• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thief or Recycler?

Dibbons

Local time
6:45 AM
Reaction score
I did some Spring cleaning this week. So when my 55 gallon drum of trash was full on garbage day, I put the overflow in my beat-up wheelbarrow and rolled it out onto the street along with the drum. The garbage pick-up is Wednesday, but one never knows what time of day the truck will pass by.

About an hour after I set the trash out front, I peeked out there to find the wheelbarrow was gone. I followed the tire track of the wheelbarrow across the street where the track disappeared. I asked the neighbor across the street if she has seen the wheelbarrow and she had not.

I found the trash that was in the wheelbarrow tossed on top of the other trash in my 55 gallon drum. The wheelbarrow was evidently picked up by someone driving by in a vehicle.

Oh well, reminds me of the time I sent a giveaway item out on the street with a sign that said "free". Unfortunately, I had set the item I wanted to give away on top of an old chair and the chair was taken as well as the item.

Last edited:
My neighbor had a pallet of 12 square shingles delivered. They were 10 feet from his garbage cans, so someone hauled them off for him.
Caught in the act, "I thought they were trash" would be the out that let them walk.
Another neighbor watched, but never said a word, didn't remember anything about the truck.

I did some Spring cleaning this week. So when my 55 gallon drum of trash was full on garbage day, I put the overflow in my beat-up wheelbarrow and rolled it out onto the street along with the drum. The garbage pick-up is Wednesday, but one never knows what time of day the truck will pass by.

About an hour after I set the trash out front, I peeked out there to find the wheelbarrow was gone. I followed the tire track of the wheelbarrow across the street where the track disappeared. I asked the neighbor across the street if she has seen the wheelbarrow and she had not.

I found the trash that was in the wheel barrow tossed on top of the other trash in my 55 gallon drum. The wheelbarrow was evidently picked up by someone driving by in a vehicle.

Oh well, reminds me of the time I sent a giveaway item out on the street with a sign that said "free". Unfortunately, I had set the item I wanted to give away on top of an old chair and the chair was taken as well as the item.
:rofl:I know it's not really funny but it made me think what a buddy of mine did years ago with something like that. Also, one day he and I were going down this well traveled road and saw a 65 Chevy on the shoulder so we stopped. This was in like 74. Anyways, someone left a note under the windshield wiper that said 'I will this car today'. Figured it was going to be a note saying they would be back soon. Yup, we took that car lol.

Yeah, around here you can't put anything that you want to keep out on the side of the curb either. About a year ago someone left a large diameter tree trunk in front of my driveway that was on top of a dolly with a broken wheel. The drive wasn't totally blocked but the city came out and got it. I kept the dolly and fixed it. I guess they were planning on making a small table top with that piece of tree. It was about 28" in diameter and about 18" tall....and way to heavy for the dolly or either the wheel on the dolly was already weak. I still have the dolly and no one has come looking for it. Last summer someone left a lawnmower on the edge of the street with the trash. I still have that too and it runs decently.

My neighbor had a pallet of 12 square shingles delivered. They were 10 feet from his garbage cans, so someone hauled them off for him.
Caught in the act, "I thought they were trash" would be the out that let them walk.
Another neighbor watched, but never said a word, didn't remember anything about the truck.
Probably a friend of his lol

My home has been burgled 4 times, 3 of those I let them in...
I still think theft should be a Death Penalty crime..

Help the incurable (meth addict) burglars in Florida by shooting them on the spot.

Our town has one day a year when you can leave anything by the curb, and the town will haul it away free of charge. Can be appliances, old cars, toxic waste, whatever. Entire demolished houses have been piled and hauled away.
One year wife and I clean up the yard of all of the small bits and pieces of junk that accumulate; broken flower pots, scraps of wood, etc. We had four garbage cans full of these small bits. They took my garbage cans, too. Cost me well over a hundred bucks to replace them. It would have been far cheaper for me to just have hauled the stuff to the dump.
I think that they charge fifty bucks to take a car now, but still a good deal.
There are people that drive all of the streets at this time salvaging stuff. My buddy dropped off a guitar amp to me that he picked up, there’s lots of lawnmowers, bicycles, and that sort of thing. Wife picks up huge flower pots if she spots them.
I picked up a beautiful table and chair set for our patio, and a couple of professional mic stands one time.

