• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This guy went to great lengths to save his A-12 block…

I cannot imagine anyone under any circumstances wanting to put that block back into a car. It "looks" like a good repair job; however, it will never be as good as one of the millions of undamaged blocks that didn't spend 50 years in a mud puddle. I am looking at all those gasket sealing surfaces. All you need is for one microscopic fracture to occur between two dissimilar metals after a few heat up/cool down cycles and pretty soon you have a big problem. At that point, someone is kicking themselves for paying a premium for matching numbers... or for paying for the rebuild at all. Worse yet, someone pays a premium for the matching numbers but is NOT shown these pictures or told about what went into the repair.... just sayin'.

Last edited:
Wow - that's kind of the engine version of a rebody.
It's actually the engine version of NOT doing a re-body; kind of like a when a complete rust bucket is restored by replacing every rusted out structural frame member and body panel except for the roof. Then you hope that doors, fenders, hood, trunk, bumpers, glass, etc. all line up... AND hope the car goes straight down the road.

Last edited:
I don't see how this repair is going to measurably effect the strength of the block. All the corrosion is on the periphery where there is practically zero stress.

IF he can get it seal, and IF it will last, then more power to him, but definitely more than I am willing to bite off.

That block looked like it was recovered from the ocean floor next to the Titanic!

Auto Transport Service
Back