• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on buying a used tic toc tach vs buying a reproduction

TexasRoadRunner68

Local time
11:34 AM
Reaction score
I’m kinda leaning towards buying an OEM one that’ll match the faded/aged cluster in the car. Cheapest u have found is around $260 untested/as is. I’d guess the clock usually doesn’t work.

I’d need to run the MSD 8920 tach converter to use it with my msd ignition if I’m not mistaken.

Any thoughts on quality of factory vs modern repro?

I’m kinda leaning towards buying an OEM one that’ll match the faded/aged cluster in the car. Cheapest u have found is around $260 untested/as is. I’d guess the clock usually doesn’t work.

I’d need to run the MSD 8920 tach converter to use it with my msd ignition if I’m not mistaken.

Crap shoot. The used OEM most likely will have more issues than the clock. Plus for sure it will need a tach driver box. New has a warranty. Most likely CCJ . Newer electronics it may not need a tach driver box.

I’ve had my fill of used, vintage electronics. Wasted too much $$$ on stuff that doesn’t work, with few options to fix. I’d take a chance on NOS stuff. If you’re restoring a high value car, and the part is correct for your application, you are stuck.

I go for vintage style new stuff these days.

For what purpose do you want it ? Purely cosmetic, ok.

I have a Sunn Super tach II that I’ll probably throw up for the hell of it for the more serious use. The tic toc tach is more of just something cool to have on the dash…better than the clock or delete plate.

Lots of opinions regarding original vs repo. I use original and when restored correctly they are very functional and over-the-top beautiful! Quartz clock upgrade which is accurate and uses very little power (compared to the contact/reset of the original). The tachometer sonic cleaned, jewels polished on sweep mode for 3 solid days, pointer balanced and solid state board is installed (which works with original points and electronic ignition). Tach is calibrated using the same technology as solid state tach board. All original coating removed from face plates, painted, and premium overlays installed which are very accurate, bright white letters/numbers and UV protected. Original is better:)

8FC72DAA-FA60-4E8A-8067-04D21C6C8175.jpeg

I went with the Dakota Digital replacement (The RTX Rallye setup) and have been beyond impressed. Full discloser took a minuet to get and they certainly don't give them away but it has performed flawlessly and added form and function to my car. Remember As stated options are out there!

resto28b.jpg

resto29.jpg

resto29b.jpg

resto29d.jpg

IMO.....go for the reproduction unit. It has a warranty, modern electronics, likely or possibly a quartz clock movment and it will be far more accurate than a used OEM unit. You will need the tach adaptor/driver to match your ignition systekmK. The Dakota Digital products look great and work well but are expensive.....just depends on your budget and decision....the reproduction unit looks exactly like the OEM.
BOB RENTON

Auto Transport Service
Back