• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Great “Matching Numbers” debate So what say you?

I will say that after buying this latest "numbers matching" car....for the most part...however you want to describe that...I have a little remorse. I'm again faced with the can't really make a lot of changes routine.

Part of that is that because it's possible to lower the value of it for resale at some point and also, don't ask me why, but I think the rarer versions of cars that are mostly intact should stay that way for future generations. But I have no problem with people doing whatever they want with their property.

In the future, I am going full on restomod to not care about that aspect anymore.

In my experience (and just my opinion), Mopar people are the worst about this question. They tend to be the ones that look down on your ride if it isn't numbers matching. With my Dart, I did not care. It was a nothing special car, so when I built it, I built it the way I wanted. And nearly everyone loves it. The only people that hate on it are Mopar purists. But I don't usually give two shits about what they think.

The Road Runner I am purchasing is restored mostly to stock. But it is not the original engine (although it does have a 69 casting date on the block) or original transmission. I don't care about either of those things because it is exactly what I want - a 69 Road Runner with an automatic and bucket seats.

Ultimately, the only person this should matter to is you personally. I say go with what makes you happy. If that is numbers matching, no problem. But I'm going to do what I'm going to do to satisfy me.

When it comes to someone wanting date coded wheel balance weights, that's when you say "WTF are you FN serious". Yes this was brought up to me.

I will say that after buying this latest "numbers matching" car....for the most part...however you want to describe that...I have a little remorse. I'm again faced with the can't really make a lot of changes routine.

Part of that is that because it's possible to lower the value of it for resale at some point and also, don't ask me why, but I think the rarer versions of cars that are mostly intact should stay that way for future generations. But I have no problem with people doing whatever they want with their property.

In the future, I am going full on restomod to not care about that aspect anymore.
Well said I agree with you

Angela Dorian (aka Victoria Vetri) playmate of the year in 1968. Original unrestored survivor now in her 70s. Still has her figure, hair now gray, nicks and scratches that come with time. Women fifty years younger still try to emulate her 1960s look, with a modern day chassis, like the restomod deal. As an aging baby boomer, I like the originals, but I understand the appeal of the newer stuff.

Auto Transport Service
Back