• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Then Came Bronson

The shift work ruined my life because it's the nature of my profession. Other friends of mine on this site do the same thing. (stationary engineers), power plant operators. Seven days in a row for straight time and working all 3 shifts. The midnights are the killer, that's what I am on right now. Been doing this for more than 35 years. It takes an average of 7 years off your life. Only one weekend off a month. Average life expectancy for men is now down to 73. Take half of the 7 years off & I have been dead for about 3 years already, lol. Also, long commutes. I have driven almost 2 million "Mopar only" miles. My health ain't that bad but I'm over 70 now & still kickin; laying on the ground working on cars & stuff. The advantages are we are off midweek & can-do things that "real people" can't sometimes. I did have a real job once, for over 10 years. Monday to Friday with weekends & holidays off; just like real folks! Funny, I remember all of my old phone numbers as well. One of my first jobs was working in a movie theater. We could watch for free on days off! We saw lots of them. I think I saw "Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid" more than 30 times! (I was an usher). In this day & age, I had cable for many years & Netflix as well. I am sorry as I didn't want to ruin this thread. The good folks here on this site help sustain me. Also, with YouTube and such, I can do things like this while being paid! :p
No apologies necessary.
I can relate to the relentless
deadlines. As a mechanical
engineer faced with placing
our best available combat
vehicles on the front line.
Our troops at the start of
the gulf war were getting
hammered with small arms
fire, IED's, and RPG's, in
vehicles designed at WWII
technologies.
We changed that in an
unprecedented 6 months.
Not a single soldiers life
has been lost in these
vehicles since combat
placement. I had a personal
interest in this development
as my son was in country
(Army) while I experienced
many a sleepless night.
Mission Accomplished.

Thank You & Your Son for Your Service! Luckily, I had a High draft number & Vietnam didn't sound like something I wanted to experience, Thank God!!! Ever heard the song "Rooster" by Alice in Chains?!?

Thank You & Your Son for Your Service! Luckily, I had a High draft number & Vietnam didn't sound like something I wanted to experience, Thank God!!! Ever heard the song "Rooster" by Alice in Chains?!?
Yes, I've heard it, and can
relate.

As things change or evolve, strangely enough, they are similar in ways we don't see. A lot of guys in my line of work came from the Navy. They were BT's. They came out of the service with boiler licenses and fell into this profession by default. These days, not many end up the way it used to be. Now they come out with nuclear licenses instead. You'd have to be an idiot to want to work in a hot, noisy boiler room when you could work in a nice, air-conditioned control room for much higher pay!
Since this thread was about a show / movie; there is a fairly recent / excellent film called "Eye In The Sky" which is very suspenseful! Scary goings on in the present-day world!

Last edited:
As things change or evolve, strangely enough, they are similar in ways we don't see. A lot of guys in my line of work came from the Navy. They were BT's. They came out of the service with boiler licenses and fell into this profession by default. These days, not many end up the way it used to be. Now they come out with nuclear licenses instead. You'd have to be an idiot to want to work in a hot, noisy boiler room when you could work in a nice, air-conditioned control room for much higher pay!
Know what you're sayin'..
My nephew is a nuclear
engineer. (Navy, reserve).
My other nephew (same
mom), is a mechanical
engineer with a national
laboratory.
My ego likes to think I may
have had some influence in
that respect.

Last edited:
I am sure You did! / Time for me to wrap things up, morning is here & I must go home to bed, as sick as that sounds! Have a great day sir & what's that British phrase? "Keep Calm & Carry On"! May your way be as pleasant! :drinks:
-Brian

I am sure You did! / Time for me to wrap things up, morning is here & I must go home to bed, as sick as that sounds! Have a great day sir & what's that British phrase? "Keep Calm & Carry On"! May your way be as pleasant! :drinks:
-Brian
God bless...

He could fix his Harley…with a rock. Amazing talent.

Our household still utilized
a rotary phone. What's
really odd, is I still remember
the phone number.
You have brought back memories of the Bronson show and the phone number.
Then came Bronson show got me interested in Harley's,so I bought my first in 1969.
Had to save a few years to come up with the $2,000. Was making $1.00 a hour at a gas station.
Worked 12 hour shifts. Later I got a raise to $1.25 for cleaning the station windows and bathrooms.
The phone number had me thinking,, Ours was MURRY-4 then they shortened it to MU-4 then 684.
If I remember those changes took about 20 years.

Auto Transport Service
Back