• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thermostat Housing Help Needed

You can hit the top with a grinder and then a flap disc on the upper portion and it will look way better.
bp0ihV-1rcjhzr-lIq_lWxMFlNX3GOja83_MpIjfvPK_v_rcyW9G__DJ7AQNhEITAfXSqKzA=w623-h830-no?authuser=0.jpg

V_z52GSmg4oY6lWSY2QqD8z-NlWBwerMXitWxJnB0jG3YdpmC2pJ_oezCD6HhKIrKzs75a4=w1108-h830-no?authuser=0.jpg

ald5HTLoQH2LhfkMdBwgtIQ2PfTfIfzjUvWWAV1J0axZWENsWiB8daTALHfzy3Mrhomh_Ow=w1108-h830-no?authuser=0.jpg

So basically use this in place of any RTV or anything like that?
Yes, it's what I use, been using for 50 years. What you use is your choice, others mention good stuff as well. I never had a leak on mine or any customers car ever. Of course, I ALWAYS ensured any surfaces were straight and true beforehand, how many mechanics have a straightedge in their tool box and USE it ?

Yes, it's what I use, been using for 50 years. What you use is your choice, others mention good stuff as well. I never had a leak on mine or any customers car ever. Of course, I ALWAYS ensured any surfaces were straight and true beforehand, how many mechanics have a straightedge in their tool box and USE it ?
Well, I'm more of a body man than a mechanic, but I'm also a perfectionist, so I do use a straight edge quite often, LOL.

When I was a kid working in a garage, I was going about changing a (water pump ? ) gasket. As I was, the older mechanic asked me what I was forgetting to do before my install. I had no idea. Says, "check the flat". Wut ? I'm not doing a tire, I think. He hands me his straightedge, says you never replace a part unless you know it's good enough to put in. He says why do all that if you don't even know if it will seal right ?

When I was a kid working in a garage, I was going about changing a (water pump ? ) gasket. As I was, the older mechanic asked me what I was forgetting to do before my install. I had no idea. Says, "check the flat". Wut ? I'm not doing a tire, I think. He hands me his straightedge, says you never replace a part unless you know it's good enough to put in. He says why do all that if you don't even know if it will seal right ?
Those are great words of advice, especially today. I look over all my new parts to make sure they are good. You can't assume anything....

Personally, l like to use Permatex High Tak adhesive/sealant (brush on) on the hose ID. Although, i have used another Permatex profuct....windshield glass weather sealant....also known as "Gorilla snot"...its greenish gray....but remains pliable. I agree with the others....clean up your old t-stat housing and paint it....cast iron is rugged and durable.
BOB RENTON

I think you have received a lot of good advice already, but I'll tell you what I just did. My water pump looked almost as bad as your housing. I bought a new aluminum one, and mounted it. Then I figured out it wouldn't work with my AC brackets. I decided to remount the old pump. I cleaned with a wire wheel and then coated it with super "300". I used the "new" gaskets which I had removed twice already. So these gaskets, had been installed 3 times, days apart, and they still sealed perfectly the third time on a pitted old pump. It's great stuff and rated for antifreeze and non hardening. I just think back on how many times I used RTV when this stuff would have been 100x better.

Here is a nice flowsheet from Permatex on their gasket makers.

I think you have received a lot of good advice already, but I'll tell you what I just did. My water pump looked almost as bad as your housing. I bought a new aluminum one, and mounted it. Then I figured out it wouldn't work with my AC brackets. I decided to remount the old pump. I cleaned with a wire wheel and then coated it with super "300". I used the "new" gaskets which I had removed twice already. So these gaskets, had been installed 3 times, days apart, and they still sealed perfectly the third time on a pitted old pump. It's great stuff and rated for antifreeze and non hardening. I just think back on how many times I used RTV when this stuff would have been 100x better.

Here is a nice flowsheet from Permatex on their gasket makers.

That's a great chart. All this advice helps because I have to do timing chain cover, water pump, intake, valve covers, and oil pan!

So we've quickly transitioned from a thermostat housing to a rebuild.
Next up.

Cams, stroker kits and headers.
Stay tuned.

A NOS thermostat housing would never be painted , I would expect a NOS one to be Bare. Please Correct me if i am wrong.

Auto Transport Service
Back