• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The old GTX motor

bobtile

Local time
3:32 PM
Reaction score
So after 51 passes on the motor that took me 17 months to get, it let go.
Last Saturday I made 2 time shots which were about 1/2 a tenth slower than expected. But nothing seemed wrong at the time.
1st round got to about 1000 ft. and it shut off. Coasted off track, tried starting it once but no go.
Towed back to pits where I found the ignition box went bad. Ordered a new one while at the track and had it at my house Monday evening.
Put the box in, fired the motor and heard knocking.
Shut it off and went to bed.
Tuesday morning pulled the oil filter and cut it open. Loaded with bearing bits.
So, the GTX motor went in.
Same stealth heads and 11.5:1 compression that it had. Just switched to a solid roller replacing the hydraulic roller.
Got it running Friday night and put it on the trailer for a race on Saturday.
I timed it when I got to the track.
I'm extremely happy with the results.
On Sunday, I took it to Island Dragway for test n tune and squeezed a bit more out of it.

20210921_171722.jpg 20210927_203846.jpg 20210927_203914.jpg

Don't know why it's showing that way.
Best was 10.09@ 133

Didn’t you have that motor in the car before?
What did it run then?
No, I threw a stock cast crank 44o with these heads and hydraulic roller for 1 race .
It went 11.20 in this car.

Took the car out for a race last Sunday at Island Dragway.
Tweeked on the old engine a bit.
Only got 1 timeshot in, then it rained.
Couldn't be happier with the performance of this thing.
Not sure if you can read the slip but it went
1.36 60ft

20211017_124715.jpg

Lol. That was me in the other lane in my unpainted Corvette. I forgot to drop the air pressure in the tires and it spun right trough the 60ft mark and then some.
Your car hauls ***. You made my car look like I was driving a 4 cyclinder with a miss.

Nice run! :thumbsup:
Oh, wow.
Who knew?
I still can't believe it rained. It was such a beautiful morning.
I was hoping for a couple more passes.

Auto Transport Service
Back