• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The rake look

Everyone has their opinions, likes and dislikes but having had jacked up cars in the 70's and early 80's I cannot say I am a fan at all, I much prefer the low stance currently popular. The cars handle sooooo much better not to mention braking and cornering. But, this is America and people can do whatever "floats their boat", that said most people I have met that want a "snow plow" stance have never owned or driven one and just like the look; those that do it find out it is not practical or enjoyable at all.

All this preaching aside, your options as have been expressed here are shackles, springs, air shocks, shock extensions or air bags. As noted, the extended shocks or even air shocks are not really good options as the shocks and their mounts were not designed to take the weight of the vehicle. If you do go the air shock/bag route, make sure the tire will clear the fender well when there is no air; many a 70's hotrodder shredded their tires when they blew a shock.

I installed Caltracks and it solved the rubbing problem and wheel hop. 295x15r50. I also used a 1/4" spacer, but it would depend on back spacing. Just right.

I would try some blocks or buy springs with an extra arch built in. I've seen to many upper shock mounts broke from running air shocks. Could also try an add a leaf kit to your existing springs.

Guys, on my 68 charger I want to get that awesome rake look by jacking up the rear. How do I do that? How much lift does the Gabriel airshocks give you? I want to be 3” from tire to fender.

I got my new rims and fat Mickey Thompson’s ready to go!
Have you ever ridden in a car jacked up with air shocks ? They ride awful....handle awful.....and if they leak.....your tires will look awful.

Have you ever ridden in a car jacked up with air shocks ? They ride awful....handle awful.....and if they leak.....your tires will look awful.
I have, and that is why I recommended not to use them.

Just remember, if you put a rake on your car, the driveability is reduced. You will have a lean when going around corners. Not good. I used, coil over shocks and have the little rake without the other problems.
RR hot1.jpg

I have had a couple cars that I added in one used leaf on each side, worked great. Searched through the leafs at a junkyard till I found the right width, cut some off till I got the right length I wanted, and put it in the stack.

Got some rake. Car as good at 100 as it is at 45. No handling issues
E5CD05EA-E38C-4894-BDA9-3492E89D3912.jpeg

Got some rake. Car as good at 100 as it is at 45. No handling issues
Handling issues are when you’ve got this kinda stuff and more going on. Another factor is having the front end alignment done after the lift.

35C726F2-CC67-4291-ABB0-D582E2775AC9.jpeg

Last edited:
think most bases have been covered except headlight aim and u-joint problems!
you "can" get an extra gallon of gas in with a bumper fill car

Just remember, if you put a rake on your car, the driveability is reduced. You will have a lean when going around corners. Not good. I used, coil over shocks and have the little rake without the other problems. View attachment 886387
Perfect wheel choice for your car imo.

Back in the day a high *** was the thing for cool looks; but then for those who drag raced there was obviously a specific purpose for it. My pref is a slight rake leaving the front near to stock. As posted, get too far off and it impacts handling as I know happened with me. And in my old Challenger back in '75 with air shocks well pumped to keep 60's tires clear it was a rough ride back and forth WI to FL...ride somewhere between a brick and a rock. We had the car loaded up too, surprised we got the chit in the car that we did. When got home yep, there was some tire damage fortunately only light cuts. Soon after went back to 70's radials and Magnums dropping the air shocks. Felt like a different car.

When it’s done I’ll def show but do you happen to have an answer?
Taller rear tires will give you a little rake depending upon the height of the front tires....mine are 26" and 29" rear. But it's not going to give you 3" above the top of your rear tire if I understand you correctly. I don't believe you'll like the look. I don't believe that you want to max out air shocks either as someone else mentioned. I little rise with the air shocks is all you'll need to get a slight rake....trust me.

Taller rear tires will give you a little rake depending upon the height of the front tires....mine are 26" and 29" rear. But it's not going to give you 3" above the top of your rear tire if I understand you correctly. I don't believe you'll like the look. I don't believe that you want to max out air shocks either as someone else mentioned. I little rise with the air shocks is all you'll need to get a slight rake....trust me.
Ok great thanks, I got my new leaf springs in, will show what happens with it soon!

So I finally got in my new leaf springs after two days of work. No air shocks, just my normal ones. The angle grinder is my new best friend for cutting bolts lol

Here’s the result! Let me know if you guys like it, more pics on Instagram at grizzlyandtrigger

81980A1A-F012-44AE-AFEF-BC6A835A77EA.jpeg

Thank you! Fronts are 18 x 9 with a 275-40-18. Rears are 18 x 10 with a 295-45-18.

Thank you! Fronts are 18 x 9 with a 275-40-18. Rears are 18 x 10 with a 295-45-18.
The sizing to me is perfect upgrade for the Charger along with the stance. I invested a good chunk in new wheels and rubber for mine (although 63 Ply) to 15" thinking that maybe 16" would a set the look better yet. Oh well, stuck with it and too many other investments yet before dropping on another set of wheels.

I admit I am an old fart..hard for me to get used to 40 series tires!

The old time mag-ish look of Kern Dog Charger makes it look way better though. Very pretty car.

Auto Transport Service
Back