• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The 4-door Barracuda at Mecum

I haven't read this whole thread, but.....
I'm sure the effort and quality of the work is outstanding, ....
...but it's still terrific execution of a bad idea from the get-go.

Is that the real black ghost Challenger? That reminds me of the 71 Challenger R/T that had the vista cruiser roof grafted onto it,that used to be seen at Carlisle years ago.
This one?

71 Challenger Wagon.jpg

Spade bought that bronze SB for 900K and sold it for 1.3M?

Not the bad deal we all thought at the time then, eh?

It actually looks usable.

...and I've always thought the vista cruiser roof was cool.

I've seen it in person but don't remember if the back seat folds down.

I'm with you. I'm not a fan of red ..... (black is my LEAST favorite car color, for me to own, anyway) and I have four red cars.
I love Black... On someone else's car.. Especially if they are the rare type that can keep it up at a high level..

It was a Gold Hemi 4 speed low miles Daytona not a SB
he bought it from Time Welborn's collection at a Mecum for $900k
& nonreserve buyers' fees so $990+ taxes/Lic/reg.,
well over $1,000,000 out the door

It was a Gold Hemi 4 speed low miles Daytona not a SB
he bought it from Time Welborn's collection at a Mecum for $900k
& nonreserve buyers' fees so $990+ taxes/Lic/reg.,
well over $1,000,000 out the door

I knew that, just mis-typed trying to same keystrokes.

Still high 200K profit is not too bad.

I believe that David Spade lost money on the car,I think he sold it for $750k. The person who bought it from Spade sold it again,then the last seller bought it and sold it for 1.3 million dollars,if I am remembering correctly.

Last edited:
That Challenger/Vista Cruiser thing was built by an amateur somewhere I assume but the lines and everything else work on it.

Red...Yeah, I know the color isn't a favorite of everyone. I hadn't had a red car before this one of mine that was F8 green originally. I once considered stripping the '70 down and changing it to B5 blue, a color that now stands at the top of the heap for me.

This car is FK5, Burnt Orange metallic. When that color is new, I like it. When the clear fades, it looks really bad to me. I want to paint it B5 eventually....

View attachment 1592068
Hey Greg, ginger would look fantastic in F8 in my opinion, remember many redheads have green eyes

I personally feel like every green car has been painted In Violet/Plum Crazy. Having a car that was factory FC7, I gravitate to them. It feels that 9 times out of 10, there’s F8 on the fender tag. I’ve thought I should paint mine F8 if/when that time ever comes.
Travis..

You'd expect a run of luck like that from Joe Dirt, but not a savvy muscle car enthusiast. :rolleyes:
I bought my A33 GTX the same year Spade bought the Daytona, for about 5% of what he parted with. Car recently hammered for 60% more than I paid for it. That Hemi Daytona didn't do half that well. The stock market beat both by a mile. I love them, but hesitate to consider them "investments."

Auto Transport Service
Back