• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The 67 got a new battery today.

1967coronet

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:49 AM
Reaction score
Went out to napa and bought a 800 CCA Legend battery for the 67.
I like to shop local but damn.
To napas credit the old one was a little over 8 yrs old. $189
I know walmart ect is cheaper just not sure how long they will last.
I have a deka in the plow truck I was eye balling then talk myself out of that lol.
Took the old girl to the car wash and sprayed her off then. Got to do a service and were ready for spring.

I just went through my credit card statement for March and I bought five, yes five batteries in one month. A new personal best. Two for classics/cruisers, one for my dump trailer, one for my mother-in-law's car and one for my wife's Sportsman 500. I should be good for a while (but maybe not).

There are only 2 actual battery manufacturers.
so, no matter whom yoy bought it thru, odds are very good it's the same battery as elsewhere, just different decal.

so, no matter whom yoy bought it thru, odds are very good it's the same battery as elsewhere, just different decal.
I've heard that, I think Exide is or was one.

Stryten & East Penn
are the "major" 2 manufacturing USA companies
lead acid

not so sure about the AGM batteries
I found one called Clarios
& East Penn both make the bulk AGM in the USA

listed as mfgrs
Johnson Controls
Exide Technologies
East Penn Mfgr
Bosch
GS Yuasa
Trojan Battery Co.
Crown Battery

Last edited:
There is a kit out there to make a modern battery look more old-time. My batteries that I dressed up are both Walmart Group 27. This Weskcar battery dress-up kit is around $25.00, and includes caps and decal. Caps just push in holes. They have a website showing their products. Ships from France in under 2 weeks. I have likely ordered 10 various ones for myself and friends. Always satisfied.

P1090282.JPG

P1090284.JPG

P3030019.JPG

P3030014.JPG

Like so many things today, we argue about which is the best. The one thing they really have in common, none can be bought for under a $150.00 and $200.00 for the best of the same. Even back in the 70's, Standard gas stations sold a silver and a gold battery. They were both the same, gold was more and they were betting you wouldn't own the car in 5 years.

I figured out the battery game years ago when I was young and broke. I'd buy the cheapest battery I could find and they never lasted as long as the warranty, but they would prorate it when you purchase a new one. So if it was a 60 month battery and you only got 30 months, you could buy the next one for 50% of the list price. It sounds like a bargain, but you only got half of what you paid for the first time, so in the long run, you pay exactly what it would cost if the battery lasted for the full warranty period and then died. By vastly overrating the life of the battery, they kept you with their brand since you couldn't buy a new brand for the same price. If there were only a couple months left in the warranty you might choose another brand, so they made sure the remaining warranty was significant to keep you on the hook.

I figured out the battery game years ago when I was young and broke. I'd buy the cheapest battery I could find and they never lasted as long as the warranty, but they would prorate it when you purchase a new one. So if it was a 60 month battery and you only got 30 months, you could buy the next one for 50% of the list price. It sounds like a bargain, but you only got half of what you paid for the first time, so in the long run, you pay exactly what it would cost if the battery lasted for the full warranty period and then died. By vastly overrating the life of the battery, they kept you with their brand since you couldn't buy a new brand for the same price. If there were only a couple months left in the warranty you might choose another brand, so they made sure the remaining warranty was significant to keep you on the hook.
I've bought one of everyone made in my time except, Optima, it may be the best, but no thanks. I go to autozone, close to the house and in and out. Like the others, their warranty is in the hopper now, compared to years ago. I get years out of them and that's good enough for me. I think next time I'll go to Costco.

There is a kit out there to make a modern battery look more old-time. My batteries that I dressed up are both Walmart Group 27. This Weskcar battery dress-up kit is around $25.00, and includes caps and decal. Caps just push in holes. They have a website showing their products. Ships from France in under 2 weeks. I have likely ordered 10 various ones for myself and friends. Always satisfied.

View attachment 1642160

View attachment 1642161

View attachment 1642162

View attachment 1642164
Same here. I aint payin $400 for a so called resto battery

Im about $175 in my Modified AutoZone battery all in

20230901_101503 (2).jpg

20230901_101940 (3).jpg

I bought a NAPA battery for my F250 and it was $245.

Been fortunate with batteries around here over the years; I'm convinced there's no real "good ones" left out there,
not like in olden times anyways.
The tractor (20 years +) has had only one replacement; keep in mind, it sits out in the cold in winters, too!
Little Japanese diesel apparently doesn't require much; clean the terminals once in a while and that's it.

The '04 Ram has had a few over that same 20 years, including an AGM once - once. Didn't last any longer than a
conventional one, so when it was time to replace it a little while back, I did the swap in the Wally World parking lot
and bought one of their $89 specials on the spot (the parts store "gold" one is over $200). Works fine.

The '12 Charger has had two replacements; placement under the trunk floor next to the spare no doubt leads to
shorter battery life I'd bet. Of course, it takes its' own series battery, so it hurts in the pocket when it needs one,
but there's little warning when a battery is failing in one of those. It's a true go/no go.

Fred in his 13 years of my battery abuse has had two batteries over the years; I put a big-arse 800cca in him since there's
room ("Gold" from the box store) and use a brand name Tender on him in winter and he never fails. $200 a whack...

bought the Mopar Performance battery in 2010 and it is still going strong. I just put the dress up kit on today

I had the replace the battery in my Charger. I found an AGM at Rock Auto and with shipping and tax was $20 cheaper than anything local. Arrived in 2 days.

Auto Transport Service
Back