• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thermoquad Problem..

268RTs4ME

Local time
1:10 AM
Reaction score
My TQ is running real rich, is there a solution to this problem? Is a rebuild in order, rolling on a 74 440, auto.

How rich is rich? Like Niagara falls of gas, engine barely running and black smoke? Was it running fine before this? Any changes? Float level or a stuck float needle perhaps? Stuck choke?

There are 2 O rings in the carb. There placed in the plastic part, in the wells of the top plates boosters. Once these dry out/wear out, fuel floods into the carb.

Stuck float and etc.... from above are good ideas to check.

Rods and jets are very hard to find. I bend AFB rods to fit and clip the ends not needed to tune the T-Q.

I beleive you are right on the o rings in bottom of well cavity, are probably bad, have a kit coming so will just rebuild, Thanks for the info.

Took TQ off car, remove top of TQ, installed two rubber o rings in well, checked float level, set at 1 inch, reassembled and cured my problems, thanks for the good info, learning more about those TQ's everyday:yes:

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back