• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The superbird that never was.

At the Wing Car Reunion, I saw the wind tunnel 3/8 scale test car and the well known full size creation. NASCAR is the reason it didn't go to production.

The lines of that car with the beek and wing , actually go together really nice. I had the MPC kit when I was young.

It was very cool seeing the G series wingcars go from a wind tunnel test report to full scale running driving cars.

That MPC scale model is my avatar and will be the culmination my BBody project car ("Project Odyssey": I am using a '72 Satellite body). I am currently preparing a small block 305 (destroked 340) at the moment to install in tribute to Richard Brooks.

Brooks story:
https://aerowarriors.com/305_daytona.html

My project thread:
https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/mopa...project-odyssey-a-1972-super-satellite.91765/

project odyssey 50.jpg

Yeah, glad I found that report in the 90s.

It made the whole project possible! When I saw that report for the first time,I showed it to Gary,and said we have to build them!

Wished he built the one design with the complete aero front end and bubbled back glass.
That was the ultimate, but rejected because it cost way too much to consider.
The front on that design started to drop over the front wheels, going forward.

He did consider doing the rear plug,but then opted to cheat the dutch panel,and slant the rear glass like Petty did instead.

He did consider doing the rear plug,but then opted to cheat the dutch panel,and slant the rear glass like Petty did instead.

Yes, Gary Romberg told me that in the 70s.

But, that wouldn't fit the longitudinal template....
In 1971, they had one long template on the centerline of the car.
Guess you'd have to measure a stock production versus a Petty rear glass treatment to see how much they got away with.

One thing that helped the 74 Charger body was extreme rake at Daytona and Talladega.
The lower part of the bumper was also pulled forward, getting more air over the car. The template didn't go over the front bumper. Flairs in front of the rear wheels helped. Rear of car had sharper angles, 1/4 panels to bumper.
Think "Kamm effect".
Lots of little tricks added up.

Last edited:
both of the 71 Superbird clone & 71 Daytona Charger were cool

71 Superbird clone #1.jpg

71 Superbird clone #2.jpg

71 Superbird clone #3.jpg

71 Superbird clone #4.jpg

71 Daytona Charger Clone black.jpg

71 Daytona Charger Clone concept.jpg

71 Daytona Charger Clone winged car #1.JPG

71 Daytona Charger Clone winged car #2.jpg

71 Daytona Charger Nascar #71 K&K Insurance car that never was.jpg

71 Daytona Charger Clone winged car #3 & 71 Superbird clone.jpg

that front nose shape on this clone
looks like it would lift big-time at any speed

compared to the #71 K&K car

71 Daytona Charger Tribute #1.jpg

71 Daytona Charger Tribute #3.jpg

71 Daytona Charger Tribute #2 pistol grip column shifter.jpg

I saw that black Dodge with the red wing at the 1983 Chrysler Car Cub Convention.
Photo was taken at the Chelsea Proving Grounds.
Nose and wing were made of wood!!!!!

It would be Nice if MPC would Re-Issue the model kit.

I agree that the nose works better on the Charger, at least for appearance sakes.

The later body style definitely looks better with the nose and wing IMO.

Auto Transport Service
Back