• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on a hellcat engine pullout for $5500

TexasRoadRunner68

Local time
8:02 AM
Reaction score
So, I’m sticking with the big block for my charger build. However, I know they will be discontinuing the hellcat engines and it’s probably better to pick one up before they do so if I’d like to have one.

I found a 2018 engine pulled out of a charger. The seller has receipts from buying the car at auction and also photos/digital copies of the title. The car was wrecked, but I’d assume it ran. The seller has never test fired it. Selling as is for $5500, complete from supercharger to oil pan with harness and all accessories but no ecu. I know stand-alone ones are $2500-2800.

Most of these are $9-10k running. I’d have to part with some stuff to buy this, but seems like it might be worthwhile.

Any thoughts?

8AD06DBE-5219-43D2-96F2-C0218EE71DEE.jpeg

4FDE0E17-ADE7-48D7-9692-A9DC7175672A.jpeg

4003488F-7E6C-44FD-B01E-5D4AF1D7BA60.jpeg

AD61D4FD-94B4-46F1-8FE9-6FA68E06A475.jpeg

How many miles? I see a motor and a hull. Probably a good price, but inspect for major parts damage, like engine, transmission and harnesses. If you are prepared to buy a stand alone harness and computer, forget the harnesses.

#1 thought is , don't assume anything.

My cousin got burnt on a 6.1 takeout once

i would assume even if there are some issues, the block, crank, supercharger and accessories are likely worth his asking. But I’m not totally familiar with hellcat parts.

How many miles? I see a motor and a hull. Probably a good price, but inspect for major parts damage, like engine, transmission and harnesses. If you are prepared to buy a stand alone harness and computer, forget the harnesses.
33k miles. This was the car before the guy parted it. He is keeping the trans for his build.

This would be an engine only deal.

03DB9D1B-4A98-4281-88E2-4F230729C873.jpeg

33k miles. This was the car before the guy parted it. He is keeping the trans for his build.

This would be an engine only deal.

View attachment 1514185
The engine is probably worth the price. When you build a car around that engine, plan on 25-30K plus the car and its restoration. Been there done that, with a 6.1 build.
20190615_111517.jpg
20190615_111424.jpg
20190615_112745.jpg

You made a statement or two above that would make me real suspicious about this engine.
1. He took the supercharger apart to look into the engine.
2. He is keeping the transmission for his build.
Both those statements post a red flag for me. Why would you buy a Hellcat Charger, part it out, keep the transmission, and cull the motor. Think about it, I would pass.

You made a statement or two above that would make me real suspicious about this engine.
1. He took the supercharger apart to look into the engine.
2. He is keeping the transmission for his build.
Both those statements post a red flag for me. Why would you buy a Hellcat Charger, part it out, keep the transmission, and cull the motor. Think about it, I would pass.
Point #1--- you don't "get a look inside the motor" on a gen3 just by pulling the top off the supercharger....

well my feelings on a rounded over car , did it run while it was upside down and screw up the crank do to lack of oil pressure , because the sump is on top of the engine at that point . i'd be pulling the pan first before i purchased it .

disagree . well i guess you've never had a car upside down and still running before . always check those bearing for lack of supplied oil pressure . and this car is a high performance machine , and to get it on it's lid , there was some radical driving going on . i don't think this happened just driving to church on sunday morning .

disagree . well i guess you've never had a car upside down and still running before . always check those bearing for lack of supplied oil pressure . and this car is a high performance machine , and to get it on it's lid , there was some radical driving going on . i don't think this happened just driving to church on sunday morning .
I see I'm not the only one getting Red X's with no follow up post to justify it... I rarely click the Red X & if I do I'll always post why I disagree... I feel like it should be SOP...

I was under the impression that a whole bunch of other parts were needed to get the performance out of that engine - ECU, BCM, pedal, tank modules etc.
Also, the transmission is what heps the appeal of the engine as a unit. Without the trans, you might run into more problems down the line.

I investigated by a Hellcat on a pallet from Cleveland a few years ago.....a lot more money than you are showing us here....and that's when they are available.

Worlds First Hellcat Turnkey Engines! - Cleveland Power & Performance

These pallets are ready to go....obviously not road legal like that. :lol:

That rascal looks like buzzards have been pickin' over the bones. Pass....

It's almost at core price for the engine and sc. Oil cooler and ic cooler included?

Auto Transport Service
Back