• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Great “Matching Numbers” debate So what say you?

Wow, you're gonna fit right in here... :rolleyes:
Ha ha funny!!! I used to be a member here years back , had to rejoin , yea I know the gig up in here . If you want pics of my cars , pm me I’ll post them that way

How much does it hurt the value of an early Gen 2 Hemi car that doesn't have the original block but has a warranty replacement block? How many original engine Hemi cars do you think are still out there compared to the number of them originally built?
1966-1971

Ha ha funny!!! I used to be a member here years back , had to rejoin , yea I know the gig up in here . If you want pics of my cars , pm me I’ll post them that way
Aw c’mon man. Pretty safe space here. Let’s see your baby(babies). I love my charger so much I’d show off the crude floor patch and aluminum tape in the trunk pan.

Personally? I'm not interested in targeting numbers matching cars. I would rather save up front costs for build options. In the late 70s when I was a high schooler? This was not an issue. The Muscle cars were then 10+ years old. The only cars a working teen/20 year old could afford? The richer kids drove the late 70s Trans Ams and such. My '66 GTO 389 4-speed terrorized them. And my work on that car was only for more performance.

This numbers matching. Investment ownership completely misses the point of that era in my opinion.

I somewhat disagree , putting a car back to how it started life doesn’t miss the point , it makes the point. Hot rodding cars has been going on from the beginning of automobiles, but in the late 50s into the 60s that all changed with factory muscle off the showroom floor . Having a correct car from that era in time and having it represent as intended says something loud and clear.

"Numbers Matching" but not for sale. And only valued at about $5,500. 383, a/c, automatic. One family car. Gets driven at least 4 times a week.
20210911_125527.jpg

Aw c’mon man. Pretty safe space here. Let’s see your baby(babies). I love my charger so much I’d show off the crude floor patch and aluminum tape in the trunk pan.
Ok ok here’s one that I have , you all can blast me for being a trader
This is a numbers matching car and with the optional M22 trans. W code 454
80C2C4C6-C206-4FB9-BE69-E4AAF105D014.jpeg

I somewhat disagree , putting a car back to how it started life doesn’t miss the point , it makes the point. Hot rodding cars has been going on from the beginning of automobiles, but in the late 50s into the 60s that all changed with factory muscle off the showroom floor . Having a correct car from that era in time and having it represent as intended says something loud and clear.
I certainly understand the allure today. But one would get even less love from the hotrod crowd that preceded muscle car. In fact. I heard plenty of flack from the elders calling muscle cars. (Factory sellouts) But that of course only strengthened resolve. (Every generation does their thing. I still don't get the "Tuner" culture? But they don't care. I'm the old dog in their world. Lol.)

Last edited:
I certainly understand the allure today. But one would get even less love from the hotrod crowd that preceded muscle car. In fact. I heard plenty of flack from the elders calling muscle cars. (Factory sellouts) But that of course only strengthened resolve. (Every generation does their thing. I still don't get the "Tuner" culture. But they don't care. I'm the old dog in their world. Lol.)
I agree . As to The tuner crowd, well if we turn back the clock to their childhoods , what was really offered in an American muscle car? A fox body Mustang , a Camaro, and a VETT? Maybe a Grand national ?

How much does it hurt the value of an early Gen 2 Hemi car that doesn't have the original block but has a warranty replacement block? How many original engine Hemi cars do you think are still out there compared to the number of them originally built?
1966-1971
Good post , I think value is adjusted at least 20% or more lower for a nom Hemi car , how many left ?? 50% of them ?? Those cars seemed to get saved and were Coveted more than most other muscle cars .

View attachment 1217297
OMG! What is that? Is it supposed to look like that? M22? Isn't that what A833's eat for a light brunch? But it is 50+ years old. And deserves some love.

OMG! What is that? Is it supposed to look like that? M22? Isn't that what A833's eat for a light brunch? But it is 50+ years old. And deserves some love.
Ha ha yea , my ole lady loves loves loves the Chevelle , it’s very comfy for her for she has had a few lower back surgeries, rides smooth and steady. Lots and lots of torque . Fun car for sure .

