• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This should be a sticky. Do you want to be an OEM expert on your car??

696pack

Local time
11:14 PM
Reaction score
Here will be a good start for you if you are willing to take the time to READ and also see how different options effect one another with regards to what COULD or COULD NOT be ordered togather.

I had posted this in another thread that many would likely not read. So here it is again.

Many of you may not be aware of this website but it has a library on it that has many of the Dealer Data & Color and Upholstery Books that have been purchased, scanned, and added to that site. One of our members here (Doug Hammer) 69CoronetRT has contributed a lot to this site.

Take the time to find the books that apply to year car you have if you are interested in how these car came from the factory as standard and with options. If you really study it and some of the packages you will see how a lot of the hipo options were robbed from the police cars list. I was just looking at the 1968 trailer towing package and it shows 5.5" wide wheels as standard and this was in the B body section so they would be 14" diameter.

After you look at it and realize how much time, effort and money was spent on it give a big thank you to Doug and the others that made all of this info available. If you read it religiously you too can be a Mopar OEM "expert."

Here is the link to the site where I last looked at it. Once you are one it go to the home page to see all that is on the site.

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/...aBook-02.shtml

That's great info indeed. Sticky......Hell, we should be able to post that as easy as one of those smiley icon's. With all the drawn out argument's about that type of information, god know's how much time would be saved around this joint.

Sticky it at least!!

Go to the site.
Look on left side bar for 'Library'
Click on it.

Pick jaw off lap.
Spend hours lapping up info.

Hamtramck Historicals is your friend !

That's great info indeed. Sticky......Hell, we should be able to post that as easy as one of those smiley icon's. With all the drawn out argument's about that type of information, god know's how much time would be saved around this joint.Sticky it at least!!

Unfortunately you would not believe How many idiots I have argued with over the years on various web sites and posted scans from books like these as proof of what I was stating only to have them tell me the FACTORY was wrong.:bootyshake:

This is not to say that there are instances where the factory made mistakes in what they had printed or made running changes throughout the years. I had a 1968 Dodge Dealer Data Book and the mating Color and Upholstery Book
(in fact I sold them to a member here) that had several pasted on pieces that had come from the factory to change the books info as the year went on. I have also seen others that had hand written changes made by dealership personell per sheets that had come from the factory.

The bottom line is that these very books were the ones that were in the sales showrooms when these cars were new to help the salesman with details and questions for customers that wanted more info or help in ordering their new car. We referenced these book daily when ordering new inventory and custom orders for clients.

Sooooo, until some REAL MoparGod comes along to tell us differently these are the materials we have to rely on for OEM information.

696pack,
Remember, the brochures were printed before production started and there were changes made the the year.
That is why there were so many PIBs issued.

696pack,
Remember, the brochures were printed before production started and there were changes made the the year.
That is why there were so many PIBs issued.

That is true and I mentioned these things in my second post in this thread. If someone has an arguement about equipment, availability, etc. then you have to be able to PROVE your argument vs. what the factory had published for sales support use. The subject web site ALSO has listings of service bulletins and PIBs.

Thanks for the link to Hamtramck Historical. I'm just one of many people that have contributed. It's really Barry Washington's baby and I appreciate him allowing me to tag along and contribute.

I wanted to be a part of something that wasn't available; a one stop shop to factory information on the web. Much of what is believed can be reinforced, or refuted, by factory material which, before, was unavailable to a large number of people.

Yes, the data books and color and trim books are a good reference but there were additions and deletions to models and options throught the model year. What may have been true at the beginning of the year may have changed by the end of the year. Dealers were sent updates that were supposed to be included in the books. Some of the books on the site have the updates and some do not. Finding and buying books can be a time consuming and expensive part of the hobby. Books we've found may not be complete or updated. We continue to look for updated or upgraded material as it becomes available.

HH contines to grow as more and new PIBs, TSBs and other factory generated information is found.

If you have ANY factory material that you think would be helpful to the Hamtramck Historical virtual library, please contact Barry or me.

registery.....

I had the pleasure of working with Berry a couple of years back. A great guy who is really dedicated to the preservation of all things Mopar.

I have an extensive collection of factory literature pertaining primarilly to the 1969 E-series Chrysler and Plymouth car lines that I purchased from a retired Chrysler engineer at Hershey Pa over 20 years ago, including a tabulation of monthly "service concern" minutes used to formulate the service bulletins issued to dealers. An almost complete collection of service bulletins from sept 68 to early 1970. Most of Berry's 1969 Chry-Ply service bulletins were taken from my collection as well as several other documents. I took great satisfaction in being able to contribute.

I also collected-bought & sold Mopar dealer albums for several years. I had a vendor space at Chryslers at Carlisle where I offered them for sale, At my peak I had over 300 of these albums ranging across the board of all Mopars from 1957 to the early 80's. They have become more diffacult to locate and very expensive for nice ones.
It is correctly stated above that the dealer albums, which were published pre-production, were subject to constant updates, (which sometimes were not added). They are more of a show item then a accurate source of information. Nice to have though.

The Hamtramck registery should be on every mopar guys favorites list.

Will.

i bought some factory lit from doug on my wife's volare. we both enjoyed looking thru it,heck,i think my wife got more excited when she saw what her factory color looked like in the paint schemes then i did.also showed what the colors were for interior that the factory offered.

just tried to click on the link and it would not let me. said something about informing the referal about a broken link.

Yup, it's still not working. Btw, if you knew the right people, you could get certain options that were never listed. I did it as late as 92 when I ordered a 5.2, 3.92 geared Dakota Sport. I wanted the 'truck' mirrors because I was going to tow a boat and the sport package didn't come with the 6x9 chrome mirrors.....and it wasn't a dealer swap out. It came in on the truck like that. My buddy said it was the only Sport that he knows of to this day that doesn't have the sport mirrors on it lol.

I know of a 68 Road Runner that was 'special' built by my bud's brother. He worked on the line back then and they built this light weight 383 4 speed car. They did things like leave out certain braces and the rear seat frame had less wire in it and the list goes on. And hell no the brass didn't know about it!

Oem

I worked in the automotive plants for 30 years....There is NO book on the planet that is 100% correct on every OEM part that goes on every aspect of every car...Its a fact....Ive seen parts shipped in when the lines were going to shut down due to running low on certain parts and they went back 10 years on service parts...If it fit and worked it was installed..Maybe just for a day or maybe a week but all kinds of mix and match stuff went on to keep those cars rolling off the end of the assembly lines...They cared much more for quantity than quality back then...So to say every part was this and that year specific is blind to what really went on...There were standards sure but they were not always met ...I saw it happen all the time..On Moparts there was a huge battle on which zert fittings were correct on this or that..It made me laugh...If they had a box of zerts that were 5 years old in stock they would put em in to keep those lines a rolling along...And when model year changeover came in late summer they would use up every piece of stock in the plant to clear the line and get ready for ther next model..

I know this is an old sticky thread but the link is bad now :) FYI

Attachments

• ling.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 222
That wasn't the point, but thanks for your useless input :headbang:

What was your point? I gave you the link, and you didn't. Doesn't that make your post useless?

Oh, wait. I forgot. Some people would rather just beeaouotch

dnyh37.gif

Auto Transport Service
Back