• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The 4-door Barracuda at Mecum

Oh no, someone thought waaay of the box! They didn’t build a gen 3 hemi 68-70 b body or e body, they didn’t build a convertible wing car, or convertible charger! He came up with an original idea that nobody has done, and probably won’t ever do again. Burn the man!:mob:
The idea was poorly executed, the roof doesn't jive with Barracuda roof line,the car looks ridiculous! I build these one off cars you are referring to.

I too admire his talent. But his taste? I was with you till what you said about Sublime. I love Sublime.
For me, I just thought the color was over-done for awhile. In the 80s, it seemed that a large percentage of magazine feature cars, when they were a Mopar, it was Green.
I like most all the colors but I do have to take a hard PASS at FM3, Panther Pink/Moulin Rouge
Selling yourself a tad short Greg? :lol:
Well, I'm short on the $600,000 that was spent to build that car, as well as the skills to do custom work that looks like a factory effort.
I'd never build such a car anyway.
Yeah, Greg needs to check his color bias.... Gonna start thinking he's not really a Mopar guy.... :poke: :poke:

Oh well, I don't really like red... Even though I own two red cars...:lol:
Red...Yeah, I know the color isn't a favorite of everyone. I hadn't had a red car before this one of mine that was F8 green originally. I once considered stripping the '70 down and changing it to B5 blue, a color that now stands at the top of the heap for me.
red is hard for me to look at; but it exists in the world, so I must adapt
This car is FK5, Burnt Orange metallic. When that color is new, I like it. When the clear fades, it looks really bad to me. I want to paint it B5 eventually....

IMG_2886.JPG

This concept drawing that has floated around the internet for awhile doesn't look terrible. The rear roofline and quarter panels look good, whereas what Dave came up with just looks like a standard utilitarian taxi/police car Fury.
And gunmetal looks better than red, and it even has "dork dish" hubcabs for Chargervert!

View attachment 1592034
Well if you are going to turn an awesome car into a 4 door dorkmobile,then you have to go all out and put the dork dish hubcaps on it as well! Did you see the 70 Hemicuda convertible at Mecum, with the goofy yellow wheels and dork dish hubcaps? If that was my car,I have those removed faster than the fastest Nascar pit crew could!

A man with a Dream and an aggressive brain tumour. I commend Dave that he saw it through to fruition and died knowing that he did what he wanted, despite the negative continuously thrown his way.

I still contend there's some ponzi scheme at Mecum, this car was sold last year as well !
The guy who sold the car last year at Mecum, was the same guy who sold all the wingcars there last year including the former David Spade Hemi Daytona Charger that sold for 1.3 million dollars. He bought a few cars from Dave Walden's estate,and was forced to take the four door Barracuda monstrosity in a package deal if he wanted the other cars. It received a single bid and was immediately short hammered sold at Mecum last year. The Fish took the bait,and wound up on the plate.

the four door Barracuda monstrosity in a package deal if he wanted the other cars. It received a single bid and was immediately short hammered sold at Mecum last year. The Fish took the bait,and wound up on the plate.

my next question would be...... are there actually 2 or more people willing to bid against each other to own it?

and on the reality TV auction point...... "the internet" sure wins a lot of the bids
:rolleyes:

:thankyou:

My guess is that Mecum short hammered the bidding at last year's Kissimmee so they could buy it. It's been listed at at least 2 of their auctions since then. Mecum owns several hundred cars which they bring a number of out to each auction as fillers, publicity, and/or to eventually flip for a profit.

My guess is that Mecum short hammered the bidding at last year's Kissimmee so they could buy it. It's been listed at at least 2 of their auctions since then. Mecum owns several hundred cars which they bring a number of out to each auction as fillers, publicity, and/or to eventually flip for a profit.

You mean everything is not as it seems on tv?

1705515675732.jpeg

Yeah, Greg needs to check his color bias.... Gonna start thinking he's not really a Mopar guy.... :poke: :poke:

Oh well, I don't really like red... Even though I own two red cars...:lol:
I'm with you. I'm not a fan of red ..... (black is my LEAST favorite car color, for me to own, anyway) and I have four red cars.

Auto Transport Service
Back