• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Elephant In The Room: unloading the load from a B-body.

I know I've posted before about this feature, but not the procedure. Man, was it hair raising and fingernail biting.
What you see here is a super lightweight Corning rear light, but heavy on the nerves it is indeed when installing.
Why? The cars roof line and bottom weatherstrip channels are convex shaped whereas the Corning pane is flat with a hair of curvature to it.
My friend who drives me crazy (Rick The Palm Reader) and I were like.................... what!:poke:

On the ringer I was in a NY minute with Jim and Cyndy Kramer, who were the people I purchased it from perhaps 10 years ago. He walked me through it saying that it would not pop or shatter if you bent it a little to meet the curves.
On went the thick gloves, long sleeve shirts, eye goggles and a sign of the cross across the chest.

After calling Jim and Cyndy a second time with doubt in my voice, they directed me and my chattering teeth to speak with Hemi Eddy in Michigan. He mirrored what Jim had said with extreme detail, "the glass will bend into shape"

Sure enough, it did make the curves. How? it is less than 1/8 thick and has some bend in it. We were floored and in awe once we reluctantly opened our eyes again, one at a time, to see that it had indeed settled into its respective shape.

Here it is, all 10-3/4 Lbs lighter than the original.

Thanks to the Kramers and Hemi Eddy and most importantly, Rick The Palm Reader.:lowdown:
Next will be the application of the vintage decals......................... but weight, how much do they weigh? LOL.

0-5.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a question for the automatic racers. Do you have an external trans cooler? I have a buddy racing a wild 10 sec Demon (A-Body) and he doesn’t run a cooler at all, just a line connecting the two ports on the transmission. I have an external cooler for my Belvedere, but could shave a pound or so if I eliminate it.
-Matt

Last edited:
I have a question for the automatic racers. Do you have an external trans cooler? I have a buddy racing a wi led 10 sec Demon (A-Body) and he doesn’t run a cooler at all, just a line connecting the two ports on the transmission. I have an external cooler for my Belvedere, but could shave a pound or so if I eliminate it.
-Matt
External B&M plate cooler. Coolest my transmission has ever run.
Never heard of a connected inline protecting a trans and converter from it's own heat. Fill us in.

I have a question for the automatic racers. Do you have an external trans cooler? I have a buddy racing a wild 10 sec Demon (A-Body) and he doesn’t run a cooler at all, just a line connecting the two ports on the transmission. I have an external cooler for my Belvedere, but could shave a pound or so if I eliminate it.
-Matt
If you go rounds and want to win, a cooler is your friend. When it's 10 minutes in between rounds you'll be glad you have one. My buddy is a hitter in NHRA S/C and S/G runs the trans fluid thru an intercooler running engine coolant for consistency. Not to mention the fluid and parts last longer when the temps are below 200F. My 64 has been 8.96@150. The bands have close to 800 passes, the high gear frictions close to 500 passes.
Doug

Fast weight loss.

Right Stuff Rear Disc Brakes. 52 lbs.
IMG_4394.jpeg

Strange Steel Drag Race Disc Brakes. 24 Lbs
IMG_0340.jpeg

28 Lbs removed with 12 Lbs being rotating weight.

Got to say that the Strange brake kit is as easy as it gets for installation.

Fast weight loss.

Right Stuff Rear Disc Brakes. 52 lbs.
View attachment 1600186

Strange Steel Drag Race Disc Brakes. 24 Lbs
View attachment 1600188

28 Lbs removed with 12 Lbs being rotating weight.

Got to say that the Strange brake kit is as easy as it gets for installation.
With these weight evictions, I'm curious as to what your first 300 ft reaction will be and then the last 300 ft upstairs.

Waiting waiting. Green Brgs removed
i had to pump the entire area where the G bearing sits with silicone because they would start weeping oil past the 0-rings, i called rear end specialties who set it up and that was there only solution. the day that i have to pull the axles i will have to use a come-a-long to pull them out..

i had to pump the entire area where the G bearing sits with silicone because they would start weeping oil past the 0-rings, i called rear end specialties who set it up and that was there only solution. the day that i have to pull the axles i will have to use a come-a-long to pull them out..
Which exact silicone did you use? I gather you fixed the problem. I've had the same problem with one side of the G bearings.

Which exact silicone did you use? I gather you fixed the problem. I've had the same problem with one side of the G bearings.
In applications like that, I use the white pipe thread sealant. Like trans dipstick o ring as an example

In applications like that, I use the white pipe thread sealant. Like trans dipstick o ring as an example
you're not talking the white pipe sealant tape are you? If they make that stuff in a tube it's new news to me. I would think the stuff is not that thick enough or oil resistant to take on gear lube head-on. I could be wrong.

you're not talking the white pipe sealant tape are you? If they make that stuff in a tube it's new news to me. I would think the stuff is not that thick enough or oil resistant to take on gear lube head-on. I could be wrong.
I'm not a fan of the tape, it's ancient technology. This stuff is an important part of automotive assembly if you ask me. Exh bolts, intake bolts, any wet hole bolts.. and as personally tested, like I said o rings.
20240129_125131.jpg

With these weight evictions, I'm curious as to what your first 300 ft reaction will be and then the last 300 ft upstairs.
Probably going to be some shock adjustments happening the first while as there’s been a fair bit of weight come off. 50 up front, 25 mid ship and 28 on the rear diff.

On my parts chaser it has green bearings too, with the right side seeping. I did the silicone job on it once so far, think it needs it again. That’ll be a spring thing.

I have seen similar , often weeping/leaking through the bearing . I fitted factory inner seals - problem solved . This was on my Strange S60 .

Tex

I have seen similar , often weeping/leaking through the bearing . I fitted factory inner seals - problem solved . This was on my Strange S60 .

Tex
Heck of a good idea. The seal must run right next to the ring.

Auto Transport Service
Back