• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Day in Fred's History PART DEUX - The even BETTER part! (Ed's Got a Story #2)

moparedtn

I got your Staff Member riiiight heeeere...
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:56 PM
Reaction score
(This is a continuation of that loooong day in Fred's history 3 years ago today, as can be found in my thread here):
https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/mopa...-story-albeit-a-repeat.218665/#post-911893253

Ok, when that story left off, I was headed to the store as you may recall.
What happened next was, for me at least, a life-altering chain of events....
(again, this happened 3 years ago almost to the day):
"You all remember the story of my trevails with the GTX the other day with all the hiking up and down our ridge and all that?
Well, there is more to that story once I got to the store.
Time for another story...

PART DEUX!!

When I got it to the store that day, I took the GTX by the gas pumps first, then went to the grocery store next door.
As you all know, when you take one of these old Mopars out, folks tend to want to stop and chat here and there and they pay compliments, tell anecdotes and so forth. It's just something you have to learn is going to happen, even if you find yourself in a hurry or don't really feel up to it - like I was at that point.
I was dirty, hot, sweaty, burnt up and exhausted, but I managed to chat with the few folks who stopped and gave a thankful smile to each.

I got in and out of the store and was headed back out to the GTX to go home finally, walking a ways out to it where I had parked it out past the other cars - when I caught sight of an elderly couple off to my left, parked across the aisle from Fred.
I thought "oh man, I'm so tired and not really presentable in public. I hope they don't want to chat."
Well, you know better than that - and I did, too. I felt a little ashamed of myself for thinking it, too, but man I was just DONE after the whole previous ordeal, you know?

Sure enough, the gentleman meekly approached me at an intercept angle as I got close to the GTX, smiling weakly.
His wife looked pensive, like she was used to him doing such things and sort of wishing he wouldn't - but then, a lot of us know that look in our spouses too, eh?
I finally told myself to be polite and behave myself and show respect like I'm supposed to.

I looked at him and said something like "you like that old car?" with a smirk.
He grins big and says "yes sir, very much so!"
I acted like the car wasn't mine and retorted with some sort of wisecrack like "I wouldn't have that thing if you paid me!"
I instantly regretted saying that...
It was a stupid, uncaring thing to say, even in jest.
I thought "he doesn't know what all you've been through today, dumbass. Your mama taught you better than that, Ed. Straighten up!"
I quickly confessed the GTX was in fact mine and his grin returned to his face. He took my hand and shook it and we chatted some. I thanked him for his compliments and so forth, but I kept noticing his wife's expression wasn't matching his. She looked a little sad, forlorn....so I tried to include her in our conversation, too.

He wanders off to fetch a shopping buggy or something and she then thanks me for taking the time to chat with her husband.
Turned out, there was a reason...
As it turns out, some 20+ years ago he had bought an old Mopar to fix up, too. He was doing it with his then son as sort of a project for both of them to get together a little more often and share in, a bonding thing....and then their son had gotten cancer, the terminal kind, and had eventually passed away.
The car never got done and languished in their garage for a few years. The father never touched it again and eventually she talked him into selling the project just to get it out of sight finally.
My heart sank as she told me all this. I was absolutely flummoxed....
I mean, what does one say at such a time?
I again felt so ashamed that I had tried to get past them on the way to the car before.
I was just so tired, hot and nasty...but I knew better.

I hadn't realized at first that this was one of THOSE moments, but I caught on pretty quick, as if mama was telling me from above to show respect like I was raised and to stop being so self-centered.
I apologized to the elderly lady for my behavior and for the first time, she too managed a weak smile.
She said "no no, thank you for taking a moment to speak with him. Your car reminded him of that old car of theirs and you've made his day now by taking time to chat with him."
I heard my mama's voice in hers right then, no joke - and I understood.
Suddenly, it didn't matter how worn out I felt or how nasty dirty or hot or whatever.

You know how God puts you exactly where you need to be sometimes?
Yeah, it was just like that.
Question was - was I put there for the benefit of brightening up the elderly gentlemen's
day - or my own?

The answer was both, methinks. :thumbsup:

Wow Ed I would of been crushed to hear that. Its funny how God can show us how selfish we can be,or at least me. We never know when its our time or a loved one. I hope one day you will bump into them again.

Wow Ed I would of been crushed to hear that. Its funny how God can show us how selfish we can be,or at least me. We never know when its our time or a loved one. I hope one day you will bump into them again.
Thanks. I'd really like that too - but I'd say odds of it are slim at best.

Great story Ed, thanks for sharing.
Thank you kindly.
It's a constant reminder that we're all truly stewards of these cars -
that we've chosen to own cars that a lot of people are drawn to, identify with in some cases,
which means we've each got the decision to make on how we're going to act when approached by
strangers quite often.

