• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They don’t build them like they used to.

The foam in my quarter panel, is destroying the left side of my Caravan. Rust bustin' thru the front of the rear wheel-lip. Great idea....

Dow Corning's floating dock billets absorb water, even though they are "closed cell" and Dow says they won't and were made specifically for floating docks. My docks get lower ever year and it's almost time for me to give in and build new ones. The billets are almost fully saturated.

We used a lot of the foam that comes out of spray cans on the railroad for sealing cracks and leaks. Even when the metal got all rusty, if you scraped the foam away it was bright and shiny steel underneath. I don't know what is in truck wheel wells.

The foam in my quarter panel, is destroying the left side of my Caravan. Rust bustin' thru the front of the rear wheel-lip. Great idea....

this is what that foam **** does to the newer challengers

chal2.jpg
chal.jpg

The foam might not absorb water, but it isn't bonded to the steel either, means water can get between.
Water in between things with no decent breathability means it doesn't dry up. One trip through a car wash and you put water where it can't escape and you get the above.
So maybe the foam is doing it, but more likely the foam is just preventing moisture from drying up more then actually rusting things.

New cars are built so that they are much safer than our old cars. It's not even in question. New cars, however, are much more complicated in that trying to fix issues could be a nightmare. How many computers do they use? How much wire? How easily can components be swapped out?

I'm much more satisfied with my old cars in the ability to keep them on the road longer as long as, 1) they don't rust out and, 2) nobody wrecks into them.

Nice of you to help her out Greg.
Next time.....
3 gals. of diesel , a dark night , a match.

Auto Transport Service
Back