• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Who or Led Zeppelin?

think about it and pick one...... you can go back and change your vote if necessary

• The Who

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • Led Zeppelin

Votes: 51 76.1%

• Total voters
In 2015 they had not one but two keyboard players on tour.

I liked them both. Probably equally when it came to the actual music. Towsend blew me away with his guitar work on, Eminence Front, where Page would continually put me over the top, Just had an issue with the Who and their antics. No band back during that time was golden. So my vote was LZ over the Who, That being said, I will still spin their respective vinyl records and revel in days gone by...cr8crshr/Bill :usflag: :usflag: :usflag:

Both groups dominated my teenage years during the 70's. And while both are on my Rock n Roll Mt. Rushmore (next to The Beatles and Black Sabbath), I gotta go with Led Zep. Only a few songs, like Four Sticks and Carouselambra, that I skip past.
But, I think 'Who's Next' is one of, if not the best, rock n roll albums of all time. Not one throwaway song on the album.
Live performances swing towards The Who. After about 1970, Zep sucked in concert. For one, they routinely made fans wait 1 -2 hours for them to take the stage. And their studio versions were so complex with Page's overdubs, it was nearly impossible to recreate live with just one guitar. Jimmy didn't help with his 20 minute guitar solos, screeching with a violin bow.

I don't remember seeing that credited on the albums I have.

While known primarily as a guitarist, Townshend also plays keyboards, banjo, accordion, harmonica, ukulele, mandolin, violin, synthesiser, bass guitar, and drums; he is self-taught on all of these instruments and plays on his own solo albums, several Who albums, and as a guest contributor to an array of other artists' ...

I would give my left ----- for a good hit of window pain. So, i could sit back and listen to the old songs of rock and roll. Watch the sky melt and the pools of Waters turn in to pools of Cyclodelic color. Free dome - Freeeee- dome. Where has it all gone. Bell bottom jeans and those tiny tank tops. Long live Jimmy Hendrix music also. Purple haze.

When Keith Moon died, The Who died.
Kenny Jones, while GREAT with The Faces, was not a good drummer for The Who. Roger Daltrey even said so.
To me, all Who music after 1980 sounds like solo Pete Townshend, not The Who.
No offense, but "Rough Boys" wasn't my cup of tea. "Eminence Front" with it's monotonous drum beat compared to Moon's masterpiece on "The Real Me" off Quadrophenia...

What Happened to the Guess Who. Love the song American Woman. It chimes with us Vets. Know many where protest songs over the war but really liked it.

Last edited:
Just like the drunk guy in the back yelling
Free Bird :usflag:

As a musician that was inspired by both I have to say there can be no "either/or" here, for me.
Zep was the greatest rock band of all time, and still is. John Paul Jones was a YUGE influence on my playing in my early days. He and Page were seasoned studio vets (Among others, Jones produced and played on some of Donovan's big hits and you can hear Page's guitar leads on "A Little Help From My Friends" by Joe Cocker) but "The OX" was also a big influence on my playing and it can't be said enough that The Who absolutely changed the game in the mid-late 60s. The hard attack, having fist fights on stage, smashing everything up and the way they dressed and so forth..these guys weren't the Beatles. Then you have to consider the "rock opera" direction that Pete went into. They showed you didn't have to be beholden to the three minute songs that the execs and radio guys demanded.
Now, if I was banished to a desert island and had to choose I'd take the Zeppelin catalog.....but I'd sure be missing some of that Who stuff.

That is the BEST VERSION of SFTD. Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out is one of my favorite Stones albums!

Auto Transport Service
Back