• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This can't be right...right?

Flyboy1400

Local time
7:03 PM
Reaction score
Bought a 66 satellite rolling shell years ago and been slowly putting it back together, tried to mock up a new radiator today and I think my core support is out of whack. Having trouble finding good pictures to confirm, but I'm guessing it's supposed to be flat, and the lower support should be 90° to the core support face?
20230430_160126~2.jpg
20230430_155953~2.jpg
20230430_155820~2.jpg
20230430_155850~2.jpg

Somewhere in the past, I bet somebody hooked a chain around that lower part, and dragged the car around or up onto a trailer.

I got just the opposite of that going on with Fred, a recent discovery last fall...
Seems the previous owner liked to do burnouts in front of his garage in Beer-Friday nights.
Bonked into the garage wall with Freds' beak, apparently (he didn't have any brakes when
I bought him 12+ years ago, I recall).
The PO semi-straightened the grille (that is now split at the trim at the top) and put a repop
bumper on and wala, fixed - right?

The big clue for me was when I redid the sway bar bushings last fall and noticed the bar itself
is tweaked a bit side to side - and the brace between the rad support and k-member is not
present at all.
I got one of those from a fellow FBBO member and got under there and some stuff (namely,
the rad support) is going to need some tweaking for it to fit now.
Hammer and dolly for some; for me, a strap come-along and one of the garage support
columns. :)

I also discovered what the bent up piece of sheetmetal that was thrown in the trunk by the PO
(painted just as pretty as the rest of the car, mind you - but tweaked all to hell) actually is:
something called "front bumper lower shield".
No doubt another casualty of "the bonk incident" previously mentioned...
I'll have to figure out how to get that grafted back on Fred, too.
Might even help his cooling a bit??

Auto Transport Service
Back