I have posted plenty. But once again. A '69 GTX that's not even close to numbers matching. In fact? I can't even confirm it's entirely all GTX? Has Sport Satellite fenders. Front pad numbers match VIN. But trunk numbers don't. Neither does engine. It's a '68 block. But no HP stamp. But does have 915s. With a purple grind cam that performs as just one step up. A32 on fender tag suggesting an automatic trans. But is 18-spline 4-speed and has Dana rear. Interior not even close to fender tag. But has 150 speedo.

I only know last 25 years of history. The car sat most that life. But somebody did mix/matching some 30 years ago. That person has passed. So just guessing at this point. But in my world? PERFECT... I can do as I will with no big sin if a performance upgrade is entertained. The car was a $20k car 3 years ago. Today? Who knows?

I have posted plenty. But once again. A '69 GTX that's not even close to numbers matching. In fact? I can't even confirm it's entirely all GTX? Has Sport Satellite fenders. Front pad numbers match VIN. But trunk numbers don't. Neither does engine. It's a '68 block. But no HP stamp. But does have 915s. With a purple grind cam that performs as just one step up. A32 on fender tag suggesting an automatic trans. But is 18-spline 4-speed and has Dana rear. Interior not even close to fender tag. But has 150 speedo.

I only know last 25 years of history. The car sat most that life. But somebody did mix/matching some 30 years ago. That person has passed. So just guessing at this point. But in my world? PERFECT... I can do as I will with no big sin if a performance upgrade is entertained. The car was a $20k car 3 years ago. Today? Who knows?

hoovie has a Hemi 4 speed Superbird that has ( a different... none) VIN in the trunk gutter. He says the nose is steel, so it’s real. And he would know. :)

It’s a beautiful car

It’s a beautiful car
It shows good. And performs better than expected. I guess if you're going to beg? I'll trade for your Chevy? (It has a split bench front seat(s) Very comfortable for the Mrs?)

It shows good. And performs better than expected. I guess if you're going to beg? I'll trade for your Chevy? (It has a split bench front seat(s) Very comfortable for the Mrs?)
Never happen , wife will not allow me to sell it let alone trade it

View attachment 1217297

Back in the 70's it seemed like there were allot of 70 Chevelle SS's.. Granted most were 396 cars but I knew of three that were 454's.. These days you simply don't see them... Nice!!

Okay.. My first post in this thread was DILLIGAF, & I stick by that... But FWIW my Challenger is numbers matching, kinda wish it wasn't, it would make the changes I make easier... I keep all the original parts but since I like driving my car I've added EFI, I'm gathering parts to add an O/D trans.. I've added bigger sway bars & better shocks... If it weren't a numbers car I would probably add a 5 speed...

IMG_7488.jpg

Back in the 70's it seemed like there were allot of 70 Chevelle SS's.. Granted most were 396 cars but I knew of three that were 454's.. These days you simply don't see them... Nice!!

Okay.. My first post in this thread was DILLIGAF, & I stick by that... But FWIW my Challenger is numbers matching, kinda wish it wasn't, it would make the changes I make easier... I keep all the original parts but since I like driving my car I've added EFI, I'm gathering parts to add an O/D trans.. I've added bigger sway bars & better shocks... If it weren't a numbers car I would probably add a 5 speed...

View attachment 1217417
I find nothing wrong with day 2 changes at all , you keep all the OE stuff in a box and that’s that . I to have a 70 challenger U code 4 speed track pack car that’s all numbers matching and restored back to OE. I too wouldn’t mind to add a five speed in there however I’m not going to mess with the car and it’s a shame for me and where I live it’s too nice to drive around, I sweat every time I drive the car and it’s not really a good time when that happens. I currently have it up for sale it’s a very nice car very well done when it sells I will be sorry to see it go.

Auto Transport Service
Back