Went after two new gallon cans of Acetone in the CL Free section. It was on the way to the Dog Park, so let's go. Dropped what I was doing and drove 4 miles. When I got there, the guy loaded me up with the Acetone, full cans of Mineral Spirits, Paint Thinner, 2 gallons of Aircraft Paint Stripper (the old stuff,) and other things that I don't remember.

Our town has one day a year when you can leave anything by the curb, and the town will haul it away free of charge. Can be appliances, old cars, toxic waste, whatever. Entire demolished houses have been piled and hauled away.
One year wife and I clean up the yard of all of the small bits and pieces of junk that accumulate; broken flower pots, scraps of wood, etc. We had four garbage cans full of these small bits. They took my garbage cans, too. Cost me well over a hundred bucks to replace them. It would have been far cheaper for me to just have hauled the stuff to the dump.
I think that they charge fifty bucks to take a car now, but still a good deal.
There are people that drive all of the streets at this time salvaging stuff. My buddy dropped off a guitar amp to me that he picked up, there’s lots of lawnmowers, bicycles, and that sort of thing. Wife picks up huge flower pots if she spots them.
I picked up a beautiful table and chair set for our patio, and a couple of professional mic stands one time.
Every trash day there are people who drive the neighborhoods. I'm thinking scrap prices must be up because gas ain't too cheap anymore. There's one regular who drives my street (long dead end) around 7:30a and she always has stuff loaded on her pickup. Tuesday and Friday is trash day for my neighborhood and sometimes I'll ride my bike late Thursday to see if anything of interest is out and sometimes there is....and what I don't want ends up on CL or FB and most of it sells!

I bet it was a scrapper cause I drive around neighborhoods and pick up metal to scrap

Neighbour had a counter top stove on the lawn FREE, not takers for a week. I said put a 50.00 price on it. She did it was gone 2 days later, and she didn’t get any money.

Neighbour had a counter top stove on the lawn FREE, not takers for a week. I said put a 50.00 price on it. She did it was gone 2 days later, and she didn’t get any money.
A few of the posts here made me laugh - sorry - this one is hilarious. Suppose the higher the price you put on it the faster it will be gone. Think I'll dump my old **** recliner out at the road and put a $100 price on it...maybe the old mattress too.

Ron, it works! A friend put out a sofa for free and it sat for two days. Put a $20 price on it and it was gone the same day.
There is a guy a few blocks from me who has an old 80s F350 stake bed. I see it always full of appliances, etc. Conveniently there is a scrap recycler about a mile away.

I literally just drove by this and had to take a pic!
Some junk you can't give away!!
20220224_142729.jpg

That's not funny. A local Mopar guy drove past a pile like that and his Sublime Green Duster was sitting just like that Camaro. You didn't need a title to sell, and iron was $200+ per ton. Somebody took a good looking, running car out of his driveway and sold it for scrap. The scrappers were too stupid to part out a complete 340 car, they were going to crush it.

A few years ago I had some Exercise equipment advertised as FREE.... You would not believe how many people asked if I could deliver it?????? WTF....

Last edited:
I have a similar story. I bought an air tank to keep around for airing up tires, placed in the back of the truck and thought no more about it, went to a job site meeting and returned to my truck and noticed my brand new tank was missing, son of a bitch. One afternoon we had bad weather roll through and lightning hit all three TV’s in the house and fried them. The wife reminded me that the waste collection station does not accept electronics. So knowing that I had another job site meeting the next day, I loaded all three TVs in the back of the truck and walla problem solved. Lmao

My excavator would put a sign "free dirt" on his excess fill piles. The neighbors went nuts trying to load up as much as they could.

Auto Transport Service
Back