• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on a hellcat engine pullout for $5500

Congratulations I think is a good engine but a long time proyect, hellcat engines are really sought after, check youtube videos for people who has rebuild this engines.
It might not need a rebuild. I’m sending oil off for analysis. If it’s good, I might not even pull the oil pan.!

It’s a whole different world. 440s supposedly start coming apart at 600-650 crank hp. The hellcats block is supposedly good to 1500 crank and the cranks are supposedly unbroken. The rods are the weak link, but once you swap them out and add more boost or nitrous it’ll supposedly survive at 1200 rwhp or something like that.

Even a stock 707 crank hp is like a well built street big block, peak hp wise.
Not sure about that. The RB block short coming it's under stroked for its deck height. I've seen plenty 500+ ci that run strong for years.

I have a B-block in an A-body with 440 crank to a classic 451. On pump gas. Ran up against 2 hellcats at the strip's test & tune. Once amber came on? Never saw them again. Yes, there is a weight difference. And traction issues with those new challengers. But not the Duster's problem.

ZomboDroid 27062021135616.jpg

Track.jpg

Not sure about that. The RB block short coming it's under stroked for its deck height. I've seen plenty 500+ ci that run strong for years.

I have a B-block in an A-body with 440 crank to a classic 451. On pump gas. Ran up against 2 hellcats at the strip's test & tune. Once amber came on? Never saw them again. Yes, there is a weight difference. And traction issues with those new challengers. But not the Duster's problem.

View attachment 1519756

View attachment 1519757
Honestly, I’d hope a race built duster would beat a new hellcat. Some are approaching 1200 rwhp now though.

It might not need a rebuild. I’m sending oil off for analysis. If it’s good, I might not even pull the oil pan.!
Even better, nice find !!! now from all the used engines I've buy over the years is always a good idea to at least clean the oil collector and clean the inside of the oil pan, besides you can get a good view of how the engine guts are IMO.

Even better, nice find !!! now from all the used engines I've buy over the years is always a good idea to at least clean the oil collector and clean the inside of the oil pan, besides you can get a good view of how the engine guts are IMO.
I agree. I would freshen up. Rings, bearings. Valve job. If you're going to gamble? Gamble with the supercharger. If it's long in the tooth? it will just push lower boost. If hurt? That's another story.

I forgot to say I wouldn't bother waiting for a Mopar ecu, go Holley

I forgot to say I wouldn't bother waiting for a Mopar ecu, go Holley
I just went to the Holley website... They don't appear to have an ECU for the Hellcat, just the 5.7 & 6.4....

I agree. I would freshen up. Rings, bearings. Valve job. If you're going to gamble? Gamble with the supercharger. If it's long in the tooth? it will just push lower boost. If hurt? That's another story.
Yes I'll do that too, pretty much all the Hellcat engines are abused from day 1, at least the bearings those are not expensive and easy to change with the engine out of the car and a compression test.

The car craft series where they hellcat swap a challenger

I will say, LS swapping is cheaper and easier. I can see why people do it. How is it that the only real option for hellcat swaps is the standalone ECU from mopar that is backordered for MONTHS? You can send the factory LS ECU and harness to shops to have it cut down and programmed for your application.
Howisit? There's probably 10,000 LS's for every Hellcat swap.
Heck the electronics necessary to make any gen three hemi swap run probably costs more than a whole LS swap.

And if that was my engine it would be going in my 49 Plymouth business coupe.

Auto Transport Service
Back