• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The non-existant U-joint

moparist

Local time
4:09 PM
Reaction score
:angry1: I bought a 65 Coronet 500 HT last year in Louisiana and it has been kicking my butt steadily for a year. I had to replace everything under the front and back end of the car and it fought me tooth and nail. I'm about to get it together for a trip to the alignment shop when the drveshaft/rear yoke u-joint attacked! The rear chunk has gone to a 741 case with a 3.23 posi. The old chunk used a standard 7260 u-joint. The yoke on the 741 is for a 7290 style u-joint EXCEPT it uses the same small caps (1 1/16") as the 7260. So far I haven't located a correct conversion u-joint either locally or online. All the 7260 x 7290 joints use the larger 1 1/8" caps on the 7290 length axis. All four caps must use inside snap rings. Does anyone know whether:

1) anyone makes this u-joint with the smaller caps on all four ends?

OR

2) the small caps can be substituted for the large caps (if the inside diameters of the two caps are the same)?
I'm thinking of growing my hair back so I can see it turn gray!

Its 7290 wide with small caps? Thats strange. Never seen or heard of it. Might be time for a yoke change. I would swap caps and see what happens if its not sloppy on the cross

Yeah, what daredevil said. I always align myself with the most popular u joint and be done with it. I prefer the 1350. It's big, but it aint goin nowhere.

I had the same issue with a chunk that I purchased. Just swapped yokes. Any reason not to replace the 741 yoke with the old one that used the 7260 joint? Most 8 3/4 are ten spline and interchangeable. 741 and 742's don't have crush sleeves, so it's a simple swap.

Several years ago I replaced the rear u-joint and I still have the box. I believe it was the smaller 1 1/16" cap. Look for Precision Universal Joint # 315G. This part should still be available for around $15.

Nick Tiberio
FuryUs63

Thanks for the input, guys. I fgound a guy on ebay who had the 7260 x 7290 joint for sale. I asked him if he would check and see if the big and small caps could be interchanged on the joint. He did check and they used the same size cap support on all four legs of the joint. I've got one (actually 2) coming and will see how they fit. I've found that there are actually three different cap sizes on these joints, 1 1/16 (1.067). a middle one (1.079) and the 1 1/9 (1.125). If this u-joint doesn't fit, I do have the old rear end I removed (it had a bent axle tube) with the pumpkin still in it. It does have the old 7260 yoke. I didn't want to swap em because I wasn't sure if it would effect the pinion setup. So thanks to Furyus63 for that tidbit. I'll keep you posted when the u-joint arrives. I also read a forum somewhere that said these joints are no longer being built. I have seen the 315G joints but I think they were 7260 both ways. My mind is a blur of u-joint minutia at this point. Thanks again.

Barry Richard
moparist

Auto Transport Service
Back