• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thurust bearing taken out on new build. Help

Dispatch

Local time
8:14 PM
Reaction score
I've had a 505 stroker built for my 68 super bee. rebuilt 727 trans for high perf, new tci 3500 stall and new flex plate. put everything together. runs great, plenty of power. problem is oil filter is full of gold and silver shavings. pulled enging, dropped oil pan and thrust bearing is chewed up. engine guy says it's trans. trans guy says its engine. just wondering if anyone has had this problem????

Had a buddy just go through this on his 500" bracket motor. Our main engine builder said he's seen a rash of shitty thrust bearings.

Oil passages on bearing facing the correct way?
1712856725092.png

Did you put a Dial Indicator on crank and
check thrust bearing clearance when assembled?

You'd be surprised at how many people don't check crankshaft end play properly. Could be converter issue. Perfect reason to build your own stuff and keep notes.

If the engine and tranny are in the car still... get under the engine and try to move the crank fore and aft just to check what level of movement/clearance you have (there should be a little). If you have none... something could be bound up. If you have a lot then that confirms the need to replace the thrust bearing. Nevertheless if it does move, especially to the rear, watch the flywheel and converter.

I've seen more than a few converters lately that are to snug in the crank. Various brands of cranks and converters. Make sure the converter slides forward to the flex plate by hand with no bolts. Thrust failure in BB Mopar isn't to common.
Doug

You hear about this happening to someone every year or so. But the problem is it seems like we never end up hearing what the resolution was so we can't pass that knowledge on to the next guy when he has this problem. I wish we could tell you that so-and-so had this problem and this is what it was. Please keep us posted.

You hear about this happening to someone every year or so. But the problem is it seems like we never end up hearing what the resolution was so we can't pass that knowledge on to the next guy when he has this problem. I wish we could tell you that so-and-so had this problem and this is what it was. Please keep us posted.
Rick glad you joined our group we all can benefit from your knowledge. SM

I’m mostly a 4 speed guy, but in my experience, a converter not fully seated typically takes out the pump long before it would damage the thrust bearing. Always something that should be checked on assembly as stated.
However, I recently saw, or read an article about some kind of flow restrictor
can be installed in a modified automatic transmission? Prevents the converter from pushing so hard on the crank.

I believe this was a GM application, but could apply to Mopars too? I’m sorry I don’t remember more, but maybe someone here with 727 experience might know about this if applicable.

As stated, thrust bearing issues not common on these engines. I’ve had them live long n happy lives with 3400# pressure plates. Good Luck, hope you find a solution.

snout of T.C to large for the centering hole in crankshaft & preloads the crank onto the thrust bearing when trans is bolted up ???

Just throwing some stuff out there.

I have seen main bearings installed with the wrong half in the saddle. That would cause lack of oiling.dropping the bearing cap would tell you. The motor would still run…
Are you sure it’s the thrust bearing? It could be cam bearings too. Especially if there was a problem installing the cam bearings not lined up correctly or one of the main bearings installed upside down or a cam bearing not properly lined up for oiling. See if there is silver/gold in the galley.
If you drop the inspection plate and loosen/disconnect the converter, will the converter spin freely?
It’s been years since I installed an automatic transmission but I know that if you don’t rotate the converter to drop into the pump properly that could cause issues but you should have had issues bolting it up if that was the case. Someone else did mention that.

Either way I would think you have to remove the engine, disassemble and inspect. Your bearings and oil passages are all contaminated. Sorry for that.

I believe there was a “first time” woman mopar engine builder on YouTube that had the exact same problem. You may want to search the topic and check for a diagnosis cause I remember a ton of people sending comments. Including myself.

Keep us posted. Hopefully no real damage but your bearing journals should be inspected and measured. Oil pump disassembled etc. IMO anyway…

Good luck

Just throwing some stuff out there.

I have seen main bearings installed with the wrong half in the saddle. That would cause lack of oiling.dropping the bearing cap would tell you. The motor would still run…
Are you sure it’s the thrust bearing? It could be cam bearings too. Especially if there was a problem installing the cam bearings not lined up correctly or one of the main bearings installed upside down or a cam bearing not properly lined up for oiling. See if there is silver/gold in the galley.
If you drop the inspection plate and loosen/disconnect the converter, will the converter spin freely?
It’s been years since I installed an automatic transmission but I know that if you don’t rotate the converter to drop into the pump properly that could cause issues but you should have had issues bolting it up if that was the case. Someone else did mention that.

Either way I would think you have to remove the engine, disassemble and inspect. Your bearings and oil passages are all contaminated. Sorry for that.

I believe there was a “first time” woman mopar engine builder on YouTube that had the exact same problem. You may want to search the topic and check for a diagnosis cause I remember a ton of people sending comments. Including myself.

Keep us posted. Hopefully no real damage but your bearing journals should be inspected and measured. Oil pump disassembled etc. IMO anyway…

Good luck
If the main bearing was installed upside down you would have way more issues that the thrust. The rods fore and aft of that journal wouldn't get any oil with the oil feed hole located in the cap.
Doug

When the torque converter balloons, it can put additional stress on the thrust bearing, potentially leading to premature wear, increased friction, and, ultimately, failure.

If the main bearing was installed upside down you would have way more issues that the thrust. The rods fore and aft of that journal wouldn't get any oil with the oil feed hole located in the cap.
Doug

I would hope all of the bearings and journals will be inspected. The motor is out so I would think cam,rod, main bearings should all be inspected if particles have been traveling through the engine. Wear patterns as well. Start from scratch and rule out everything.
A lot of possibilities. Was there a burr on the saddle to distort the bearing or crank? Were the bearings checked for clearance? End play? Wrong bearing? Plastigauge everything? Is the thrust bearing worn on just one side?orboth? Was the damper torqued properly?
A lot of trust goes into someone assembling your engine for you.

Last edited:
I would also like to hear about any fixes/thoughts.
Exactly the same thing has happened to a friends 505 engine. The engine has not come apart yet but I will post here if we find anything definite.
Start with anything that can load the crank in the direction the wear is - assuming it is only one direction.

Auto Transport Service
Back