• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This can't be right. Can it?

69 origownr

Local time
12:58 PM
Reaction score
These photos are of the exhaust system off of my 69 Charger 440 R/T. As you can see there is a dent/depression on the driver's side pipe about 9" from the header. In the other photo, both pipes are flattened on the bottom. Both situations seem that they would inhibit good flow. I just don't know if this is normal. Comments please.
IMG_0471.JPG
IMG_0472.JPG
IMG_0473.JPG
IMG_0472.JPG
IMG_0473.JPG

Who knows with headers?
Just to be clear. This car is fitted with original exhaust manifolds and the pipes, to my recollection, have never been changed. I guess what I'm asking is did these pipes come from the factory this way.

Engine masters bashed a set of headers almost closed and it didn't lose much HP.

Just to be clear. This car is fitted with original exhaust manifolds and the pipes, to my recollection, have never been changed. I guess what I'm asking is did these pipes come from the factory this way.
I saw you mentioned headers in your post.
I have not seen pipes beat up like that on cars with factory manifolds, except for one that was driven over rocks around a culvert. Lots of other damage also.
No they didn’t come from the factory that way.

When on the car are the dents close to anything that might have needed to be cleared to fit ?
That dent looks more than what a factory pipe might have but without seeing it on the car it's hard to determine.

Last edited:
Sorry, but I'm gonna tell you they very well could've been that way from the factory. In your case, not for certain, but anyone who'd been under these cars back in the day has seen some ugly lookin' oe pipes.

They did all they could to be sure the pipes did not bang into torsion bars as the engine rocked. They put flats to clear the crossmember and the ground, in some cases.

The originals on my sbird had dents and flat bottoms like that. Accurate Exhaust claims their h-pipes come with all flats and indents.

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm assuming that these are the way they came from the factory.

The original , and I believe replacement pipes did have a sizable dent for torsion bar clearance. It may, or may not be what you have pictured.

My 68 has those flats and dents. I believe it to be an original H-pipe

Those pipes are for cast iron manifolds.
No I don't think those dents are original I've seen several sets for 68-69 and none looked like that.
Sorry I didn't catch that it was an h-pipe.
Please disregard my previous post.

if you saw a downpipe from a 6.5 diesel you would think it was left on the floor in the warehouse and hit by every forklift in the plant and then installed!

Auto Transport Service
Back