To me, I don't so much own Fred as I have chosen to be his current steward, with the responsibilities
of taking care of him as best I can in the time frame I'm able to AND constantly putting my best foot
forward when others approach and want to check him out and talk to me about him.
A lot of positive things can happen when we choose to do so, after all. I've witnessed it time and
time again myself!

There will be a day, for some (including me) sooner than later, when we'll have to hand our responsibilities
and cars off to the next stewards - and hope they do their best to care for these special machines, too.
Until then, it pops in my mind when I'm approached about Fred - this particular story is recalled and my
conscience says "what would mama have you do here, Ed?"
Can't go wrong with following that, eh?:thumbsup:

(This is a continuation of that loooong day in Fred's history 3 years ago today, as can be found in my thread here):
https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/mopa...-story-albeit-a-repeat.218665/#post-911893253

Ok, when that story left off, I was headed to the store as you may recall.
What happened next was, for me at least, a life-altering chain of events....
(again, this happened 3 years ago almost to the day):
"You all remember the story of my trevails with the GTX the other day with all the hiking up and down our ridge and all that?
Well, there is more to that story once I got to the store.
Time for another story...

PART DEUX!!

When I got it to the store that day, I took the GTX by the gas pumps first, then went to the grocery store next door.
As you all know, when you take one of these old Mopars out, folks tend to want to stop and chat here and there and they pay compliments, tell anecdotes and so forth. It's just something you have to learn is going to happen, even if you find yourself in a hurry or don't really feel up to it - like I was at that point.
I was dirty, hot, sweaty, burnt up and exhausted, but I managed to chat with the few folks who stopped and gave a thankful smile to each.

I got in and out of the store and was headed back out to the GTX to go home finally, walking a ways out to it where I had parked it out past the other cars - when I caught sight of an elderly couple off to my left, parked across the aisle from Fred.
I thought "oh man, I'm so tired and not really presentable in public. I hope they don't want to chat."
Well, you know better than that - and I did, too. I felt a little ashamed of myself for thinking it, too, but man I was just DONE after the whole previous ordeal, you know?

Sure enough, the gentleman meekly approached me at an intercept angle as I got close to the GTX, smiling weakly.
His wife looked pensive, like she was used to him doing such things and sort of wishing he wouldn't - but then, a lot of us know that look in our spouses too, eh?
I finally told myself to be polite and behave myself and show respect like I'm supposed to.

I looked at him and said something like "you like that old car?" with a smirk.
He grins big and says "yes sir, very much so!"
I acted like the car wasn't mine and retorted with some sort of wisecrack like "I wouldn't have that thing if you paid me!"
I instantly regretted saying that...
It was a stupid, uncaring thing to say, even in jest.
I thought "he doesn't know what all you've been through today, dumbass. Your mama taught you better than that, Ed. Straighten up!"
I quickly confessed the GTX was in fact mine and his grin returned to his face. He took my hand and shook it and we chatted some. I thanked him for his compliments and so forth, but I kept noticing his wife's expression wasn't matching his. She looked a little sad, forlorn....so I tried to include her in our conversation, too.

He wanders off to fetch a shopping buggy or something and she then thanks me for taking the time to chat with her husband.
Turned out, there was a reason...
As it turns out, some 20+ years ago he had bought an old Mopar to fix up, too. He was doing it with his then son as sort of a project for both of them to get together a little more often and share in, a bonding thing....and then their son had gotten cancer, the terminal kind, and had eventually passed away.
The car never got done and languished in their garage for a few years. The father never touched it again and eventually she talked him into selling the project just to get it out of sight finally.
My heart sank as she told me all this. I was absolutely flummoxed....
I mean, what does one say at such a time?
I again felt so ashamed that I had tried to get past them on the way to the car before.
I was just so tired, hot and nasty...but I knew better.

I hadn't realized at first that this was one of THOSE moments, but I caught on pretty quick, as if mama was telling me from above to show respect like I was raised and to stop being so self-centered.
I apologized to the elderly lady for my behavior and for the first time, she too managed a weak smile.
She said "no no, thank you for taking a moment to speak with him. Your car reminded him of that old car of theirs and you've made his day now by taking time to chat with him."
I heard my mama's voice in hers right then, no joke - and I understood.
Suddenly, it didn't matter how worn out I felt or how nasty dirty or hot or whatever.

You know how God puts you exactly where you need to be sometimes?
Yeah, it was just like that.
Question was - was I put there for the benefit of brightening up the elderly gentlemen's
day - or my own?

The answer was both, methinks. :thumbsup:

Been there, done that, but, I was the man you're talking about. I now will give anyone a ride, anytime, anywhere! You never know what a person's going through. It changed me. That's one of the reasons it's only a car to me, other things are more important to me. That's why I give stuff away, hope it brings happiness to others who may be carrying a burden. You I like Ed, thanks for sharing!!

Ed— I’m mum on this one , a tip of the schlafly ball cap to you on this one .. We are all really care takers so make the best of it.. Thanks for sharing.

Auto Transport Service
Back