• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Bendix 4 piston ordeal

I had to rebuild the 4 piston disc brake system on my coronet over the winter after car sat for 20 years, I had those calipers sleeved 25 years ago in stainless and they were still in perfect shape but the company that did the sleeves only re-used the OEM pitted pistons and they were not usable. I tried to find replacement pistons but couldn't find anything, found a couple NOS sets on "made in the USA" re-seal kits though in the process. I looked into having new pistons machined but that was going to be close to a $100 per piston!!

Eventually I just bit the bullet and ordered a set of the Cardone calipers, I got them off Rockauto and the shipping was reasonable since I too am up in Northern Canada. The calipers are darn good replacements I mic'd and measured everything and they were spot on....bolt up fine and all the brake lines went on fine. The only issue is the bolts that the bracket mounts to are not tapped, and the OEM bolts won't work since they are a different thread, I ended up just welding a nut to the top of the bolt and was able to mount the brackets.

I have put about 250 miles on them so far with no issues.

I got the car w/ the disc's swapped, I am not sure if the spindle is the original. I am sure someone here will know if you can keep the 68 disc spindle and swap the caliper/rotors. Good luck.

Spindles get swapped over when changing over to different calipers.

(Here's what factory 66-69 B body disc brake spindles look like.)

Bendix Spindles & Shields 006 (Small).JPG

Bendix Spindles & Shields 005 (Small).JPG

Last edited:
Check with John Stuart in Stoney Creek he rebuilds them .
Take this advice and call or email them.They will be better than new as long as your pistons are in good shape.Where in Ontario are you

Pits in the bore isnt the problem as the seal is in a groove in the bore. and the piston rides on said seal. Provided said groove is clean and pit free

These is a square cut O ring in between the 2 caliper halves thats prone to leak

Pits in the bore isnt the problem as the seal is in a groove in the bore. and the piston rides on said seal. Provided said groove is clean and pit free

These is a square cut O ring in between the 2 caliper halves thats prone to leak
KELSEY HAYES, A body calipers are the ones that have the seal in the top of the bore.
BENDIX, B body calipers are the ones that have the seal, on the piston themselves.
That's why BENDIX calipers need to be sleeved if the bores are pitted to holy hell.

BENDIX Caliper Pistons Seals.JPG

KELSEY HAYES, A body calipers are the ones that have the seal in the top of the bore.
BENDIX, B body calipers are the ones that have the seal, on the piston themselves.
That's why BENDIX calipers need to be sleeved if the bores are pitted to holy hell.

View attachment 1478448
Ah...

Guess it's been longer than I thought since I've had one of them apart.

I have a 69 charger with the dreaded leaking Bendix 4 piston calipers. Unfortunately I paid to have these rebuilt and finally got them back on the car 3 years later and they are still leaking from the pistons. I can’t justify rebuilding these again so curious what everyone else is doing for alternatives? Keeping in mind I’m in Canada, parts can be tough to come by, is there any Options to mount up to my existing spindles etc? Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks
Contact Calipers Online, Calipers Online. He rebuilt my Bendix 4 piston original calipers for my 67 Charger Hemi. After I installed, I had an issue with one of my pistons and I returned to him for repair under warranty. He repaired and shipped back to me no charge. I also have a set of the Cardone 4 piston calipers as a back-up, that I bought a few years ago. The only probelm with Cardone, is they don't have the correct bolt head size, nor the drilled out head for the caliper bracket. I bought a correct size bolt and took to a machine shop and they drilled and threaded the hole on the bolt head to accept the bolt size for my bracket. Good luck.

From the factory all three bolts were drilled and threaded that hold the two halves together.

IMG_1622[1].JPG

IMG_1621[1].JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back