just pump gears and a bushing. I can put a bushing in it. Either bronze or babbit.
Message me.
Doug

20220620_120736.jpg

I had requested a shipping quote to A&A and had a reply just yesterday.
I included a complete pump as well, lets see if they have it all in stock.
Thank you for your offer Doug, if I am unable to source a pump I will contact you for sure on that offer.

Hoping they will have it completed after the weekend so they can send it asap.

A&A has dropped a box off at the DHL depot, coming my way.
When I get to it I will post some pics of the rebuild.
Still 2 more weeks of work and after a week on holiday before I will get to it though.
Thanks all so far for the suggestions and tips!

Auto Transport Service
Back